Mobil1 0W40, 5,100mi, VW CC 2.0T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is UOA of Mobil1 0W40 after 5,100miles.

gbkh.jpg

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Looks great!

Yeah, I am taken back a little by such a good cst value. Though, TBN seems to dropped a lot, considering it starts at 10.8. It could be due to the fact that GC 0W30 was in the engine before, so it might depleted TBN of M1.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
That oil didn't shear one bit. Published viscosity is 13.5 cSt @ 100ºC. Good run overall are you going to extend now?

I switched to M1 ESP 5W30 due to intake deposits.
Will do 3K UOA on that one, then 5K.

Originally Posted By: tstep
Silicon very slightly up. New air cleaner? Check for proper fit up?

It is new Air Filter, Mann!

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Have you noticed increased deposits with M1 0w-40, or is this move because M1 ESP is formulated to minimize such deposits?

Why not go 5K on the first run of ESP?

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Originally Posted By: edyvw

Have you noticed increased deposits with M1 0w-40, or is this move because M1 ESP is formulated to minimize such deposits?

Why not go 5K on the first run of ESP?

Nah, I am not going to check deposits every time I do oil change etc. I switched because M1 ESP looks very good on paper, there were some testimonies that that oil left least amount of deposits on 2.0T in Audi Q5, and then there is Lubrizol study where Low-SAPS oils left 47% less deposits on intake valves and 167% less deposits on exhaust valves (VW504.00/507.00 oils).
You saw TBN in M1 0W40, it went down to 2.6, and it starts at 10.8. In M1 5W30 ESP it starts at 6! So I just want to be sure TBN is retained in sufficient numbers.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Thank you for those clarifications. I ask only out of curiousity.

What OCI does VW recommend for this application using an approved oil?

They go for 10K, but considering sulphur in the U.S. gas I think that is way too long.
They switched to 10K once they started to offer free maintenance. So it saves them money, plus they use Castrol 5W40, which is probably one of the worst VW 502.00 oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back