API CF Mobil

Status
Not open for further replies.
CF is the starting point for all of the "backwards compatible" diesel engine oils.

Majority of modern "S" oils will meet the requirements of CF standing in their head, and thus carry a CF rating.

Many diesel manufacturers throw a "CF" minimum spec on their diesels, then throw in an ACEA spec, and many don't want CI-4 or etc equivalent oils

And there are still some diesel engines on the roads, including some Cummins and the like in North America, that are served by that spec and that viscosity. There are a few 40 grades that aren't otherwise a "normal" HDEO that meet the specification and viscosity requirements for such engines.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
CF is the starting point for all of the "backwards compatible" diesel engine oils.

Majority of modern "S" oils will meet the requirements of CF standing in their head, and thus carry a CF rating.

Many diesel manufacturers throw a "CF" minimum spec on their diesels, then throw in an ACEA spec, and many don't want CI-4 or etc equivalent oils

I'm sorry maybe I'm missing the point, why wouldn't Mobil put on the bottle all the API tests it does pass?
For someone like me who looks and see it only has a obsolete rating it "could" put people off.

In the EU, seems like anything higher than CF (such as CI/CJ-4) seems to indicate medium & HD truck use only. Not sure why, it's not like that here in the USA.

Im assuming that the oils you mention are for passenger car diesels. I would imagine that most manufacturers of passenger car diesels either rely on the ACEA, or carry their own spec, such as VW 504/507 or MB 229.51. Until the cruze diesel came along, US manufacturers didnt have any PC diesels out there to necessitate specs. For the one out there now, there is Dexos 2.

Hi now understand over here the higher API specs are found on the commercial side.

Originally Posted By: galaxy333
I'm sorry maybe I'm missing the point, why wouldn't Mobil put on the bottle all the API tests it does pass?
For someone like me who looks and see it only has a obsolete rating it "could" put people off.

Some of the oils out there that would pass CF may not pass CJ-4. In North America, particularly, very few people who have an engine calling for CF or better would actually seek out something that topped out at CF. Most people running a diesel, even a rather old diesel, will simply use oil from the same product lines they were all along. That is, if they bought an old 5.9L 12v Cummins back when it was new and were using Rotella all along, they'll probably continue to use Rotella (or Delo or Delvac). They're not likely to notice the CF on M1 0w-40 and use it, or the CF on RP 10w-40. Some do, and I have recommended such things where cost effective and useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back