'98 Honda Accord - SputtersTo A Stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Finz
By the way, Honda web site tells me the problematic ignition switch was replaced in 2002

Mine was also replaced once before I got the car.

IMO, it's the ignition switch.

I will also tell you point blank that there are probably handful of mechanics in the world who would do a thorough job of finding this problem (For example, somebody like ScannerDanner or SchrodingersCat from youtube) Bottom line is that if you give up, expect dealer or any other mechanic to start throwing parts at it randomly (and the hit to your wallet accordingly). You can minimize damage by coming up with an intelligent sequence of parts to throw at it. A dealer or mechanics will usually use the sequence which is most profitable to him. You on the other hand can alter that.

Depending upon your interest, aptitude, access to tools etc, there are ways of determining if the car has no fuel or no spark or both when it is actively resisting to start.

Another idea but this needs electrical trouble shooting manual. Honda usually implements some mechanism to prevent fuel pump running after a collision. They usually get the output of the tachometer (GOOD) or alternator (BAD!) to decided if the engine is running. If you lose that signal to the fuel pump relay, fuel pump will cut and it will stall. This signal is overridden when you are cranking, so this allows the car to start but if it does not get the engine running signal, it will promptly stall by almost choking to itself.

Last edited:
I ordered the electrical cable and if it takes me longer than 45 minutes to replace, something went wrong. Won't be able to replace until Monday unfortunately

brages - you say the switch was replaced but it was actually the electrical cord, no? Or the entire assembly including keys?

Vikas - I agree... If the replacement cord doesn't do the trick, then I'll keep searching the net for "cheap" alternatives but it could reach a point of diminishing returns as I could end up throwing money at parts willy nilly which could rapidly add up

Cord replacement - easy
Replacing that fuel pump relay - easy

Next step...? I'm going to think positive

Originally Posted By: Finz
brages - you say the switch was replaced but it was actually the electrical cord, no? Or the entire assembly including keys?

I replaced part# 35130-S84-A01. This is a rotary switch (the white part) that is turned by the lock. There is an attached cord with a brown electrical connector on the end. The lock doesn't have to be removed, if I remember correctly.

%21BbgrEtg%21Wk%7E$%28KGrHqMOKikEq4123j8VBKwVe-2OTg%7E%7E_12.JPG

Last edited:
After you replace it successfully, crack open the old one. If you see burnt contacts, then you will know for sure that you nailed it.

Although this does pertain exactly to your car, the previous video gives better explanation and diagnostic procedure.

That's the part I ordered... Anxious to throw it in. Seems to be a straight forward installation

Vikas... Crack open at pin connection end ? I hope I see garbage in there... Would be a relief

Yes... Saw those. Good tip on how not to break that lower panel...!

Last edited:
Was out of town until yesterday and expecting snow at some point today but hope to get this in before the white stuff starts falling.

Threw the new starter switch in - was a straightforward job with only one portion that gave me trouble. There's a plastic surround on the steering column with 3 small screws. One of the screws was in a very awkward position and I lost time getting that screw removed.

In all, probably took 45 minutes

I tested the old switch as per Step 9 of this great step-by-step outline: Starter Switch Replacement

A couple of failures were logged testing the old switch which evidenced a faulty switch and the new switch tested fine. I pulled the old switch apart and noted a fair amount of scoring. I wish I could be 100% convinced that the problem is solved... the issue has been so odd and so sporadic that I'm just not certain this was the root cause. The fact that this is my daughter's ride makes me feel all the more uncomfortable

Hope I'm wrong...

Many, many thanks to all of the input you've provided.

Quick Update: took the car for a long spin yesterday. Even retraced the route where the car first began giving me trouble.

So far, so good

Please put the pictures of the scoring that you noticed on the old switch. There should be some burn marks aka evidence of arching.

Unfortunately I threw it in the trash but I definitely noticed a lot of discoloration. Also, been driving the car consistently with, knock wood, no further issues.

Feeling more confident each day that the replacement switch did the trick

Thanks again for the help... The videos were a lifesaver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back