Something a bit old

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDW

Many a can of WolfsHead engine oil has gone through these from the 60s and 70s.

20140209_163823_zpsd0d0f383.jpg

I actually saw them in an antique shop not long ago and they were anywhere from $9 for the thin, stamped-steel models to $25 for the hard-chromed models. I still have two and also have the "toppers" with pour spouts and caps for quart cans.

Guys can engine oils still be had in cans ? I have not seen any since the early 80s.

I remember the one on the right. They would always hang it over the trash can to drip at the filling stations.. I never bought oil and had them add it at a gas station. Always assumed the pouring spout would be dirty.

I remember a guy who worked at a gas station telling me they would often not push the dipstick all the way down when checking the oil and then show the driver that the dipstick said the oil was low. They would then push one of the pouring spouts into an empty oil can and add a can of nothing to the engine but then charge the customer $1.00 for engine oil.

Last edited:
$1 for engine oil??? Wow, back in the days of using the can spouts, I never paid more than $0.40 for a quart.

Remember the Quaker State Deluxe 10w20w30?

I remember the one on the right as well. I used to love the feel of when you pressed it into the metal top of a cardboard Pennzoil container. Last time I used one of those must have been about 1980-82?

Yep, still have mine, chrome plated job. Haven't used it since Reagan was prez. Still remember the sound it makes, sort of a metallic "schloop". An antique, like it's owner.

Oh yeah! The "schloop".....perfect explanation for the sound! I just saw one of mine today while looking for a timing light for a friend at work to borrow. I had to blow the dust off of it.

Originally Posted By: JDW
Guys can engine oils still be had in cans ? I have not seen any since the early 80s.

3x4q.jpg

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
Yep, still have mine, chrome plated job. Haven't used it since Reagan was prez. Still remember the sound it makes, sort of a metallic "schloop". An antique, like it's owner.

And then it still leaked; I used to cram an old rag around it where it met the can, so it wouldn't drip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back