Any car owners with bypass and huge mileage?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Fun is certainly part of the game and UOAs make it even funnier.

Still, the more I read about lubrication, the more I understand that dirt is a major enemy and I fail to understand what a good oil would do about it, excluding soot of course.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slalom44
I have 248,000 miles on my '03 Honda S2000 with an Amsoil BMK-13 dual remote bypass filter system and a prelube pump. I run Amsoil Signature Series 0W-30 oil with 40,000 mile OCIs. My car still runs like new and my UOAs are looking great.

I agree that the filter is the key, but it takes a good oil with a robust add pack to allow you to extend your OCIs enough to make it cost effective.

Bypass and main filter are very importance when you do 30-40k miles OCI's, when you follow Honda recommended 7.5k miles OCI's then OEM filter PCX-004 is more than adequate.

When I use syn oil in my LS400 I double the OCI interval to 1 year up to 14-15k miles, I use various low-mid range filters such as Purolator, Motorcraft ... The car is almost 300k miles now without any engine problem related to oil or anything else, even the valve cover gaskets are original.

I have a GS400 and been running wix filters and 10k changes on synthetic oil. I have a bypass filter (no mount yet) on the shelf I am thinking about using. Just wondering if it is worth it. Only cost for me to go bypass is the mount.

I do drive 40k a year. And always welcome an increase in oil capacity.

I only have 285,500 so far on the 4.3L chevy and have the Amsoil dual-remote setup. I change the Eao15 at 16K and the Ea015 and BP90 at 32K when I change the oil also. Oil reports look great and engine is dry. Am I saving tons of money? probably not but I drive 3K/month and I like doing my oil changes only once/year. At 32K oci and my time NOT under the truck I am sure I saving some! And btw - Only Amsoil Signature series 0W-30.

Just as an opposite view

I have 96 dodge 2500 with cummins

319,000 miles (276,000)when I purchased

In its previous life, oil was seldom changed and truck was a shop truck for steel company. They did change the oil when they seized a turbo (from lack of lube)

I fixed the oil leak at the front seal dropped transmission, bigger injectors, turbo, dv's and timing on it.

I neither burn nor leak oil. I use a Baldwin dual flow filter that contains a bypass filter with 5,000 mile oci's

Conoco fleet supreme 15-40

I've been coming to Bob's since early 2005 and after reading all I could I decided to put a Motorguard bypass on my 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan. At the time it had 200K miles on it. I am the original owner and up to that point I had used Amzoil and Mobil 1 with factory filters with an occasional oil analysis. The van ran great for the first 200K miles and I wanted to see how far it would go. Actually, at this point, I couldn't beleive it made it to 200K, especially after having heard all of the horror stories about Chysler minivan transmissions.

As of today, the van has 496K miles on it - almost 300K miles (eight years) with a bypass. Is the bypass the reason it's still runs like new? Who knows, but it's still running very strong.

I put a Trasko bypass and a Magfine inline filter on the tranny cooler lines at around 210K and the factory tranny lasted until 442K! Probably a world record for a Chrysler transmission.

I have tons of photos and all receipts for the life of the van to prove that it did in fact last this long and if it wasn't for the rust that is starting to take over, I think this van would go at least another couple hundred thousand more miles but I fear that the rust will be it's demise.

I have to thank all of the people here at BITOG for all the great postings and info that they share, I know it's helped me to learn a lot and I've had fun doing all the tinkering. When I hit 500K I'm going to shoot a video and edit it with all of the picturs I've taken of all the places this van has been and post it on YouTube. I should be hitting 500K in about a month and a half. I'll report back then.

Originally Posted By: biron
I've been coming to Bob's since early 2005 and after reading all I could I decided to put a Motorguard bypass on my 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan. At the time it had 200K miles on it. I am the original owner and up to that point I had used Amzoil and Mobil 1 with factory filters with an occasional oil analysis. The van ran great for the first 200K miles and I wanted to see how far it would go. Actually, at this point, I couldn't beleive it made it to 200K, especially after having heard all of the horror stories about Chysler minivan transmissions.

As of today, the van has 496K miles on it - almost 300K miles (eight years) with a bypass. Is the bypass the reason it's still runs like new? Who knows, but it's still running very strong.

I put a Trasko bypass and a Magfine inline filter on the tranny cooler lines at around 210K and the factory tranny lasted until 442K! Probably a world record for a Chrysler transmission.

I have tons of photos and all receipts for the life of the van to prove that it did in fact last this long and if it wasn't for the rust that is starting to take over, I think this van would go at least another couple hundred thousand more miles but I fear that the rust will be it's demise.

I have to thank all of the people here at BITOG for all the great postings and info that they share, I know it's helped me to learn a lot and I've had fun doing all the tinkering. When I hit 500K I'm going to shoot a video and edit it with all of the picturs I've taken of all the places this van has been and post it on YouTube. I should be hitting 500K in about a month and a half. I'll report back then.

Wow!

Can't wait to hear and see what you have to say.

Ok, I finally hit 500,000 miles on the 1999 Grand Caravan. I shot a video of the odometer turning over from 499,999 to zero. Yup, it went to zero! I thought it would go to 500,000 but maybe Chrysler didn't expect these vehicles to make it to 500K. Here's the link to the video: http://youtu.be/G8x1obfdi44

In the time since it hit 500K in July of 2013, I've added another 18,000 miles.

Last edited:
I have an OilGuard EPS10 on my !echo! that was installed early on in the life of the car; This was all prior to my extensive reading on BITOG; If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't bother or if I did, I would get a dual Amsoil setup. There really isn't any room under the hood and it would require removing the front bumper. Right after I bought it the filter prices skyrocketed so I don't bother changing the filter element unless it plugs or malfunctions. (2 have malfunctioned)

That being said 300K+ miles and I'm just coming around to dnewton's way of thinking.

My car consumes 1qt/1-2K now which is actually a blessing in disguise when we are going on a few months without a dry day to do an OC.

I run M1 EP filters in the winter so I don't have to bother changing the filter during an OC, I just drain and refill (5 minute OC)

Originally Posted By: biron
Ok, I finally hit 500,000 miles on the 1999 Grand Caravan. I shot a video of the odometer turning over from 499,999 to zero. Yup, it went to zero! I thought it would go to 500,000 but maybe Chrysler didn't expect these vehicles to make it to 500K. Here's the link to the video: http://youtu.be/G8x1obfdi44

In the time since it hit 500K in July of 2013, I've added another 18,000 miles.

wow. which engine is this? 3.3? 3.8? 2.4?

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
We ran bypass filters on fleet trucks for many years.

Seriously, on most newer cars there is no real ROI, as the additional expense and UOA's will eat up your meager savings.

Modern oils and good filters have taken away the benefits for the ordinary driver.

I don't agree. Some modern engines have inadequate crankcase ventilation due to the mfrs. trying to meet environmental standards on the cheap. Take the Toyota Sienna for example: years of "engine sludge" problems caused by inadequate ventilation, which Toyota would never admit or explain.

A bypass filter is an excellent idea for engines like this, and a filter with an electrically-heated evaporation chamber is an even better idea to vent the gases that cause the problem.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TP4ME
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
We ran bypass filters on fleet trucks for many years.

Seriously, on most newer cars there is no real ROI, as the additional expense and UOA's will eat up your meager savings.

Modern oils and good filters have taken away the benefits for the ordinary driver.

I don't agree. Some modern engines have inadequate crankcase ventilation due to the mfrs. trying to meet environmental standards on the cheap. Take the Toyota Sienna for example: years of "engine sludge" problems caused by inadequate ventilation, which Toyota would never admit or explain.

A bypass filter is an excellent idea for engines like this, and a filter with an electrically-heated evaporation chamber is an even better idea to vent the gases that cause the problem.

Sorry, but no agreement here. We just sold a fleet truck with over one half MILLION miles on it! No smoke, no noise, no consumption, still working in another state today.

The oil was changed by the OLM from new, never any special care. And our duty cycle voids warranty from any other mfgr except GM.

I have bought an awful lot of stuff in the aftermarket, if it makes you feel good then do it. It's your car. But on most typical cars and trucks there is no measurable benefit. Of course there are special cases, but the average car is not involved.

If there was we'd be doing it, as this is how we eat...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: azsynthetic
Originally Posted By: alexeft
Nice on the 360k one! Any oil related problems like using oil?

It is a 91 Chevy V8 K1500. I am running an Amsoil BE-110 bypass with a M1 stainless steel mesh full flow. I have not changed either filters in the past four years. I drained out the old oil at every 10K and refilled with whatever I have left on the shelves. Honestly, I don't know what oil is in there right now. Oil consumption is less than a quart per OCI. Engine has not been opened for any repair yet, like a rock.
With your oild changes the bypass is not a +

Originally Posted By: alexeft
I just had mine installed on my Prius. Nothing to report yet.

so how is the prius doing with that?
no measured performance but i had a bypass filter on a gas car for a few years, it had about 370,000km when i took the filter off to put on another car. it didnt burn any oil and the oil didnt start to turn colour untill about 5000km into the oci and never went all black. now at 420k it uses oil and the oil turnes darker at about 2000km into the oil change. no idea if its related but it sure is annoying. and the car does 3100rpm at highway speeds so it sees more revolutions than most cars for the same milage.

Last edited:
I have 431000 on my 1978 240d and the engine still running strong, but I have other things that need fixing, but the engine runs great.

I am currently using a motor guard, getting the oil with metric t-adparter between the oil gauge tube and the oil filter housing, and returning to the oil cap using an amsoil adapter.

note: when the hoop stop rubber wore out the amsoil oil-cap adapter hit the hood and made a dent on the hood.

The scott 1000 sold individually makes a perfect fit, the scott 1000 sold in packs is not the same, the center tube is wider on the ones sold in packs.

planning on putting the 1/8 oil reductor on the input fitting to see if it stops the oil leak, since the filter even with new o-ring leaks, the only time it did not leak was with a small amount of silicone around the o-ring.

I've got a 4.6l DOHC mark-viii engine in my 99 mustang GT, and I probably put about 6-8k miles on the car per year. My only thing is, the mark-viii engine that I swapped in was from a junkyard, and I have no clue as to the number of miles, I just know I looked inside and saw it was pretty clean but with some carbon buildup on the valve stems. I'm just wondering if one of the Amsoil bypass filtration systems seems like something that would make sense for my situation

Back