Mobil 5w50 SN VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Didn't realize this was a product available in NA!

Yes it's made and bottled in US quarts in the States but distribution is limited.

Some NAPAs and select speed shops carry it.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Didn't realize this was a product available in NA!

Yes it's made and bottled in US quarts in the States but distribution is limited.

Some NAPAs and select speed shops carry it.

I got like 10 quarts in my yard sale oil score a few years ago. I tried it in my Harley. Didn't like it.
In hindsight I should have saved it.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
How exactly is dumping oil that isn't depleted and replacing it with oil that isn't depleted "cheap insurance"

Price oil. Price an engine. Voila!

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D
How exactly is dumping oil that isn't depleted and replacing it with oil that isn't depleted "cheap insurance"

Price oil. Price an engine. Voila!

That makes no sense.
How does draining oil that is still serviceable,and replacing it with oil that is serviceable cheap insurance. If the oil isn't depleted then its performing the same as new oil.
Actually since engine oil requires some oxidation to perform as intended the old oil is providing better protection.

Wanna try that voila again?

Looking at the math, what I saved on oil and filters in the taxis by doubling the OCI and sticking to conventional was significant. Going to manufacturers recommended OCIs and synthetics for "cheap insurance" would have bought each taxi a brand new crate engine at the end of their service life, which wasn't needed anyhow since the engines ran fine while everything else was falling apart.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
$36 for 5 litres today at Supercheap...

Bought the limit (1).

For the M1 5W-50??

If so, then they are giving it away considering the normal Ozzie prices!!

Yep, half price on 5W-30, 0W-40, and 5W-50.

last 5L bottle of M1 in my store, so word is out.

Bought some shell helix for less than $3/l the other day.

Something's moving

Sounds more like expensive insurance considering if the tbn is at 7 and starts at 9 or 10 you've effectively thrown money out the window.
Cheap insurance,right,because the oil is some kind of risk.

Simple. Rather than spending $35 on a UOA+TBN, I spend $40 and put fresh oil in. I periodically send samples to make sure wear metals are in order, but not every OCI. If, as you suggest, I were using UOA+TBN to make sure I was getting every last ounce of life out of the oil, I'd be spending hundreds in oil analyses before finally changing the oil.

My engine spends about 25% of it's total miles at Mid Ohio Sports Car Course or Watkins Glen. Under those conditions, I'd rather have the piece of mind of KNOWING my oil is fresh, instead of wondering if the next sample is going to come back with TBN of 0.9 or KV@100C of 11.0 and wear metals through the roof. So to me, the $5 difference between sending in a sample or just changing the oil is cheap insurance.

Nevermind that Porsche re-manufactured engine is $13,000 + 30hrs labor.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Does this product have Ford's actual approval yet for the Coyote (boosted or otherwise) specs which call for a 5W-50??

IT SHOULD!!
wink.gif

No it is not compliant with the Ford 5W50 oil spec, but I've been using it in my 2007 GT500 for years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back