Refinancing car loan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

You do realize that not everyone can afford to pay cash for a vehicle right?

That's the type of thinking that gets people into perpetual debt.

Anyone who can afford payments can afford to pay cash. All you need to do is practice some self-discipline and save up the money first. Take the money you're blowing on payments and put it into a safe investment. Continue making that payment to yourself every month, and in 3-4 years you'll have enough to buy that new car.

Then, if you're really smart you'll pay cash for an inexpensive used vehicle, and continue saving.

And while you're saving it up you'll be collecting some interest as well, so instead of paying interest you'll be collecting it. And unlike the original poster who was excited over saving a few dollars in interest, you'll be able to get very excited about both the interest you've saved and the interest you've earned.

Save the lecture for the financial forum. Your post only applies to people who are in an upper income bracket. The average person can not save enough money to buy a new car with cash like that. Also, what about the person who needs a car then not 4-6 years down the road?

For anyone who has the financial resources to actually pay cash for a vehicle that is great and all the power to them. I do not, especially now since I got sick. I need a dependable vehicle that I know what it will cost me each month in my budget. Used cars that break down and cost an arm and a leg to fix do not interest me. A known monthly payment and then a warranty that covers any breakdowns is what I choose to have.

I am not irresponsible financially. Some of you on this site are just out of touch with average people and what they can afford. And just because someone carries a note on something it doesn't mean they don't know what they are doing or are going to wind up broke and bankrupt.

I have a safety net in the bank, my bills are always paid on time or even early, and I have money each month to live on. I am not taking a trip around the world but if I want to do something reasonable I can. Paying cash for a vehicle is not possible for me.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

Contrary to popular BITOG belief not everyone who *gasp* finances a vehicle purchase is financially busted and should be in an old beater.

THANK YOU!!!!!

01.gif

To the OP;

Sorry this thread took off as it did( including me taking the bait and getting into it with some ). Unfortunately it happens every single time someone talks about a car loan here. A certain few think they are superior to everyone and must preach to them about the evils of loans and how stupid and irresponsible you are if you have one.

As I said earlier you did good. Smart move and don't let anyone get you down with their condescending remarks.

I certainly didn't intend to get a flame war started, or impress anyone with my financial acumen (which generally is about the size of the mustard seed that serves me as a conscience). It's because I've absorbed such advice from many posters here that I considered the refinancing in the first place.

So to all of you: Thanks.

A lot of it depends solely on your credit score. Even the insurance companies look at them anymore.

A person can have a high credit score, and not have a huge income. It just requires that you make the best decision(s) possible with whatever money it is that you make.

And the higher your credit score, the lower the interest rates that you will be quoted.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
A lot of it depends solely on your credit score.

A person can have a high credit score, and not have a huge income. It just requires that you make the best decision(s) possible with whatever money it is that you make.

And the higher your credit score, the lower the interest rates that you will be quoted.

Yup! I don't make a lot anymore but my CS is very high because I stay within my budget and pay my bills on time. Got 1.44% financing on the new Jeep.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

You do realize that not everyone can afford to pay cash for a vehicle right?

Absolutely, but you do realize that nobody "deserves" anything, and what they can afford is what they can afford - maybe not new. And "affording" doesnt necessarily mean what monthly payment one can handle and have $0 (or negative) savings at the end of the month. Lots of broke people out there, broke off of bad decisions... With uptrimmed cars with fancy nameplates and nothing to show for it at the end.

There's nothing wrong with trying to prevent people from making poor decisions. Not sure why people have to bring up these same kind of arguments each time. Im free to my opinions and strategy, as are you.

But your question in reality is OT from the OP, who made the right move.

I took it OT? Ha that's rich Mr. Moderator. YOU sir took it off topic with your condescending comments about the OP having debt and not being able to afford the car because he took a loan on it. You are talking out of both sides of your mouth. 1st he can't afford it because he didn't pay cash then he did the right thing. Just crazy.

Yes, you have a right to your opinion( so do I sir )but it is the way you put it( like some others do who preach about no debt here ). The reality is most people can not afford to pay cash for a new vehicle these days. They cost too much.

I am very responsible financially. I have a savings account( small but a few grand - was more before I got sick and can't work regular anymore )and my bills are paid on time or early every month leaving me plenty of money for food, entertainment, and to put some away if I need to. I do not need you telling me/others that I/we am irresponsible or can't afford a vehicle because I have to make payments on it.

You may be a Mod and me standing up to you may have consequences but you are out of line Sir. You went beyond opinion here and got insulting!

EDIT and for the record I just bought a brand new vehicle last week. What I wanted for trim and options and what I could afford were two different things. I settled on a lesser trim level and left off some options on the vehicle to keep the payment down to my predetermined budget. So people who need car loans can be responsible too.

I look at it a bit differently, for me what is important is the total cost of ownership for the vehicle. Finance charges are but one consideration. With the low interest rate environment these days people like the OP are better off trading up when possible. A transmission replacement or major repair on a 10 year old vehicle nearing the end of its service life can easily exceed the cost of the interest on a reasonable car note.

My sister is in a similar place to you, she doesn't make much so the payments or lease on a low end vehicle are easy for her to budget for. VS paying cash on some POS for $5k that she will have to bring to a shop to get fixed. Driving older vehicles only really pays dividends when you are mechanically inclined enough to fix them yourself and have the garage and tools to do so. A young women living in an apartment doesn't have the ability to do that, most shops enjoy screwing them, and are incompetent, and your not leaving for under $500. Paying $200 a month on a Versa with a full boat warranty is a much better option.

Right now the largest lifetime costs to owning a vehicle are depreciation, fuel, maintenance, and insurance in that order. Interest if paid is dead last. However when rates go to double digits my advice will change...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back