First start after winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so it's late February, but I'm going to pretend I'm through the worst of winter.
wink.gif

My project firebird sat in a snowdrift untouched, mostly because I didn't want to constantly scratch the paint. Also figured layers of ice and snow on the t-tops would actually protect things from "junk from above."

Anyhow, I was inspired to see how it'd do. Parked it in late November with a little sta-bil but no battery charger, no disconnecting the battery etc. Only other prep was putting the tires up to 50 PSI.

That's great. What was the outside temp when you started it?

I'm curious how my bike will start after sitting through the winter. Probably won't touch it for at least another month. But this one's fuel injected, so I'm not expecting any drama. My last bike was carburated so it always took some coaxing to get it going after a winter brak.

Outside temp was 43'F. However I'm sure the underhood was lower as it was insulated with a snow blanket.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Were those the rods?

Rattle was probably lifters. Cleared up quick IMO.

2.8 liters of fury in there.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

Seasoned GM owners have no issues recognizing that V6 burble.

It may be patented.

Harley managed a patent or trademark on their "missing a plug wire" sound.
27.gif
Could be urban legend, but my Yamaha Virago V-twin had a "goats belly" 2-into-1-into-2 exhaust apparently designed to avoid this.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
That's great. What was the outside temp when you started it?

I'm curious how my bike will start after sitting through the winter. Probably won't touch it for at least another month. But this one's fuel injected, so I'm not expecting any drama. My last bike was carburated so it always took some coaxing to get it going after a winter brak.

Mines fuel injected too. I haven't started it since last September. I only start it if I'm going to ride it.
Maybe May or so before I'll get to ride again.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

2.8 liters of fury in there.

Seasoned GM owners have no issues recognizing that V6 burble.

I know that sound well.

Had mine out Sunday for the first time since mid-December, just because the roads were dry.

k6l8.jpg

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Maybe May or so before I'll get to ride again.

Depressing, isn't it? The 2 feet of white stuff outside my window can't melt soon enough... More of the white stuff in the forecast for the next few days...

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Only other prep was putting the tires up to 50 PSI.

50 PSI? Is that an F250 firebird? Maybe that pressure helps in snow?

Originally Posted By: css9450
Had mine out Sunday for the first time since mid-December, just because the roads were dry.

Nice shot!

I bike through Glen Ellyn often when the weather's good.

Originally Posted By: AHC
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Only other prep was putting the tires up to 50 PSI.

50 PSI? Is that an F250 firebird? Maybe that pressure helps in snow?

It helps keep them from going flat as quickly in the snow bank. Or maybe not at all. I can't get at their valve stems.

There's snow around the rear bumper, which is why I didn't run it that long. Didn't want CO poisoning or even all that water vapor lingering around underneath.

Nice Fiero!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back