Oil for new Exmark with Kawasaki engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just picked up an Exmark for cutting grass at the house. Will cut about 6 acres a week. Our model comes equipped with the Kawasaki FX801V engine.

It's brand new, going to run the factory oil for 5 hours (currently at .5 hours).
Looking for a recommendation for oil for it to last. Here in SC gets pretty warm in summer.

In the manual it shows for 68f to 104f to use sae40 oil. It also says NOTE
Using multi grade oils (5W-20, 10W-30, and 10W -40) will increase oil consumption. Check oil level more frequently when using them.

So I'm a little at a loss if I should use multi grade oil.

Looking for suggestions. Want to be ready for grass cutting season.

Thanks

I'd probably use 15w40 HDEO. thats not much of a multigrade.

with current basestocks little VII is used.

Your answers will be all over the place. It's not easy to get a modern multi-viscosity oil to break down. Since you are not using the machine for professional use, my money says you will never see any consumption issues with any quality oil. I really like Amsoil for OPE but any of the HDEO are excellent too. There's nothing wrong with sticking with the factory oil either.

I have been using Rotella T 10w30 (I'm way farther north than you) in two John Deere Lawn tractors with Kawasaki engines with excellent results.

In the one, I change the oil every 100-125 hours (Deere recommends every at least ever 150 hours). It is currently at 2600 hours, and I had the valve covers off of it (back in 2011) at 2020 hours to change out some leaky gaskets. Here's what I found.

011511-3008.jpg

I'm very happy, and it shows that the oil is doing everything that it needs to be doing. I can get this oil in a gallon jug at the local Home Improvement superstore for around $12 a gallon... so it is a very robust oil at a reasonable price.

I've been running ASE AMSOIL 10w-30/30 in my ExMark's Kawasaki engine since new and it is doing great at 325hrs, never uses a drop of oil from season to season. Like you I only use it for home use even though it is a commercial unit. Laser Z HP 48" cut. I change the oil out every fall before I put it away.

I use PYB (Pennzoil yellow bottle) straight SAE30 in my Exmark's Kawi FH500V, in Connecticut. SAE 40 would be a choice for you in your summer heat.

Pretty much the only way to screw this engine up is to not change your oil.

Last edited:
I always recommend T5 or ASE for OPE but yours specs a 40. Any of the HDEO SAE40 found at your local parts store will meet your needs.

I would have no trouble running SAE40, 15W40, or 5W40 Synthetic in your mower. I would probably go with the 5W40 synthetic as my first choice.
0002396839145_500X500.jpg

12HD81_AS02.JPG

70518.jpg

0007192414987_500X500.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back