can you cut embedded finish nails?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it ok to cut through a couple 16 gauge finish nails with a table saw? I already did with my miter saw and it didn't do anything. I forgot to take the nails out the first time. (brain [censored]) There are two nails left in the board that I can't pull out. They are only a little bit larger in diameter than staples so I was curious as it even matter since I didn't even feel anything when I cut them with the miter saw unintentionally. My question is does it damage the blade? The carbide teeth are much harder then the nails so I think an occasional nail this size is ok Right?

carbide is hard but brittle, there is the risk of chipping some of the teeth. Can you drive it out the other side a bit with a small nail set?

I guess i'll just cut another piece then. I just bought a brand new amana blade so I'm not going to chance it then.

You will damage the blade. Even if the damage is not readily seen, it will shorten the life of the blade. They do make blades that are designed to cut through nails in wood, (usually demolition blades - I believe one is called "The Torch"). Be sure and wear eye protection.

Use a pair of side cutters and pull the nails.
I buy blades for finish carpentry that cost in excess of 200 bucks. Cutting nails is not an option.
When doing demo we buy sawzall and circular saw blades made for cutting nails but after hitting a few the blade doesn't cut wood nearly as nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back