question on Pennzoil blending

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Honda calls for 5w-20. To even out my stash of Pennzoil at my next OC, I was thinking of using a blend of 3 qts PP 5w-20 and 1.5 qts PYB 5w-30. Would that calculate to a 5w-23.33? Just curious.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Would that calculate to a 5w-23.33? Just curious.

Not really as there is no such thing as 23.33 grade.

You need to look at the actual 100C viscosity of each oil, and then average it out in the right proportions to see what number you get. Then see whether this resulting number is still in the 20 grade or already in a 30 grade. Most likely it'll still be a 20 grade, albeit close to 30.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
My Honda calls for 5w-20. To even out my stash of Pennzoil at my next OC, I was thinking of using a blend of 3 qts PP 5w-20 and 1.5 qts PYB 5w-30. Would that calculate to a 5w-23.33? Just curious.

It is all relative since the -20 and -30 are both ranges not finite numbers. But the results should put it into the high end of a -20 range.

Edit: sorry duplicate post, what Pete said

Your Ridgeline has a J35, right? It'll have no problems with the thicker 20wt.

It is easier to thin an oil than thicken it, you'll end up with a high 20 grade I'd guess. Neither your Honda or you will ever know the difference IMO.

Quote:
It is easier to thin an oil than thicken it...

For some reason this intuitively makes sense to me, but I do not know why. Can you explain it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back