How little damage it takes to "total" a 1998 Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
This one's for folks who, like me, apparently have virtually no idea how many labor hours are billed for body work. Highlights:

• Approximate speed differential at impact (both vehicles in motion on black ice): 10 mph

• Vehicle fully drivable as before, minus the flat that appeared 3 days later

• No discernible engine bay component damage

• When asked for their estimated repair amount, a claims rep stated that they didn't even bother to tally it because they just instantly knew it was a total loss based on a brief look. Based on my calculations, this amount has to be at least $3000 because they totaled the car at $4000 (assuming 75% of value industry standard threshold for total loss).

IMG_8711_1.jpg

IMG_8712_1.jpg

IMG_8722_1.jpg

IMG_8729_1.jpg

IMG_8730_1.jpg

IMG_8731_1.jpg

The damage may appear minor because the vehicle has not been disassembled. Underneath the bumper cover, there is likely additional damage.

If the ins company had proceeded with the repair, once the shop starts, they could be stuck with paying for repairs that exceeded the value of the vehicle.

Just curious, can you keep the car once the insurance company has labeled it as totaled?

Put some silver duct tape on her and keep on trucking.
smile.gif

187k miles is a few on sixteen year old car, but it does seem like they could find away to get the car back to safe running condition but not completely cosmetically restored.

How is the hood underneath? The cross bracing stuff is usually glued with expanding foam type junk. When you "pop" this even if you bang it flat, the sheet metal of the hood will vibrate and be annoying in your lower peripheral vision.

OTOH this might just be the excuse you need to upgrade your headlights to non-cloudy status.
wink.gif

That looks something like the Civic that ran into the back of my E-150 at a stop sign. Actually the Civic was worse, the hood was destroyed too. It was about a 3 mph collision, and she had to be towed because the radiator dumped its contents out all over the street.

I can only speak of my geographical area....

There are plenty of body shop guys who would do that kinda fix on the cheap. Sub par parts and quickie paint job you'd be around 1k. Not that i've seen all the damage but guesstimate. I had to do a job like that on my 95 Camry. Aftermarket front bumper is $250 cost to shop. I know as I was there when he was looking up my part. Mine didn't have headlight damage. Side light, bumper, paint on bumper, paint on side wheel well. $550 buddy special.

I think you just need to find a grill, headlight and bumper at the wrecker. Maybe bend some metal back behind the headlight?
No need for perfection on a car like that. Looks like you rearended some one or got backed into in a parking lot?
I have a couple big dents in the Tracker from being stupid, and I just left them as a reminder not to be stupid again... Its a Tracker, no one cares what it looks like anyways.

Fix it with junkyard parts - looks like you can get away with a bumper, grill, and LF headlight assembly. Hood looks fine to me. 182K miles is worth fixing IMO - looks like a nice car.

I wonder what it would cost to buy back. I'd be tempted to do as few repairs as possible, as I bet I could get a few more years out of it. Only thing that would have me really concerned is what is behind the headlamp; and even that I bet can be dealt with on the cheap.

Thing is, it's several hours of labor, and if one buys new/really good condition parts to replace sheetmetal and plastic bits, it gets expensive. Fast. Thing is, it looks all cosmetic to me.

If they total it, and you buy it back (which is a great option as a driver), it's going to have a salvage title at that point.You almost have to make the commitment to drive it until it dies because it isnt worth book value even if you repaired it nice.

That car is trashed...looks like one of my daughters did it..
13.gif

They have a special knack for doing $5000 worth of damage at 10mph. I think it is a gender trait inherited from their Mother.

15.gif
Not to worry...Toyota will build more.

Last edited:
BTW, if you are going to fix a smashed one then find a 98 that has <100k and was hit in the back and is from a sunshine no salt state. Then have at it.

There are impact zones under the plastic bumpers. Basically they are accordions that absorb the impact. Once they are crushed all bets are off with any vehicle valued at 5000 or less.

I'd want to know that the crumple zones are ok, but it is such a shame that such damage is done at low speeds.

I think some of it is a good old boys network of cheap auto body shops who will buy these cars, fix them themselves and then sell them for major profit.

To a great extent, the car is worth what it costs to replace it. And that cost can be quite high...

Who is totaling it? Your insurance or another party's? If your insurance totals it and cuts you a check, will they raise your rates going forward to recoup what they paid out? If so, might not even be worth it, just pay for repair out of pocket. I wouldn't bet that the body shops charge higher rates when insurance is paying.

Less than $900 to repair it yourself. Bumper, grille, hood. That is aftermarket parts. Junkyard may be cheaper. https://www.hollanderparts.com/ or similar.

What is your deductible IF they did fix it? If $500 then i would say do the work yourself or get someone locally (moonlighting body man)..to fix it for cheap.

IF they total it, you still have to fix it if u are going to keep driving it.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
Just curious, can you keep the car once the insurance company has labeled it as totaled?

Put some silver duct tape on her and keep on trucking.
smile.gif

Yes, I had this exact thing happen 2 years ago. They total it, you write them a small check (to re-acquire it), then keep and repair it.

I had a 94 Geo Prizm that was rear-ended, and the damage was almost exactly what the 98 Camry looks like.

BTW, a few parts from a boneyard and some sheet metal bending, and I had a car that was completely capable of getting me from point a to point b.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back