Chemtool B12 for DI Carbon deposited Intake Valves

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the MINI Cooper world, they use SeaFoam on the regular to try and "wash" the top of the intake valves as this direct injection engine does have the intake valves "washed" with fuel.

Folks take off one of the PCV valve hoses from the valve cover and with the car running then squirt the Seafoam into the intake manifold to try and "wash" off the intake valves. I've seen picture proof from an owner doing this every tank of gas (yeah I know seem excessive, but walnut blasting my intake valves is not fun) at keeping a cleaned intake valve relatively free.

Looking at pricing, Berryman 0116 B-12 Chemtool Carburetor/Fuel Treatment and Injector Cleaner is ~much~ cheaper than Seafoam in the spray applicator bottle.

Any thoughts of the B-12 would be too harsh with regular application? Maybe not so bad because it's getting burned up and out the exhaust immediately?

Thanks for any advice.

The valves are not washed with fuel, that's the kicker. I need a spray solvent of sorts that is safe to spray into the intake manifold. I've heard of PEA, but I'm not sure of their benefit and how they react in the combustion chamber....also not sure if any of the brands you mentioned come in spray form? (some folks were pouring tons of Seafoam into their intake track and well...you can imagine what happened next. :p)

Hrmm, even cheaper would be good old generic Carb Cleaner. Safe for the combustion chamber and cheapest of all? I'm wondering if the strength of the solvent is not the issue here, it's the regularity of how often you apply (since in non-DI engines, they are constantly being "washed" by gasoline)

Argh, typo. The N14 engine of the 2007+ MINI Cooper S is a Direct Injection turbo motor WITHOUT fuel washing over the intake valves. Thx.

Chemtool is stong stuff. It will disolve a "red solo cup" in about 5 seconds. Ask me how I know...

I would stick with Seafoam, and buy it in the spray. That way you don't need to suck it out of a up, just spray it in with the tiny straw that is provided.

Very nice. Would be interesting if he did another video with the step 2 first then the Seafoam and see what results he got.

If you have a look at the video, this is performed while the car is running.

I would give him more credit if he had run the 2nd can of the "winner" to see if he gets still more smoke. I bet he would have. The smoke show is from the chemicals which are present in the cleaner itself.

What "second can"?

If you're referring to the three step B12 Chemtool set, one can is throttle body spray. The second is what he ran, the winner. The third goes into the gas tank.

I meant if he were to run the same test again. I am betting that every time he runs it, he will get the smoke show. The white smoke is NOT from burning the carbon deposit but rather from the ingredients in the cleaner itself. Does carbon burning result in white smoke?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
I meant if he were to run the same test again. I am betting that every time he runs it, he will get the smoke show. The white smoke is NOT from burning the carbon deposit but rather from the ingredients in the cleaner itself. Does carbon burning result in white smoke?

I've seafoamed countless engines and I can state without an doubt whatsoever that if a person ran back to back seafoam treatments in a high mike engine that actually has deposits to clean,the second treatment does not smoke as much.
I've done back to back treatments countless times so I am speaking from experience.
Most people don't do it right to begin with. The engine needs to be hot prior to sucking up the seafoam,and the key is to stall the engine.
Leave sit for 20 minutes then take it out for a high revving run to suck everything through.
Then repeat.
I've done seafoam treatments on newer vehicles,my charger for example. When I seafoamed it there wasn't anywhere near as much exhaust clouds as there was when I did my 88 fox.
The charger only had 50000 miles so I doubt there was much to clean. Then I hooked up the inverse oiler so I'm guaranteed clean now
So in my experience the smokeshow is less intense the second time around.

Can you distinguish the color of the smoke for 1st application on a high mileage engine versus the 2nd one? Not just the quantity but rather the color of it. If that is the case, then I agree with you.

i know that BMW tried injecting chemical cleaner into intake to clean valves but .....Most of the time valves have so much hard deposit that walnut blasting is the only way to clean intake ports.BTW. all DI engines have this problem -> RR, Mini, Audi, etc. I have seen intake ports on Opel that saw only city traffic and they were clean but this was in Germany and not USA. Is USA fuel garbage? I don't know.

Agreed that at a certain point walnut blasting is the only answer, the goal is to put something mild down the intake manifold on the regular (every fillup) to simulate the washing that regular fuel on a non-DI does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back