Trop Artic 5w-20, 14,102 Miles, 2005 Honda Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Planned on changing it at 12K but at 11K I was presented the opportunity for a long road trip so I figured I would go for it. Seems to have turned out OK.

Note: toward the end of my last OCI I thought I noticed a bit of start-up noise and the oil light staying on a little longer than just a flash. Figured it was my mind playing tricks on me because it was almost time to change plus I was debating leaving the filter for another interval per the manual. I left the filter and in less than 400 miles I was back under there swapping it out; it was not my mind playing tricks on me. I believe the ADBV weakened or failed so I was getting dry starts after it sat overnight. Perhaps these dry starts added a bit of wear and my next report will be better.

Regarding the silicon: yes it is on the high side of OK but it seems to be in line with other civics.

Enjoy!

Code:

LAB NAPA/WIX

MAKE HONDA

MODEL CIVIC LX

ENGINE 1.7 SOHC

YEAR 2005

OIL TROP ARTIC TROP ARTIC

WEIGHT 5W-20 5W-20

MILES IN USE 14,102 10,017

MILES 158,278 144,176

SAMPLE TAKEN 01/11/2014 06/22/2013

FILTER PUREONE PUREONE

IRON 11 7

CHROMIUM
LEAD 3 3

COPPER 11 3

TIN 2
ALUMINUM 5 4

NICKEL
SILVER
TITANIUM
VANADIUM

SILICON 22 16

SODIUM 17 5

POTASSIUM 6
WATER
COOLANT NO NO

MAGNESIUM 1 8

CALCIUM 2313 2199

BARIUM
PHOSPHORUS 699 633

ZINC 862 736

MOLYBDENUM 81 64

BORON 32 52

SUS VIS 210ºF 8.9 8.4

TBN 1.7

TAN 3.43

Previous Post:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...les#Post3133903

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Sadaf
Planned on changing it at 12K but at 11K I was presented the opportunity for a long road trip so I figured I would go for it. Seems to have turned out OK.

Note: toward the end of my last OCI I thought I noticed a bit of start-up noise and the oil light staying on a little longer than just a flash. Figured it was my mind playing tricks on me because it was almost time to change plus I was debating leaving the filter for another interval per the manual. I left the filter and in less than 400 miles I was back under there swapping it out; it was not my mind playing tricks on me. I believe the ADBV weakened or failed so I was getting dry starts after it sat overnight. Perhaps these dry starts added a bit of wear and my next report will be better.

Regarding the silicon: yes it is on the high side of OK but it seems to be in line with other civics.

Enjoy!

Code:

LAB NAPA/WIX

MAKE HONDA

MODEL CIVIC LX

ENGINE 1.7 SOHC

YEAR 2005

WEIGHT 5W-20 5W-20

MILES 158,278 144,176

FILTER PUREONE PUREONE

IRON 11 7

CHROMIUM
LEAD 3 3

COPPER 11 3

TIN 2
ALUMINUM 5 4

NICKEL
SILVER
TITANIUM
VANADIUM

SILICON 22 16

SODIUM 17 5

POTASSIUM 6
WATER
COOLANT NO NO

MAGNESIUM 1 8

CALCIUM 2313 2199

BARIUM
PHOSPHORUS 699 633

ZINC 862 736

MOLYBDENUM 81 64

BORON 32 52

SUS VIS 210ºF 8.9 8.4

TBN 1.7

TAN 3.43

Previous Post:

I hate this generation of civics.
That being said 10k on this oil on the conservative side
and 12k on the liberal.
Since I hate this generation i would do 12k

Very nice report! I am trying to decide my OCI. My last fill is in the signature. 4 miles one way commute (30-50 mph), plus a few miles during afternoon for the lunch.

At least 3 times, one way 10 miles highway (60-75 mph). sometimes idling in traffic..

What would the ideal OCI??

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Very impressive report for 14k OCI, silicon is a little high.

Is this Trop Artic semi-syn or full syn ?

I thought Trop Artic was a semi-synthetic only.

Originally Posted By: CivicLX
Very nice report! I am trying to decide my OCI. My last fill is in the signature. 4 miles one way commute (30-50 mph), plus a few miles during afternoon for the lunch.

At least 3 times, one way 10 miles highway (60-75 mph). sometimes idling in traffic..

What would the ideal OCI??

Depends on the oil & driving conditions but on this synthetic blend oil 10k would be a sweet spot even if you get some random mildly severe interval.

Wow thanks for posting. I have a large stash of Trop Artic and I would have said these kind of OCI's were way too long for it. Still longer than I'd want to run it but I need to rethink my evaluation of it.

Thanks for posting this OP, we don't have near enough UOA's of everyday Joe kind of oils here IMO.

Another win for the Phillips 66 lubes! I use Kendall semi syn 5w20 and this gives me more re assurement that I have chosen a great oil
smile.gif
Do you know what the major differences between Trop Arctic and Kendall are?

Kendall has a stronger add pack and is also the only 66 PCMO lube to use Titanium as far as I know.

All of the 66 lubes perform well though IMO, at $1.99 a quart the Trop Artic I buy is an absolute steal.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Kendall has a stronger add pack and is also the only 66 PCMO lube to use Titanium as far as I know.

All of the 66 lubes perform well though IMO, at $1.99 a quart the Trop Artic I buy is an absolute steal.

You pay too much! Since you are in the land of Ole Mizzou, orscheln's will put it on sale for $1.79 a few times a year in addition to their $1.99/qt sales.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

You pay too much! Since you are in the land of Ole Mizzou, orscheln's will put it on sale for $1.79 a few times a year in addition to their $1.99/qt sales.

1 SAMs club here has it for 1.37/qt.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

Have not seen it lower than $1.99 at Orschelns in the last two years, that's where I buy it. Maybe prices vary.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt

Enjoy!

Code:

LAB NAPA/WIX

MAKE HONDA

MODEL CIVIC LX

ENGINE 1.7 SOHC

YEAR 2005

WEIGHT 5W-20 5W-20

MILES 158,278 144,176

FILTER PUREONE PUREONE

IRON 11 7

CHROMIUM
LEAD 3 3

COPPER 11 3

TIN 2
ALUMINUM 5 4

NICKEL
SILVER
TITANIUM
VANADIUM

SILICON 22 16

SODIUM 17 5

POTASSIUM 6
WATER
COOLANT NO NO

MAGNESIUM 1 8

CALCIUM 2313 2199

BARIUM
PHOSPHORUS 699 633

ZINC 862 736

MOLYBDENUM 81 64

BORON 32 52

SUS VIS 210ºF 8.9 8.4

TBN 1.7

TAN 3.43

Previous Post:

and 12k on the liberal.

Why do you hate that generation so much? I love the way the 2-door '01-'05 Civics look and drive.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe

Enjoy!

Code:

LAB NAPA/WIX

MAKE HONDA

MODEL CIVIC LX

ENGINE 1.7 SOHC

YEAR 2005

WEIGHT 5W-20 5W-20

MILES 158,278 144,176

FILTER PUREONE PUREONE

IRON 11 7

CHROMIUM
LEAD 3 3

COPPER 11 3

TIN 2
ALUMINUM 5 4

NICKEL
SILVER
TITANIUM
VANADIUM

SILICON 22 16

SODIUM 17 5

POTASSIUM 6
WATER
COOLANT NO NO

MAGNESIUM 1 8

CALCIUM 2313 2199

BARIUM
PHOSPHORUS 699 633

ZINC 862 736

MOLYBDENUM 81 64

BORON 32 52

SUS VIS 210ºF 8.9 8.4

TBN 1.7

TAN 3.43

Previous Post:

and 12k on the liberal.

Why do you hate that generation so much? I love the way the 2-door '01-'05 Civics look and drive.

88-00 civics had the double wishbone suspension, I owned an 00 civic till 320k, and the suspension "looked" almost new when sold, ride felt the same during the 10 years i owned it. In 05 a family member got a 05 civic which drove significantly worse especially while cornering it. This phenomenon was confirmed by my family members.

If I remember correctly 01-05 are one the lowest rated civics on kbb, especially among honda enthusiasts.

The sodium and potassium levels show that there could be a little coolant getting into the oil.
Blackstone doesn't give oxidation numbers but it looks as though a little oxidative thickening may have begun.
Not sure what's up with the non-linear increase in copper.
Could be bearing wear, although lead is low, or could just be a lab error or a fluke.
I have to say that this looks really good, though.
Dave Newton should be proud of you.
Incidentally, there's nothing special about Hondas with "double wishbone" suspension.
The front end is supported with struts in either case, unless my '97, '99 and '12 Accords were some exception in their build and our earlier 'seventies and mid-'eighties Civics had exceptionally good turn-in and with little understeer and they proudly wore struts, with the 'seventies cars having them at both ends.

Looks like I have some catching up to do.

and 12k on the liberal.

I love my civic! Haven't driven any others but I love mine! Why go back to 12k if 14k was fine?

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
You didnt get a TBN reading?

With TBN down to 1.7 on my previous run of 10k I thought TAN would be more valuable. The NAPA kit I used included TBN but I added a note requesting TAN instead and they did it for me.

Wow thanks for posting. I have a large stash of Trop Artic and I would have said these kind of OCI's were way too long for it. Still longer than I'd want to run it but I need to rethink my evaluation of it.

Thanks for posting this OP, we don't have near enough UOA's of everyday Joe kind of oils here IMO.

The owners manual calls for 10k OCI under normal conditions so this is a 40% extension. YMMV.
I think there are several reasons we don't see many everyday Joe oils being tested. For instance, those here who buy the cheaper oil don't want to turn around and spend money on a UOA. Also, those willing to chase deals and/or mess with MIR's can get synthetics for less than conventional. Right now I'm running Pennzoil Ultra purchased on clearance from WM for $21, subtract the $10 MIR from Pennzoil and I paid $11 for 5 qts. Back to UOA's, regarding Trop Artic, it may be an availability issue because this is not the easiest oil to find. But I agree with you, it is nice to know what the cheaper oils can do so we can make informed decisions about how much extra value comes from the higher dollar oils.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
The sodium and potassium levels show that there could be a little coolant getting into the oil.
Blackstone doesn't give oxidation numbers but it looks as though a little oxidative thickening may have begun.
Not sure what's up with the non-linear increase in copper.
Could be bearing wear, although lead is low, or could just be a lab error or a fluke.
I have to say that this looks really good, though.
Dave Newton should be proud of you.

I also wonder about the sodium and potassium, I will be keeping an out out for anything unusual.
Phillips 66 claims a viscosity of 8.4 cSt so there may be a little thickening but nothing to bad.
The copper *may* be explained by the oil filter situation but I would have expected iron to climb along with it.
I like to think Dave would be proud of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back