GM power steering fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love the fact my fords just use ATF but what is the general recommendation on a GM, specefically an Oldsmobile aurora with the superstars 3.5L?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say any fluid meeting this spec, GM P/N 1052884, Spec 9985010 would work just fine for the power steering.

I always used regular PS fluid (not the leak stop kind) in my Buick and it worked well. I used Walmart brand with good results. I would turkey baster it out every couple of oil changes.

Originally Posted By: tig1
M1 ATF should work well for you.

Oh, you should have seen the way that the dealer's service adviser scolded me for doing this in my Silverado.

And they did me a "favor" by flushing it all out at no charge, and replacing it with the [censored]-tastic stuff that GM recommends, that causes my power steering pump to moan and groan all winter long.

And as I've mentioned before, they stopped seeing me about the same time the warranty expired. Imagine that!

GM PSF is about as cheaply made as PSF gets. I get Valvoline from parts stores because it meets the specs and isn't expensive.

However, when I want high performance, I buy Royal Purple.

I've used Valvoline PSF in my Grand Prix its whole life and I've owned it since new. 219k miles now and no issues at all.

My wagon had some cold weather power steering issues and I use Redline PSF in it and it has been happy for several years now with that.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
I dumped the GM stuff for CHF 11S and haven't looked back.

I did the same, the Pentosin fluid is GREAT for these 0*F mornings, and it actually carries a GM/AC Delco part number (for late model GMs) at the store I buy it from.
thumbsup2.gif
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back