Random transmission lockup Craftsman 28"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is a Murray/MTD under Craftsman name. For the last couple of storms, the wheels get locked up randomly. I then toggle between R1/F1 etc and eventually it starts working again. Do these have real transmission or just a metal disc and rubber wheel? If so, what would cause the whole thing to lock up? It also has the handle bar levers for quick turning.

There is also a chain as part of the drive system. It is possible the chain is jumping the sprocket causing it to lock up and when you go between f & r the chain jumps back onto the sprocket. When it locks up, tip it up, remove the bottom plate for the drive train and see if the chain has jumped the sprocket. A loose chain will cause this. How old is it?

This is about 5 years old. I am not sure if there is a chain on this unit. Is there an adjustment for the chain if there is one?

Generally these units have an axle with a rubber friction wheel and a sprocket that transfers motion to the wheel axle via a chain. Have never seen an adjustment for this. You can check the side to side movement of the axle. There should be almost no side to side movement. If there is to much movement the chain can get stuck on the sprocket. Usually there is a washer with teeth on it and a flat washer on each side of the axle between the wheel and frame. Next time it locks up, leave it and take the bottom plate off and see what is causing it.

Last edited:
if snow is blowing in the air, it may very well be that there is water or moisture on the disc and not enough pressure causing the disc to slip. that may cause an intermittent drive/no drive. You may try to adjust the drive wheel pressure a bit and check that the drive disc is i good working condition.

I looked at the owner's manual. It has friction disk. I see no chain in the picture. The thing is when the wheels stop spinning, they lock up i.e. I can't manually move the snow thrower either. So it is not slipping at that time. Can something get frozen there?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I looked at the owner's manual. It has friction disk. I see no chain in the picture. The thing is when the wheels stop spinning, they lock up i.e. I can't manually move the snow thrower either. So it is not slipping at that time. Can something get frozen there?

It sounds like something is getting stuck internally. Either the chain is catching on something or a linkage is seizing up. I've never seen drive parts freeze on a snow blower while its operating. I've seen them slip from water getting in, but never just randomly freeze during use.

I'd pop the bottom cover off and have a look. You might see something obviously wrong. I popped the cover off my Toro 826 and found the drive was full of mouse nests. The nest material was bound up so tightly in the gears I'm surprised everything still moved.

If everything looks ok, pop off the drive belt and spin the pulley by hand (with the engine off) with the drive engaged. You will start to feel it bind up and see what is causing it.

Since this is random, I am somewhat reluctant to open it up while it is working fine. If it has a chain, then that explanation makes the most sense. I will dig deeper in the manual to see if it does have the chain.

What is the model of the blower? If you go to the sears website, access parts direct, you can enter the model # and it will give a complete breakdown of the blower. When it locks up again, leave it and take the bottom plate off to see what the cause is. Sure sounds like the chain to me.

Last edited:
Model# 247.887900

The friction wheel is part of the drive shaft assembly which has two gears on either side which meshes with the gears on drive wheel axle. I suppose chunk of frozen ice could jam the gears.

Looking up your model # on the sears site, it shows there are two chains. Did you take the cover off and look?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Since this is random, I am somewhat reluctant to open it up while it is working fine. If it has a chain, then that explanation makes the most sense. I will dig deeper in the manual to see if it does have the chain.

Popping the cover to have a look won't hurt anything. The cover is usually 4 bolts. You might be able to spot a problem before it gets worse and the machine quits moving altogether.

Owners manual rarely have a complete breakdown of the unit. Taking off the cover is pretty easy, 4 bolts. This will allow you to see what is actually there. Try the sears site, it will show a complete breakdown of the unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back