Lubricheck Repeatability = 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I was an initial backer of Lubricheck on Kickstarter and was very interested in trying the device.

What a disappointment! I have found the repeatablity (ie getting the same result for the same oil sample measured at the same time and method)to be close to zero. A typical result will provide a reading of 8, then no reading then reading of 2 then 4 then 9.

I carefully clean the sensor and leave the device on a flat surface as recommended in the instructions.

I have emailed the makers twice for some advice without any response; apparently potential new customers are more valued than existing customers. Maybe Ive got a bad unit but without a response from the manufacturers I cant determine if this is the case.

Im happy to promote any new business; as long as it works. Repeatability is a minimum requirements for testing and as Lubricheck does not have this I can not recommend Lubricheck.

Any positive suggestions on how to improve the use of the device would be appreciated.

Cheers

Update,

Lubricheck have contacted me and confirmed that the sensor is under warranty. Apparently they did not receive my previous emails so hopefully this issue will be quickly resolved..

Cheers

Well, it's good that they're going to help, but your situation seems to indicate that it's a gadget, rather than a real tool or a measuring device. How is the average person using it supposed to know if the sensor has failed? If there's no way to test the calibration, it isn't much good. The average person may not check for repeatability like you did.

An update on my Lubricheck. As mentioned I was contacted by Lubicheck who sent me a replacement unit (ver 3.17 if I remember correctly).

In short; the repeatability was good but depends on your cleaning method; read below.

First thing to note is that it is much faster than the initial (first batch) of devices.

I tested the repeatability on the new device by thoroughly wiping the sensor with a paper towel after each measurement as recommended.

The first trial of 4 samples showed some variability which I did not record.

So a second set of trials which was recorded;
Trial 1; measured 5 sensor wiped with paper cloth
Trial 2; measured 2 this time cleaned the sensor with WD40 and a paper towel.
Trial 3; measured 5 cleaned with WD40 and paper towel
Trial 4; measured 6 cleaned with WD40 and paper towel
Trial 5; measured 6 cleaned with WD40 and paper towel

After each cleaning the Lubricheck was left to "zero" itself as per instructions.

So for testing several samples of oil one after the other it seems that the sensor needs to be thoroughly cleaned with WD40 or similar to remove all traces of oil from the previous test.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Well, at least the repeatability is there with your improved method. Now, we need to see how well it compares to other data, be it UOA or comparing a virgin sample to something that's got a pile of miles on it, at the very least.

Folks,

FYI - I sent Lubricheck my posting. Their response confirms the need for thorough cleaning with a SOFT paper towel but that WD40 may still leave a trace of oil.

Thanks for sharing! You are absolutely correct. It is critical that the senor is well cleaned. I think most paper towels may be too stiff to get in between the gold plated traces and around the edge of the sensor. We have tried to stress that SOFT towels or SOFT toilet paper may be good choices. The best option is to do a final wipe with microfiber. That stuff is like an oil magnet. It will also shine up and clean the case like new, too.

We have recently been experimenting with using solvents. I fear that WD-40 will leave a slight residue that may influence subsequent measurements. We are pretty pleased with our lab results using a drop or 2 of gasoline on a Q-tip or soft rag. It dries instantly, and leaves no deposit to worry about. We will probably add this advice to our website, along with a cautionary note to extinguish smoking materials and avoid setting your hair or the neighborhood in fire.

Thanks for helping spread the word on the proper use of the Lubricheck! It is a reliable and consistent device if cleaned well!

I just received a lubricheck a few days ago. I confirm the absolute needed for the sensor to be ABSOLUTELY clean before each measurement.

I found that glass cleaners and soft napkins are good enough. The sensor has to be cleaned and dried until nothing comes out on the napkin. Take special care of the sensor edges.

Another thing that takes its toll on the readings is to stir the oil well on the sensor before taking the measurement.

If cleaning and stirring are done, repeatability is excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back