Chemical Guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone used their products? If you have, what were the results like? I like the variety of products they offer, and they are made in the USA! Wanted to ask around on here before I purchased some of their stuff.

Well, I guess I should have been more specific, that's my fault. I have already bought a couple things from them such as their interior cleaner, which is supposed to be similar to the Megs total interior stuff I love, however, not as good as the Megs. I also bought their window cleaner that smells like pomegranate, but not their signature line, and I wasn't overly impressed with that one either.

Both products worked well in the end result, but both also required a two-step process of wiping on then switching to a clean side of a microfiber cloth to remove the haze (regardless of them saying this isn't necessary). This I am not a fan of. The megs stuff is awesome and can be used on any surface with a single wipe. When it comes to paint, I am a little more skeptical of using products that aren't very friendly, especially when multiple steps and layering are involved. I am really curious how their sealants and polishes rank among some of the more widely available products.

Last edited:
The consensus seems to be they're ok, nothing spectacular. They used to be well known for their citrus cleaning shampoo prior to waxing but that's about it. Not really well known for their sealants/waxes. Critic has mentioned Hydro2 I think it's called. Durable protection by spraying it on and drying. There are youtube videos of it and you can google it. Another excellent sealant is Blackfire Crystal seal. Wipe on, walk off since there is no buffing required.

None of their products really interest me. Maybe lack of online reviews or the experts on here and some other forums not mentioning it. Also www.duragloss.com is another excellent option for price and durability. But you have to buff it off.

Last edited:
Thanks satin. I was considering trying a sealant from these guys and was also looking into the Duragloss 105. What's your opinion on that stuff? I am looking to do a complete paint overhaul on the EX I recently picked up as its appearance was neglected by the PO that I happen to know. No rust though so that's a plus.

I've never used any of their products, but honestly there is SO much overlap in their product line that it kinda makes my head spin. I feel like they're aim is just offer a bajillion versions of everything so that you'll basically cross-shop their products with other variations of their own products and essentially forget about the competition. It's like you see they have so many types of washes that you get sucked into it and start wondering, "Well which one do I need?" and by that point either way they win. They dazzle you with so much choice from one place that you don't even feel the urge to look elsewhere as you browse their vast product line.

Not knocking them, just observing what I feel is some interesting marketing. I could be wrong anyway, but that's what I've gathered from what I've seen.

I've purchased a bunch of their products in the past. Some are great, but most are average. Their Citrus Wash and Gloss is a great product. There's a lot of overlap in their line-up, and their marketing can be very unprofessional at times.

To date, I've found that each manufacturer has some great/average/not-so-great products. I've generally been very happy with products from CarPro, Menzerna, Optimum and Meguiars. But if I had to pick one brand that has truly impressed me, it has been CarPro...as every one of their products have been true game-changers in their respective segment.

Last edited:
My overall experience has been pretty good. I like their "Black on Black" plastic trim dressing. I'd say that the jury is still out on their EZ Creme glaze, (although it seemed to help the sealant on top of it bond). I thought their Jetseal 109 sealant was excellent, although overpriced. Their car washes are good, but how hard is it to find a decent car wash? 'd say their XXX wax was probably pretty average.

As someone mentioned, they have a lot of product overlap, and an annoying propensity towards snake-oil sales pitches. Their Jeetseal product for example, managed to have "space-age_ and "nano-technology" hoakum in the same ad campaign. We all know these are commodity industrial chemicals.

I'd say I've gradually moved away from their products. Not much is really "best-of-breed" So if you want a durable shiny sealant, you will get something better or cheaper or both from Duragloss or Collinite, for example. Spray wax? I use the Duragloss product. Maybe something Chemical Guys make is better, but I sure haven't heard about it. No doubt by now they have a good rinseless wash product, but most hobbyists will continue to use the Optimum No-Rinse product.

By no means am I an expert detailer, but I've been doing my own cars for a couple of decades now and have tried numerous products of all sorts, mostly the usual brands from the big chain stores.

After having used CG products, I'll never go back to the mass produced stuff. CG products work better than anything I've ever used. So far I've had excellent results with their microfiber towels, claybars, sealant, water based dressing, shampoo... all good stuff. Like they say in the advertisements, "A little goes a long way."

But don't get me wrong, under the hood I still love my Turtle Wax ICE, and I'll never give up my Aerospace 303 for interiors.

6E53568A-BA55-4E8B-8EB0-C53DE5E86DB7.jpg

See, that picture makes me want a nice collection of the same manufacturer. It sort of gives a comfortable feeling knowing their products are good...assuming they are... Lol

I have an S550 to detail next week... I might pick up a few of their products to try them out.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
That sale is no big deal compared to what I pay on autoality.

How much % do you get off? I went to their site and they definitely had higher prices than Chemical Guys on MOST things. They even sell Chemical Guys stuff, but a $1 more for the 16oz sizes.

Here's my savings:

Code:
DSC-79 TOWELBulk3 [MIC_333_01][MIC_506_01]

1 -$2.07 -$2.07

DSC-86 Bulk3-20 [ACC_113C]

1 -$2.39 -$2.39

DSC-170 EGOLD14 [WAC_CLY_100_16][WAC_101_16][CWS_104_16][TVD_104_16]

1 -$9.99 -$9.99

Originally Posted By: Pablo

How much % do you get off? I went to their site and they definitely had higher prices than Chemical Guys on MOST things. They even sell Chemical Guys stuff, but a $1 more for the 16oz sizes.

He's a member of Autoality's Detailers Club as am I. The percentages you get off vary from product to product but some of the savings are very significant, Autoality doesn't allow it's Detailers Club members to disclose pricing, but I will say it's usually MUCH more than 25%.
http://www.autoality.com/store/pc/Detailer-s-Club-1-Year-Membership-p6664.htm

Last edited:
The couple products from order that I have I've used so far work fine, worth the money IMHO. The InstaWax seemed to work fine at 60°F, El Gordo and Professional Grade Premium Microfiber Towels are a heck of a deal, brushes and such, great products for the dollars.

Still some things I bought I have not tried yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back