2001 Ford 4.0L SOHC V6...really that bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my heart set on a Ford Exploder. I don't know why. I just love everything about them.

I do like the 5.0L AWD models but I will be doing mostly commuting and ORV trails.

Is the 4.0L that bad? The internet seems like an echo chamber but I want some personal testimonials. I know the engine needs to be pulled for the rear cassette. But is that really that common?

I am looking at a 2001 4.0L with 129k miles. Spotless inside and the timing chain looks like a mirror.

If it helps or not,but I've got a 95' Explorer with the 4.0-liter OHV V-6 and the only issues,I've had are belt tensioner pulley and fuel pump replacement,otherwise it's been a good truck.

I bought mine mainly for a winter vehicle and it's never let me down.It had 150,000 miles when I bought it and now has 200,000 miles,it's never had the valve covers off.I'm looking to replace it hopefully this year with a Ford Edge though.
wink.gif

did it have the updated timing chain guides installed? are they rattling.

if you answered yes then no then you are fine.

mine would rattle at 3000rpm or so was super annoying, was warrantied.

I would give the engine a 8 out of 10

had some other issues such as the serp. belt tensioner liking to go bad. and the vicious fan clutch going belly up.

Also alternators usually last around 100000 miles.

4 of the spark plugs are easy one is a pain.. one is... well you need to watch the youtube video or you wont get it done.. unless you have done it previously
smile.gif

That should have the 5r55E it was a reliable transmission as anything out there really.

Really it depends on its current condition and how well it was maintained more than anything.

Edit just saw the post before mine.

A 2001 would be the SOHC not the OHV 4.0L

Despite what people say the sohc was better in every way, except the timing chain guide issue that was resolved with an updated part.

Last edited:
Wife bought a new 2002 Explorer with the 4.0 SOHC engine. It was very well maintained, but by 37,000 miles developed the dreaded failed timing chain cassette noise. I had Terry Dyson do an UOA on the oil and the iron level was sky high from the bouncing/rubbing timing chain from the bad timing chain cassettes. ~1,000 miles out of warranty Ford refused to warranty the problem. The cost to repair was over $3,000. She traded it in for a new 2005 Explorer with the 4.6 V8. The 2005 now has 150,000+ miles and runs and looks great. The 4.6 only uses approximately 1 mpg more than the 4.0 V6. Google the failed timing chain cassette noise and see it this truck exhibits it.

Whimsey

If it has had the timing chain guide update done, it may very well be a very reliable vehicle. The SOHC is a pretty good engine aside from this issue. I have seen them with well over 300K miles. By now I'd be expecting it to make noise if it hasn't been done.

But I wouldn't pass up a 5.0. MPG won't be much worse than one of the V6s with 4WD, and that was probably the best mass production version of the 5.0 that Ford ever made with its GT40 heads.

I would not recommend any 4.0 SOHC V6 Ford.

Have owned a '97 Ex since new. Experienced critical failure of timing components twice. The "upgraded" components are only marginally better than the originals. Inexcusably stupid design. Idiot engineers.

If you're buying it understanding that it's a throwaway when something in the timing system breaks, "go for it".

Ford did enough right in the first and second gen Explorers to make people passionate about keeping them on the road.

Good luck!

I owned a 97 explorer with the 4.0 sohc. It was in our family to out over 180,000 miles when the 5r55 transmission started failing. The front timing chain setup was repaired on Fords dime due to the rattling, the rear was never touched. Other than that, it was one of the best vehicle owned, and never had any other major repairs. It was our first choice for road trips.

If it doesn't rattle, and the other maintenance points to it being treated well, I'd buy another one. We replaced ours when the tranny started failing due to rust issues. It was replaced with an 07 explorer with the V8.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
the 4.0 is trouble the 4.6 runs forever... we have at least 1 ford 4.0 in the shop every week because we only do engines

As I said previously the the 4.6 in the Explorer is so much better in performance and reliability. The slight loss of one mpg is well worth it. My wife before the 2002 Explorer with the 4.0 SOHC had a bought new 1996 Explorer Sport with the older 4.0 OHV engine. This engine was not big on power but it was super reliable. So far her 2005 4.6 Explorer has been super reliable for 150,000++ miles with normal maintenance. The only extra maintenance has been totally changing the tranny fluid every 25,000-30,000. If you're going to keep the vehicle for the long run it's worth it to maintain expensive wear items.

Whimsey

I have a 4.0 SOHC in my Ranger. Mine is a 2006 so it had the upgraded parts from the factory. I have 51k miles so far and no problems. I'm confident I can get well over 200k with no problems too. I like this engine a lot. It has lots of power. The gas mileage kind of sucks though.

I had a neighbor with a Ford Ranger that was in great condition. The body had no rust, The interior had little wear, and the front end was rebuilt recently. Unfortunately, when the head gasket blew, the price of that job was so huge, that selling it to a mechanic was the best course of action for her.

So I fear the Ford 4.0 for this reason. It would be unlikely to be that expensive if the OHV engine was in use. Maybe it would still be worthwhile if the engine didn't have to be removed from the transmission to do the job.

I would look for a V8 (either 5.0 in 2nd Gen, or 4.6 in 3rd gen). The mileage is just as good, or better than the 4.0s, and they are much more solid.

Well dang. There is an exploder that is literally perfect except for the 4.0L.

Why aren't there more complaints about the motor when it's placed in a ranger and not an explorer.

2001 is a little old (read: unrevised; has well known bugs) and apart from them it's an okay engine. It's an ANCIENT engine architecture that began it's life as a V4 used in the Taunus, so the bottom end is reasonably durable but the engine IMO was much better off remaining OHV.

It's also a European engine and was one of the few Ford engines NOT backspecced to 20grade and I suspect the timing chain/guide issues were due yet to a still inadequate viscosity grade (North American "EC" 30s with lower HTHS). There's nothing like taking an old engine architecture with an already questionable oiling system specced for heavy "Euro" grades and slapping on 3 long chains, 5? cam gears, one more cam and moving them 'way out to the head' and a jackshaft that all require adequate lubrication.

If you wanna get it, get it. Just know what you might have to deal with yknow, but also know that it was a very popular engine that many people/fleet owners left neglected, so there is a correction factor to work in, too.

I don't think it is all that bad. Explorers are great vehicles, and if it runs nice and seems taken care of I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

My buddy had a 2001 Ranger Edge 4.0L 4x4 and he sold it with 200k on it and no problems. It was going to need ball joints soon, but other than brakes, tires, and an alternator it ran perfect. I did all the maintenance for him and the engine ran nice and quiet and burned no oil at 200k miles. We used Valvoline SynPower 5w30 and a Motorcraft filter almost every change.

My boss has a 2002 Explorer XLT with the 4.0 and 178k miles on it. He drives it every day, and besides some suspension components (he lives on a dirt road) it has needed very little.

I personally drive a 2001 Explorer Sport-Trac 4.0 at work. It only has around 40k miles on it, but it runs great and drives very smoothly.

I'm sure some of them have issues, but certainly not all of them. Problems seem to get blown out of proportion on the internet.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
Well dang. There is an exploder that is literally perfect except for the 4.0L.

Why aren't there more complaints about the motor when it's placed in a ranger and not an explorer.

I have a couple ideas on why this may be the case...

1. The Explorer has always been produced in much greater numbers than the Ranger, and the bulk of Explorers built between 1997 and 2010 had the SOHC 4.0. Rangers were produced in fewer numbers, and the bulk of Rangers were either I4 or 3.0L V6 models.

2. Explorers are more likely to be treated as disposable by their owners, and suffer from poor maintenance. People will keep even a very beat up Ranger running.

I work in auto parts and worked in the repair field, so I see what people buy and put into these vehicles. Rangers are more likely to be maintained, and are more likely to be fixed using higher grade parts.

For example, someone might buy an Explorer because "I HAVE to have an SUV no matter how broke I am." They get an already beat and neglected Explorer, continue running it into the ground, then something major breaks and "OMG, Ford sucks!!!" Never mind the fact it got conventional oil changes every 10K miles if it was lucky, was running on decade old original coolant topped off with Dexclone, and the gas pedal was used like an on/off switch. I saw Explorers like this all the time when I worked in a shop. It wasn't unusual for the t-stat housing to be hemorrhaging coolant, the sway bar links and/or ball joints to be totally shot, CEL on, etc. and the owner just didn't care as long as it kept moving under its own power. "All it needs is an oil change."

Even though a lot of Rangers get run hard in fleets, get worked hard and put up wet, and are more likely to be towing or hauling, they generally get better care. Last week I got an order for some premium grade pads and rotors for a 1990 Ranger. I was excited to see the truck because I figured it must be a nice one for them to be buying nice brake parts for it. When I get to the shop to drop off the parts, I find a smashed up, beat to heck Ranger that looked like something from Pull-A-Part. This truck had already been to [censored] and back a few times, and they were still willing to drop some relatively major money on brakes for it. They could have gotten economy grade parts at less than half the cost, but the intention was for this to be a long term brake job.

One of the contracted couriers for my company, who use their personal vehicles to run parts, has an early 1990s square body Ranger. This truck probably does hundreds of miles in a single work day. Obviously, it has been kept up. The oldest vehicles in the company owned fleet are all Rangers too.

I see more 20+ year old Rangers than I can keep track of daily. Even though Explorers from the same period are mechanically the same, I don't see as many as I do Rangers. People just keep the Rangers going and take better care of them mechanically, even if they look like [censored] cosmetically.

I would not pass up a nice Explorer just because it has the SOHC. Some people do keep them up and take care of them, and I have seen them with major miles on them. For whatever reason, most of the really high mileage SOHCs I have seen are in first gen Sport Tracs. I have seen three within the last 6 months with over 350K miles on them.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Problems seem to get blown out of proportion on the internet.

I wish I could give you a cookie!

I love cookies.
thumbsup2.gif

Fact of the matter is there are more people complaining about problems then there are people reporting how good their vehicle is.

And the people who have problems always tend to be a lot more vocal than the ones who don't.

That being said, I think the point of all the posts is that if you know what to look and listen for, there are good deals to be had. With the 4.0 SOHC, dare I say it, my '97 Explorer was fun to drive. Yes, it needed to have the front tensioners repaired, and that was done on Ford's dime. After that, the engine ran strong right up to when the transmission failed. I also had no problem selling it as a mechanic special to swap in a new transmission. If the front tensioner work has been done, and it doesn't rattle now, and been maintained well, there are decent buys to be made.

The 2002+ explorers with the 4.0 SOHC have been reliable performers in our work fleet. None of them has has issues with the engine. Eating wheel bearings is another story...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back