Purolator Pure One oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a Purolator Pure One oil filter PL24458 from Advance Auto for my '89 Honda Accord. I went online to check that I bought the correct filter size and found that they list two filters PL14459 and PL24458 while stock lasts. Looking at the specifications on the filters show that the PL14459 is an inch shorter in height. Why would they reduce the filter surface area when they advertise that all "More pleats provide more surface area to prevent oil restriction..."

Seems very odd to change the filter surface area to make it smaller. Any thoughts on this is appreciated.

One theory:

Accountants across all corporations did a cost benefit analysis and determined that a smaller filter will more than adequately get the car to 100,000 miles with recommended maintenance.

After that, they could care less.

Now if they fully warranted engines for 300,000 miles, I'm sure you would see an increase in filter and especially sump size. Maybe even include bypass-filters as original equipment.

I heard more than a couple of people say that Honda went with the smaller filters because it helps bring the oil pressure faster. Secondly, a smaller filter means that it will fit in more (all) vehicles so the dealership only needs to stock one or two sizes.

I think all Hondas/Acuras use the smaller filter now except for the S2000.

I may still consider using the larger filter on my 2004 CR-V.

quote:

Originally posted by Razl:
I heard more than a couple of people say that Honda went with the smaller filters because it helps bring the oil pressure faster.

This is not directed at you Razl, but that is one of the dumbest theories I've heard on BITOG.

quote:

Originally posted by SuperStuff:
I bought a Purolator Pure One oil filter PL24458 from Advance Auto for my '89 Honda Accord. I went online to check that I bought the correct filter size and found that they list two filters PL14459 and PL24458 while stock lasts. Looking at the specifications on the filters show that the PL14459 is an inch shorter in height. Why would they reduce the filter surface area when they advertise that all "More pleats provide more surface area to prevent oil restriction..."

Seems very odd to change the filter surface area to make it smaller. Any thoughts on this is appreciated.

==
One more time, Smaller outside doesn't necessarily mean less media inside. Many of the the newer, smaller filters have as much or more filter area as the larger ones. Only way to be sure is to cut them open and measure.

quote:

Originally posted by labman:

quote:

Originally posted by SuperStuff:

==
One more time, Smaller outside doesn't necessarily mean less media inside. Many of the the newer, smaller filters have as much or more filter area as the larger ones. Only way to be sure is to cut them open and measure.

Fortunately or unfortunately, in this particular case, the PL24458 has more media than the PL14459. At least on the 4-(2 of each) I cut open.

But I bet the PL24458 will soon be hard to find since they were speced for cars from the '80s. Unless something like a new forklift begins specifying this size.
grin.gif

The current Honda "thimble" filter is even physically smaller than the Purolator 14459 (itself about the size of previous Honda oil filters). Even if the amount of filtration media is identical, I'd rather run more oil volume given the choice. So, for me, the 24458 would be the way to go if there's adequate physical clearance. Others may disagree. But, then, they're not paying for my car, either...

I don't think that the 24458 will fit certain cars due to its extra length. PureOne 14459 and 24458 have 116 and 198 sq in of media, respectively. At 116 sq in, the 14459 has a fairly large surface area; the Bosch 3312, which is Bosch's version for Hondas, has only 81 sq in. I'm not sure why Purolator calls for the larger 24458 for late 80's Hondas (although I think oversized is good and use the 24458 myself for my Mopar), since the 14459 has more than enough media for these smaller engines. While more media is better (although not required), I'm not sure the 24458 would even be necessary. It may very well be a part # which eventually disappears.

Gotta applaud their quick response and honesty. I'll keep buying their filters. I figure the filter area due to the extra pleats give more surface over most others anyway...

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
A smaller filter will build oil pressure on the first start if the filter wasn't filled. After that if the ADBV is working properly it should be the same. It's true to a point, but it's probably not the reason for the change. Clearance and smaller inventory are probably the reasons.

-T

A bad ADBV in one filter doesn't indicate that you should use a smaller filter. It indicates that you should change the bad filter.

quote:

This is not directed at you Razl, but that is one of the dumbest theories I've heard on BITOG.

Good point and no offense taken. It seems this rumor is on some Honda forumns too that I visited. I agree that is probably bogus.

A smaller filter will build oil pressure on the first start if the filter wasn't filled. After that if the ADBV is working properly it should be the same. It's true to a point, but it's probably not the reason for the change. Clearance and smaller inventory are probably the reasons.

-T

I e-mailed my question about the change in filter size to their Filter Hotline. They forwarded it to their engineering department. This was the response:

"Change is always happening. We are always looking for ways to improve manufacturing efficiencies. Where it makes sense to consolidate one filter with another the overall cost and efficiencies improve. These consolidations are researched fully before they are implemented.

As far the size of the filter is concerned, bigger in not necessarily better. The filter performance is influenced by many factors with size being only one of them. With the proper media a smaller filter can actually perform better than a larger filter."

I like the theory that they can reduce inventory by adding another part number.
pat.gif

As to the OP.
The L14459 filter is considered the "correct" size for your application, but Purolator has listed the L24458. Apparently they have enough confidence in their filters to list an "oversize" filter as being OK to use, unlike the other manufacturers.
My hats off to them
biggthumbcoffe.gif

This might be somewhat important regarding warranty issues for those of us that want to use an "oversize" filter. Since Purolator says it's OK....

The Pure One has given me good results so I don't intend to change.I know they are more restrictive than the cheaper version.I haven't heard of anyone losing oil pressure with the Pure One. In fact the 10years I used FRAM
shocked.gif
I can't say I had any trouble either. But I never did a UOA so perhaps that may be why my Nissan truck developed a small oil leak.I have used the (WIX) NAPA GOLD with good results but will continue to use the PURE ONE till I see bad results.The Purolator Air filter did not give me a reduced silicon so unless they make a better filter I will stick with the NAPA Air filter too.
wink.gif

Didn't somebody post some pictures once of two filters, same brand, with different sized cans but the element inside was the same?

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:

-T

A bad ADBV in one filter doesn't indicate that you should use a smaller filter. It indicates that you should change the bad filter.

I never said nor implied that. Were you responding to someone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back