Keeping Your Carpet Dry...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides buying those expensive car mats with the inverted edges, how do you all keep your vehicles carpet dry in the winter?

I have all-season mats from Costco in each of my cars. They fit fine and keep the factory mats and underlying carpet nice n'clean.

Last edited:
I buy the winter mats and when it gets too full with snow melt I lay a newspaper on it to soak up the water. When it gets saturated you slop into the recycle bin.

I have the husky liners in my Jeep. Since they are diamond plated, I feel more manly.

Walmart has a huge selection of winter mats with deep inserts for holding water.. Anywhere between $15-$30. Pick your poison.

*A friend and I went to a junkyard and got carpeted mats for his car. $1 each and looked great.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Warstud
Besides buying those expensive car mats with the inverted edges

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Weathertech

Yep Those..

Weathertech in the Audi. Honda OEM all weather mats in the Ody. You're never going to keep your carpets dry unless you use a good rubber mat.

My VW came with OEM "Monster" mats.

2nvz8o.jpg

My F150 came with both carpet mats and rubber mats. I just installed the rubber mats, they work well enough. The carpet ones are in a closet somewhere, still in their plastic coverings.

I've installed some custom-fit ones from Hexomat; they look like what skyactiv posted above. I deal more with water and mud here (lots of mud), so these should hold the rain, and being tan they won't show the dirt as easily as black.

Along with the water, there is salt that is getting under your OEM carpet.

You don't say what your vehicle is.

Rugged Ridge are about 1/2 the price of Weathertec and many Jeepers think that Rugged Ridge are better. Many complain about the Husky liners being thin and that they warp over time.

Check out Rugged Ridge on Amazon if they have ones that fit your vehicle.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

That is a very good point.

I try to do a really good job of knocking all the snow from my shoes, and I use a cheap clear mat to protect the carpet mat.

Besides buying those expensive car mats with the inverted edges

Weathertech

Yep Those..

Well you either spend $10 on some rubber ones at the car wash that kind of fit and work, or you spend $100 on a set of Weathertech's that actually fit and work well.

I have done it both ways.

Weathertech

Well you either spend $10 on some rubber ones at the car wash that kind of fit and work, or you spend $100 on a set of Weathertech's that actually fit and work well.

I have done it both ways.

Yup. Spot on responses. A quality floor liner is the only way to go.

Weathertech
Husky
Rugged Ridge
Nifty Catch-All

You can cheap out or get something that actually works. I choose to get a quality product that actually works. Weathertech liners( digit fit )are generally the 1st thing I buy for a new vehicle. When I sell a vehicle 3 years down the road the carpets are literally like the day I bought the vehicle new and it benefits me on value received.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: doitmyself

You don't say what your vehicle is.

Rugged Ridge are about 1/2 the price of Weathertec and many Jeepers think that Rugged Ridge are better. Many complain about the Husky liners being thin and that they warp over time.

Check out Rugged Ridge on Amazon if they have ones that fit your vehicle.

RR mats are very good but they are not 1/2 the price of WT's. It is much closer than that and barring sales within a few bucks of each other. Cheaper almost always yes but not 50% cheaper.
31.gif

Using my former 2011 Jeep Patriot as an example...

Weathertech Front = $100-$110 for set
Rugged Ridge = $90-$100 set

My only issue with RR is the cleat like surface makes them harder to clean. Weathertech liners clean up a lot easier and do just as good a job protecting the interior.

Older Husky liners did have an issue with cupping but the newer ones seem to be better. Any of those 3 brands is a good choice really. So are the Nifty Catch-All liners( new name - Lund has them now ).

1998 Lexus ES400 Sedan with carpet like new, 113k miles. I have factory mats on factory carpet. On that, I have coconut husk doormats, because they absorb snow melt (and coffee) and smell like - well like coconut husk. I have a driver front right corner notched out and edged with silicone to allow unobstructed fuel pedal movement. To keep coco-mats from getting heel and shoe divots, I have square pieces of leather from old wellington boots placed where those cheesy rubber pads would be in aftermarket mats. held in place with zip ties and I am very happy with appearance, protection and price. If I kick major snow off on entering cabin, it all stays pretty dry and lasting over a year compared to rubber mats which either cost a bundle, or leak and split.

Overkill, but I like the automobile - a lot. When these wear out, I am going to try sisal or grass mats, if the places that used to make them recover from that tseunami, which is about the time they vanished from Lowes and internet sellers.

amazon mats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back