installing Linux to replace XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mud

I've been checking online info, including here, about how to change the OS and wanted to ask BITOG's B&B advice/tips.
I'm not blessed with computer skills.
Our current home desktops are Windows XP, used for internet, pics, general documents, etc.
Despite following advice on deleting temp files, programs that take lots of memory, having anti-virus on the machines, things I could attempt within my skillset, the pc's have gotten slower and SLOWER.
I'm tired of dealing with it and it seems that going to a Linux OS is a good route, but which one? These are not extremely old machines, I know they have 2GB RAM and can find out more info if needed.
I have also already backed up docs, pics, etc to an external hard drive.
thanks for your help
smile.gif

ubuntu

it will lead you right through it.

If you can burn an image CD-Rom (ISO) you're 9/10 there.

Stick it in, boot it up off there, it will give you options to play with it without messing up your hard drive, install it solo, or install it next to XP, with the option at boot time.

After Ubuntu went with Unity as the user interface, I went to Linux Mint which I think is better especially if you are coming from an XP frame-of-mind.

It's a choice obviously. My vote is with Mint.

I installed Mint on one of my old netbooks that had XP on it originally. I haven't spent much time with it as I don't really use that machine anymore, but it seemed fine. I'm sure I could have gotten accustomed to it.

thanks very much, looks like concensus is for Mint
smile.gif
I'll give it a shot.

Originally Posted By: Donald
But remember you have an old 32 bit slow machine. Linux is not going to help all that much. You need a faster 64 bit processor and more memory.

You'd be surprised. Kubuntu flies on the old ASUS laptop I setup for my son and it is only a 32-bit rig.

When XP support ends next month I am planning to migrate to Linux on my business machine. Just this morning I was reading reviews of different distros. Currently I am leaning towards Peppermint 4, based on Ubuntu/Lubuntu, with some characteristics of Mint. Apparently Peppermint is very easy to install, is geared towards old slow hardware, is cloud oriented, and has a unique browser app feature which should be useful for the online banking we do.

I have three old computers that use XP. I moved an old compaq presario to Linux Mint. I think I'll put ubuntu on an old sony vaio. I have a HP laptop, probably will put kubuntu. just different flavors. I got way too many computers.

I did the following:
downloaded utorrent
downloaded winMD5free
downloaded infrarecorder
checked to verify my pc has a 32-bit processor.

I went to linuxmint.com and downloaded the torrent for Cinnamon 32-bit.

But when I did the MD5 checksum for the download vs the website, they did not match. Re-downloaded several times, all with the same result.
Did I do something wrong or does my pc have an issue? Virus software on it is AVG and nothing was found in scans, but I know that may not mean all is ok.

thanks, trying to learn as I go.

You should just be able to download the iso and then burn that to a DVD. From there simply boot from the DVD. I'm not sure what you're doing...

Use the direct download and not that torrent trash.

I always had MD5 issues with torrent downloads - sometimes the data chunks don't get re-assembled properly.

I swear some ISP are breaking torents on purpose...

I'm running Ubuntu on this machine that I'm posting from. The machine was a Wally-World special that cost $298 probably 8 years ago. It is old enough that I have to hit F2 every time because the battery is now failing. Yet it boots up faster than the Win 7 machine that sits next to it but is only a couple of years old.

If I understand correctly, from this page:
http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=143

I would not download the torrent file at the top of the page, but select one of the mirrors that is shown? (specifically there's U of Oklahoma), download it, burn to a CD, then start the pc with the CD in place?

thanks.

Yes, you have the gist of it. The download from OU looks to be the whole file. Just remember to burn as an ISO image. That's the important part. Also, don't burn at max speed setting- instead slow it down some. Quality is important.

FYI, I just came from XP- I had been running it forever. Like since it first came out more or less. It was moved to a newer box along the way, but needless to say, I was familiar/comfortable with it. A few years ago, I wanted to switch to Linux to get away from Massive Soft, but when I tried the live CD and/or a dual boot, it never ran right so I gave up. Well, since support is ending for XP now, I decided to attempt the plunge again. With some guidance and support from members here, I tied into Mint Mate. It ran great and "felt" similar to XP. Now I'm playing around with Ubuntu... It's looking like it'll be a cold day before I go back to Windows/Massive Soft.

But like others have indicated- it's not hard. Once you get rolling, I would be surprised if it takes you more than 20 minutes before you're surfing the web. Probably closer to 15. Try that with a windows install!

I really appreciate the guidance into these for-me untested waters lol, thanks!

I am a little late to the party, here; but Linux Mint, either the MATE or Cinnamon edition, is what you're after. It *is* Ubuntu but with a different (read: more traditionally a desktop) interface and some proprietary codecs and plug-ins, etc. that are not exactly legal to re-distribute in the U.S. pre-installed.

Cinnamon is prettier, MATE is faster, lighter and more stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back