Red Wine and White Wine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends. Dry, sweet, fruity, big & bold, light?

Start with the inexpensive Austrailian wines like Lindemans, Yellow Tail, Penfolds,and others and keep notes on each. You can also check out Consumer Reports best wine buys and see if you agree. If you don't agree, that's good to know as well as if you do. It's all about discovering your own taste.

One experiment to try with reds in particular is to aerate them before drinking. It can really help to smooth them out by exposing them to oxygen. You don't need fancy equipment to do this either.

I use an empty large plastic juice jug with a tight fitting cap. Pour off some of the wine straight from the bottle into a glass as a "before" sample. Dump the rest into the jug, cap and shake vigorously for 30sec. Remove the cap, and take a deep breath into the jug. Note what you smell. Then pour some of that into another glass, the "after" sample and compare the two. Which do you prefer? What taste differences do you notice? Does it make a difference? Dump the "before" into the jug and swirl. Fill your "after" glass and using a funnel, pour the wine back into the bottle.

This can also mellow out some harsh-tasting white wines as well.

I enjoy wines but don't spend much on them. It's rare I spend more than $15/bottle. Closer to $10 is more like it. Here's a few I'd suggest trying:

Pinot Grigio: Kris about $12/bottle.
Zinfandel: Bogle Old Vine about $9.
Red Blend: Peirano "The Other" about $12. Also Bogle's "Essential Red" about $9.
Chardonnay: Toasted Head, about $9.

I'm currently exploring Spanish tempranillos which I don't know much about, but really like so far. I tend to like big, bold reds that go well with grilled & spicy food.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I like Chardonnay but my wife prefers a Riesling, so we compromise and usually drink Riesling.

That's not a compromise, more like a forfeit, although I do the same (I dislike Rieslings).

All in the name of nookie.
thumbsup2.gif

A little consideration for one's apouse pays huge dividends.
Amyway, Riesling is okay even if not my first choice in a white.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
I'm currently exploring Spanish tempranillos which I don't know much about, but really like so far. I tend to like big, bold reds that go well with grilled & spicy food.

Look for the Rioja stamp - predominantly tempranillo and much better than tempranillos from La Mancha. See if you can find a Rioja called Cerro Anon - one of the best. Had a 2004 Cerro Anon Gran Reserva last week and it was outstanding, but the regular Reservas and Crianzas are beautiful as well.

Tom NJ

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
Originally Posted By: sleddriver

Look for the Rioja stamp - predominantly tempranillo and much better than tempranillos from La Mancha. See if you can find a Rioja called Cerro Anon - one of the best. Had a 2004 Cerro Anon Gran Reserva last week and it was outstanding, but the regular Reservas and Crianzas are beautiful as well.

Tom NJ

Thanks! If I recall correctly, Reservas & Gran Reservas have to spend a certain amount of time on oak, then in the bottle before they're released...by Spanish law. I found that interesting. I have tried a Rioja Reserva and it was great, but can't remember the name off the top of my head.

Originally Posted By: lancerplayer
What's the recommended bottle of red and bottle of white for a 24 year old to keep handy in his first place?

I'm looking for something that is well rounded meaning it will do well when having a glass to relax and unwind and also to serve with a nice home cooked meal? It also has to be easily available at local stores.

Of course, as a recent college grad, I'm on a budget.

I'm just starting to get more into wine and want to start off with something right. I'm hoping that the wine veterans can help out a rookie.

What is your suggested bottle of red and bottle of white without breaking the bank

You need to decide what it's for. By that I mean just a social drink or to accompany food? If it's the latter decide what food you would be most likely to serve and then choose a couple of wines that would suit them. For the former a riesling is usually a good choice because most people like it.

Marques de Riscal is a consistently good Rioja, and widely available. It was one of the first Riojas to be distributed in the US. Lists for about $20 but can be found on sale for $16.

Tom NJ

Been looking for these Rioja wines you guys have recommended, but so far haven't seen them at any of the local grocery stores. I guess I'll have to take a trip to Binny's one of these days.

But, that didn't stop me from grabbing a bottle of Malbec while out shopping today...

DSC_5332.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back