Non-Stick Coating for Snow Shovel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't sure where to post this, but here goes...

So I'm new to the midwest and this is my first winter in a house - so the past few months have been my first real experience shoveling snow. As was shoveling snow yesterday evening, the snow kept sticking to the shovel, so I'd have to stop every 3rd shovel-full or so and knock the sticking snow out. So I got the idea to try to apply some kind of non-stick coating to the inside of the blade.

I had a can of PB Blaster handy, so I cleaned off the shovel and applied a coating to the inside, then started shoveling again. For the next hour, I had NO problems with sticking snow, the shovel was clean after every toss. In addition, it seemed to make the job easier by allowing the shovel travel across the driveway a bit easier and reduced the amount of force necessary to push the shovel into the snow.

I would have tried silicone spray, cooking spray, or WD-40, but I used what I had nearby and it worked well. Anyone else try something like this?

Originally Posted By: danthaman1980
Anyone else try something like this?

51o1z60tROL._SL1500_.jpg

I normally use whatever car wax I happen to have around (mostly NuFinish). Having said that, I can't say how good that works and for some reason that hasn't been an issue this winter yet.

Originally Posted By: Rand
you just need an improved technique ;p

I am working on my techniquie - currently focusing on 'less back, more arms', but I learn something new after every snowfall.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
51o1z60tROL._SL1500_.jpg

Thanks! - I've never seen that before, but I'll be on the lookout.

You can usually find that stuff at the smaller hardware stores locally, its hit and miss and the bigger box stores.

If it's a plastic shovel, be careful with what you spray on there. You don't want to melt the plastic or release some crazy fumes.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-St...74232/204216476

This stuff was developed by a group at MIT (I think, I know it was a group of "younger" students doing some kind of capstone project)

It's a 2 part spray that is absolutely mind boggling to see work in person. Makes teflon looks like paper towels in terms of hydrophobicity.

It's a little pricey, but one kit should coat a snow shovel a few good times. Give it a shot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back