Hyundai Synthetic automatic transmission Fluid ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, my 2005 hyundai Elantra and 2007 hyundai Tucson call for Dexron trans Fluid. Can I use Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF Dexron/Mercon Automatic Transmission Fluid (1 Quart) in these cars.
Synthetic VS regular Valvoline MAX LIFE Dexron ????

Thanks
jake

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: jake9364
Hi, my 2005 hyundai Elantra and 2007 hyundai Tucson call for Dexron trans Fluid. Can I use Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF Dexron/Mercon Automatic Transmission Fluid (1 Quart) in these cars.

Thanks
jake

Your Tucson does NOT call for Dexron! It calls for SP-III, which is not a Dexron clone. It is closer to ATF+3/4, but does have a unique friction modifier. That being said, any universal or import ATF that says it meets SP-III or Diamond SP-III will work. Castrol Transmax Import Multivehicle ATF is good. The Gulfpride Universal ATF that is in my Trailblazer's 4L60 is approved for SP-III. Maxlife is good. Mobil 1 ATF will work.

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
I'd double check that, most all Hyundais spec SP lll for tranny fluid, not dextron.

All Hyundai 6 speed automatics call for SP-IV M. Some older Azera's call for a fluid that is identical to Toyota IV/Mobil 3309.

Originally Posted By: salv
I'd double check that, most all Hyundais spec SP lll for tranny fluid, not dextron.

All Hyundai 6 speed automatics call for SP-IV M. Some older Azera's call for a fluid that is identical to Toyota IV/Mobil 3309.

The 2005 is not a six speed iirc

Most OLDER Hyundai call for SPIII, most newer ones call for SPIV. Check owners manual or dealer.

Maxlife is good stuff, and so is the Castrol ATF on sale at AAP this month. Castrol Import multi-ATF should work in SPIII/IV applications, but check the bottle to make sure.

I also like Mag 1 synthetic low-vis ATF

Originally Posted By: jake9364

The specified OEM ATF is SP-III, which is specified for Hyundai, Kia, and Mitsubishi vehicles, not Dexron. A lot of folks got paranoid about using other ATFs after Hyundai made a practice of denying warranty claims for transmissions using non-SP-III fluids.

In an elemental analysis SP-III looks much like Mercon V. Its visometrics look similar to ATF+4.

I have used Mobil 1, ATF+4, and Mercon V in these transmission with no problems.

Hyundai is now using SP4-M ATF in their transmissions and recommending it as backward compatible. This has visometrics close to Dexron VI which is "thinner" than SP-III.

If you want to go that way, Valvoline MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF meets the Dexron VI requirements.

You might also consider, given that the most expensive ATF is cheap next to replacing or repairing a transmission, the Red Line products.

Red Line D4 replaces SP-III and D6 replaces SP4-M. The advantage of the Red Line is a superior base stock which provides exceptional performance at the temperature extremes.

I've also used D4 in these transmissions with no problem at all.

I'd just stick with genuine Hyundai SPIII. Those cars don't having the strongest transmissions and are finicky about what you put in them.

Originally Posted By: wog
Some hyundai have aisin 5 speed,this takes Mobil 3309 . Cannot use Mobil 1,or any other syn fluids

I've used Mobil 1 ATF in lieu of 3309 in Aisins without any issues.

They track pretty closely on visometrics.

I have been lead to believe the aisin s don t like synthetic because it affects the down shifts. Maybe too slippery ,I am trying to remember where I read this but it was along the lines of friction needed for clutches going into downshift. .i have a Vera Cruz and the trans went south at around 50k the dealer replaced (warranty)'never saw anything but dealer fluid.i thought syn would be an improvement. My mechanic won t touch the trans says let dealer handle because required fluid i ie warranty .my trans is a sealed unit,have to access from bottom I believe,pump fluid in. Hope m1 works well,I think ATF-4 might be compatible with most sp3 /4 fluid,have seen others post with good results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back