I need an adware remover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

Also get a real antivirus program. The free ones help with antivirus, but not adware, spyware and malware.

Arm your computer properly and this problem will cease.

You keep saying this non sense; the free antivirus products have THE EXACT SAME ANTIVIRUS/ANTIMALWARE/ANTISPYWARE/ANTIADWARE engines as the paid versions. They usually don't include the firewalls anbd some of the other premium features, of which, there are free solutions that surpass the paid products.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
the free antivirus products have THE EXACT SAME ANTIVIRUS/ANTIMALWARE/ANTISPYWARE/ANTIADWARE engines as the paid versions. They usually don't include the firewalls anbd some of the other premium features, of which, there are free solutions that surpass the paid products.

Yup. At least that's the case with AVG Free that I'm using on some of my PCs...

http://free.avg.com/us-en/free-downloads#compare

Originally Posted By: daman
And usually no auto update,scans or real time protection,but on demand scans yes picks up the same nasties.

Actually, the free antivirus products widely used, Avast, AVG, Avira, Panda, etc. all have real time protection, to include web filtering. In fact, I don't know of any free antivirus product that does not include those features. They all also include scheduled scanning, auto updates etc.

A followup,
I had drive by infections in firefox on 2 systems. Malwarebytes cured both. The desktop was running Avast and the laptop was running AVG. Neither caught the adwhare. Both systems have Opera, which is my default browser. Neither was infected.

Wayne

How do you know it was a driveby? The only place you can get drivebys on up to date browsers is through vulnerabilities in plugins, usually served up through ad networks with Java and Flash. Those are incredibly rare. You'd have to go to the darkest corners of the internet to find a web page serving up exploits designed to attack a web browser. It's not like several years back when that kind of stuff was incredibly prevalent; browsers are coded to stop that stuff.

Yet another reason to run https://www.malwarebytes.org/antiexploit/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: daman
And usually no auto update,scans or real time protection,but on demand scans yes picks up the same nasties.

Actually, the free antivirus products widely used, Avast, AVG, Avira, Panda, etc. all have real time protection, to include web filtering. In fact, I don't know of any free antivirus product that does not include those features. They all also include scheduled scanning, auto updates etc.

I should have clarified, I was talking about malware/spyware stand alone programs, etc, yes most free AV does have auto features.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back