Replacement for ATE Super Blue DOT 4 Brake Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a cost effective replacement brake fluid.I have been using the ATE Blue for the past 10 years and need a good replacement. As you can't buy it in the US anymore, Cars are street driven.
Thanks
Joe

ATE Type 200 is the exact same fluid but without the blue dye.

I don't think SB is really that great of a brake fluid anyway. For the money, there are better performance brake fluids. The only reason I ever used it was ease of bleeding.

Originally Posted By: dparm

I don't think SB is really that great of a brake fluid anyway. For the money, there are better performance brake fluids. The only reason I ever used it was ease of bleeding.

What are some alternatives?

I will disagree with your statement, there is no other fluid within that price range that is rated for up to 3 years. That IMO is very attractive.

Where as Motul RBF 600 is ~6 months, If you can change it out your self that's good but majority of people cannot.

On a side note, ATE has ballooned in price I used to get it for $13...

edit: intreesting http://www.ate-na.com/www/download/ate_u...l_notice_en.pdf

I have always bought Type 200 but all the blue is gone now...

Last edited:
Interesting. Last time I bought it I noticed that only clear was available, which is fine since I previously had blue. I will miss being able to alternate going forward.

Type 200 is the same as Super Blue but without the blue.

Is the blue really necessary though? Isn't it pretty easy to tell fresh clear/amber fluid from the old black stuff?

Also, the blue dye stains everywhere in the system!

I'm a big fan of Wagner Severe Duty brake fluid.

If you must have the blue, there are some sellers on eBay that still have some.

Type 200 is just a confusing product to me. It is pushed as a performance fluid for enthusiasts, namely because the blue dye makes it easy to flush. The 3 year claim is worthless for a performance fluid as anyone serious about performance will be flushing it yearly (most tracks/clubs require this).

However, there are fluids like Neo SuperDot, Motul RBF600, and Stoptech fluids with better wet boiling points for virtually the same money.

I still think it's a good fluid for DIYers, but it is NOT a performance fluid in my opinion.

I am quite frankly glad the stuff is no longer available. It is billed as performance brake fluid, but I think that is kind of a joke.

In the hundreds upon hundreds of track days I have attended or events I've competed in, ATE SB is the only brake fluid that has boiled on me. If I had been going into a 50mph corner instead of a 65mph one, I'd have been mowing the lawn. The brakes weren't an issue, having never boiled any other fluid (StopTech Trophy 6P/4P 355/348), and the system was properly bled.

I highly recommend Motul RBF600, it's the best dual purpose fluid I've used outside of the 5-6x more expensive Castrol SRF. I have never had an issue with It only lasting 6mo in a road car, in fact I get 18-24mo out of it with pure street drivin. Track use, iI bleed before and after every event, but It lasts multiple day long events, although I always run fresh RBF660 if I'm competing just because I want any advantage I can get. I just broke in new pads and rotors a week ago, with 10 hard almost stops, from 120mph to 25mph (and immediately back up to speed, and braking the second I hit 120). The brakes were smoking but the pedal didn't even start to get soft, which is impressive.

Type 200 is just a confusing product to me. It is pushed as a performance fluid for enthusiasts, namely because the blue dye makes it easy to flush. The 3 year claim is worthless for a performance fluid as anyone serious about performance will be flushing it yearly (most tracks/clubs require this).

However, there are fluids like Neo SuperDot, Motul RBF600, and Stoptech fluids with better wet boiling points for virtually the same money.

I still think it's a good fluid for DIYers, but it is NOT a performance fluid in my opinion.

^^^THIS

I've often wondered IF the Castrol React SRF with it's highest on the planet WET boiling point would last for more than the year of street driving that most of the other, lower wet point racing fluids would/could, given that WET boiling point???
21.gif

It SHOULD with that astronomical price!!
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

^^^THIS

I've often wondered IF the Castrol React SRF with it's highest on the planet WET boiling point would last for more than the year of street driving that most of the other, lower wet point racing fluids would/could, given that WET boiling point???
21.gif

It SHOULD with that astronomical price!!
crazy2.gif

I wouldn't use React SRF for more than a year. As I said above, most tracks and clubs tell you to flush it every year. For $65/bottle, it's cheap insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back