Pass-through ratchet and socket set

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm finding more situations where I find myself reaching for my pass-through ratchet and socket set. Being able to turn the nut while the bolt passes through comes in handy when a shallow socket won't fit, there isn't enough clearance for a deep-well socket on a ratchet, and a wrench would take forever. The flex-head pass-through ratchets that replaced my flaky fixed-head ratchets make the set even more convenient.

I thought the pass-through set was a bit of a gimmick. It's turned out to be a useful specialty tool that really do make certain jobs go much faster.

I sure as heck could have used a 10mm one this weekend while changing a water pump on my old Chrysler. Took forever with a wrench but I got it done.

I bought a set at Costco after replacing the sway bar end links on the Rainier. Still in the package unopened. Would have come in handy. No other repairs to use them yet.

This is one set that uses universal sockets. I read it is made by Gearwrench so i bought it for use on square nuts.
While i am generally not a fan of universal sockets these do a surprisingly good job on SAE, Metric, square, spline, Torx and a few others, so far it has held up well no complaints.

Pass through set.

Edit: These are not a replacement for a good socket set but for special situations like where a deep socket just isn't deep enough or you don't own a special type socket.
The universal design is acceptable because you don't need multiple sets.
Quality is good enough, going real high end IMHO is probably over the top on something like this.

Last edited:
I got the smaller Gearwrench set. Sears was clearing them while ago for $30. The ratchet seems to be made better for the Gear-wrench brand.

Good price! I got the Kobalt for $20 i think on sale, for what you use these for either one is fine if you can get them at the right price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back