Mazda 3 - 2.0L vs 2.5L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: buster
My wife's 07 3 with the 2.5L has been a great car. We have about 90k miles on it. Runs great.

What are your thoughts on the power differences between the 2.0L and 2.5L in the hatchback?

The 2014 3 with the 2.0L and 6spd MT will get 40 mpg. That's a very attractive number. This car will be one of my next choices along with the new WRX.

The 2.5 engine with the i-Eloop system should also bust the 40 mpg mark on the highway.
It uses the capacitor to power the electronics, and decrease the load on the alternator at highway speeds, which decreases engine drag, and improves fuel economy.

I test drove both the 2.0 and the 2.5 in the CX-5 before choosing the 2.5 version last year. I also live at 5k+ feet, so the extra power wasn't just a luxury for me. The power output between the two engines is remarkable, but the 2.0 in the smaller Mazda 3 will feel right at home, and the 2.5 should be for those who love cars with more power than needed.

Remember that the same 2.5 engine in the 3 also powers the CX-5 and the Mazda 6.
184 hp and 185 ft-lbs in that smaller car are going to be smile inducing when you have nice roads to play with.

BC.

thumbsup2.gif

Does anyone know when they will be bringing the MT option to the 2.5L? Right now it's auto only. booooo

They don't want to.
They being MNAO.

They think that they can't sell enough cars with manual transmissions in the US to make it worth it to redirect vehicles with manuals from Europe and Japan to the US market.

Oh, and they won't sell you one in any color other than Grey, or lighter or darker versions of grey. But only in the US. If you live in Canada, you can have color with your manual transmission, but here in the US, if you want a manual transmission, you must feel grey in life, so you must want a grey car to go along with your feelings.

So no, you can't have a manual transmission with a 2.5 engine, unless you are willing to buy a Mazda 6, and you are willing to search the earth to find one at a dealer that is no where near where you live.

Oh, and the Mazda 6 Touring costs less than the Mazda 3 s Touring with a 2.5.
Why buy the Mazda 3 with the 2.5 over the Mazda 6?

BC.

LOL thanks but I read they are bringing it over here for the 2 and 2.5L.

Quote:
For now, Mazda3 buyers looking to shift their own gears will be limited to the base Mazda3 i with the 2.0-liter four-cylinder seen here, although at some point, Mazda says the peppier 2.5-liter four will also be available with the manual gearbox.

Mazda is supposed to be changing their stance on manuals. Up to now, they have limited the option to base models and they wondered why the manuals weren't selling. They finally realized, maybe people want a manual and some nice features like leather, heated seats, defrosting review mirrors, etc.

Not sure when the new practice will go into place, but I think they have said they will start offering the manual in nicer trims of the CX-5 and 3 but I assume they will do it for all models at some point.

I'm told that the automatic mated to the 2.5L version is quite nice. If it held the gear I wanted to going through turns I could own it.

A friend of mine bought a 2.0L model that didn't come with cruise control. I don't understand how any car at that price point could come without cruise control of all things.

Originally Posted By: Mykl
I'm told that the automatic mated to the 2.5L version is quite nice. If it held the gear I wanted to going through turns I could own it.

My CX-5 with the 2.5 engine does just that, if I'm zipping around in a sporting manner.
If you're just put-putting around, then it will always be in the best gear for fuel economy.

Quote:
A friend of mine bought a 2.0L model that didn't come with cruise control. I don't understand how any car at that price point could come without cruise control of all things.

Some people just want a cheap car without things like cruise control.
Mazda thinks it's buyers of the 2.0 i SV are part of that group.
If your friend really wanted cruise control, then they would have selected a trim that came with it. Yes, it's a $1500 premium for the cruise control, but there's a couple of extra features that you get.

Right now, in Mazda's lineup, all trims of the Mazda 3 hatchback come with cruise control.
As for the Mazda 3 4 door sedan, only the very base i SV version doesn't come with cruise control.

I have read that the i SV is already setup for cruise control, all your friend has to do is buy the control switches for it, install them, and then they will have cruise control. That might mean a new steering wheel, however, since I believe the switches are integrated into the steering wheel.

A quick trip to the salvage yard, and your friend has cruise control.

BC.

Originally Posted By: buster
My wife's 07 3 with the 2.5L has been a great car. We have about 90k miles on it. Runs great.

What are your thoughts on the power differences between the 2.0L and 2.5L in the hatchback?

The 2014 3 with the 2.0L and 6spd MT will get 40 mpg. That's a very attractive number. This car will be one of my next choices along with the new WRX.

You can get a well equipped 3 with the 2.0L for about $19k.

Dan Neil just drove the Mazda 3 with the 2.0 and manual transmission and he's in love. Hope this link works: http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303945704579391243579396718?mod=WSJ_LifeStyle_Lifestyle_6&mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702303945704579391243579396718.html%3Fmod%3DWSJ_LifeStyle_Lifestyle_6&fpid=2,7,121,122,201,401,641,1009

Thanks for the link.

So can anyone fill me in on this AT? How is the manual mode?

Quote:

I believe I read the paddle shifters are good. I'm looking for the link now.

"and the automatic’s manual shift mode—operable via the shift lever or steering-wheel paddles—is quick to respond. Sport mode further sharpens the powertrain, and even when left to shift on its own, the transmission always seems to find the right gear."

Link

Being a female, I wanted to chime in seeing as it has been nearly impossible to find a well running 06-09 3 MT.

I had a 2.3L MT and a 2.0L MT 2007 mazda 3 and just wanted to add that having to move to the smaller engine was disappointing. That being said, the hp and the torque are nearly the same for the 2014 2.0L and the 07 2.3L. and the loss of torque in the 07 is what killed it for me.

But on the 2014 you're almost 200 lbs lighter and it looks to have a better stance to the shape than the 07. That is the one complaint I have on the 07, it just feels to tall for its width like its not always confident in taking corners. But, I also can't stand the looks of the 2014 and I tend to forget to drive with fuel saving in mind so they lost me with the newer aesthetics. Plus I just fell in love with the 2.3

So if she doesn't just love the new one, don't let your 2.3 go. Everyone I've found worth driving hasn't stayed at the dealership more than 2 days. I've driven over 200 miles 1 way to test driving clunkers, searching for one like I had.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back