2014 Camry 2.5L, 9925 miles, 0W20 Factory Fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the first UOA on my new Camry. This is a commuter vehicle seeing about 110 miles per day. Usage is primarily highway (about 80%). As expected, certain wear metals are high as well as silicon. I was pleased to see a remaining TBN of 1.9 although this vehicle sees highway use most of the time.

Any comments are welcome.

Code:

2014 Camry 2.5L

Toyota 0W20 Factory Fill

Miles on Oil: 9,925

Miles on Vehicle: 9,925

No Oil added

Sample taken: 2/12/14

ALUMINUM 5

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 21

COPPER 101

LEAD 1

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 162

NICKEL 3

MANGANESE 9

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 47

POTASSIUM 8

BORON 3

SILICON 242

SODIUM 369

CALCIUM 1506

MAGNESIUM 7

PHOSPHORUS 651

ZINC 752

BARIUM 3

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 6.33

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 46.9

Flashpoint in °F 385

Fuel % TR

Water % 0.0

Antifreeze % 0.0

Insolubles % 0.3

TBN 1.9

Last edited:
That's a nice TBN with nearly 10k miles on the oil. That makes me even more excited to use my TGMO 0w-20 this summer
smile.gif
how do you like the car?

The Camry meets my needs as a commuter. It gets good fuel economy, has a nice ride, handles well, and has decent acceleration. Avg fuel economy for the life of the vehicle is 30.6 mpg. I'm expecting an increase as warmer weather arrives and winter fuel is phased out. I purchased it in Oct 2013.

No Accord anymore huh?

Originally Posted By: chaser06
Here is the first UOA on my Honda. The vehicle has a total of 19,668 miles with almost 10k on this sample. No oil was added during this run. I drive about 100 miles per day commuting mostly highway miles (about 90%). My Maintenance minder was at 15% when I changed the oil.

Miles on oil: 9962
Miles on vehicle: 19668
Date of test: 6/13/08
Oil: Mobil 1 5W-20
Oil Filter: Purolator PureOne

Iron 18
Chromium 0
Lead 4
Copper 9
Tin 0
Aluminum 10
Nickel 5
Silver 0
Silicon 25
Boron 47
Sodium 24
Magnesium 17
Calcium 2081
Barium 0
Phosphorus 668
Zinc 823
Molybdenum 92
Titanium 0
Vanadium 0
Potassium 0

Fuel Visc100 7.39
Water 0
Coolant No
TBN 3.39

Any comments?

Noticed the titanium in the factory fill. The high wear numbers and high silicon causes me to wonder whether shorter first oil changes are the way to go. Any opinions ?

Amen to you!! Commuter car or not, takes a pair to run FF to 10k. Impressied with the results also.

Close to shearing out of grade, though. Don't know if oils used during break-in shear more than normal, but this seems worth watching, especially as your use pattern is close to ideal.

It appears 10,000 miles on TGMO in your usage pattern works well. I would continue with confidence.

However, under Toyota Care for the Camry 2.5, dealers will only change the oil every 10,000 miles (or one year) regardless of usage conditions. I am not confident that the oil will keep the engine clean for 10,000 miles of only short trips. At 5,000 miles the dealer only checks the level and rotates wheels, no oil change.

Toyota specifies synthetic oil and after reading various posts on this site regarding TGMO I decided to follow Toyota's recommendations. If my use consisted of only short trips I think my OCI would be less; not 5,000 miles, maybe 7,500.

Toyota's "maintenance minder" (sorry, I'm used to Honda's) appears to be purely odometer based; every 5,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: walk23
Noticed the titanium in the factory fill. The high wear numbers and high silicon causes me to wonder whether shorter first oil changes are the way to go. Any opinions ?

What high wear numbers? The numbers in this UOA look great!

Originally Posted By: Patman

+1, yeah really, I was thinking the same thing. My dad has a 2012 Camry and brother just bought a 2014 Camry. So it's good to see this report. Dad has been going 10k intervals and I've been checking the level every few weeks. It's coming up on 40k miles.

Originally Posted By: Patman

Copper @ 101 for one..

. The high wear numbers and high silicon causes me to wonder whether shorter first oil changes are the way to go. Any opinions ?

Well, metal wear is related to miles driven and in this case we also have the break in period where iron and copper are usually huge. I would love to see labs start reporting wear metals in PPM/mile as that is more relevant that just PPM. 20 PPM of iron in 3000 miles may be of a little concern but 20 ppm of iron in 10,000 miles, fantastic! Of course after the engine has been broken in and that can be anywhere from 20,000 t0 50,000 plus miles

Silicon numbers at 10,000 miles kind of useless due to break in. Remember UOA is trend analysis and need several more samples to really get some concept of how the engine is breaking in and operating

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dustyroads
Very impressive! Does TGMO off the shelf have sodium or titanium in it?

Toyota 0W-20 SN Virgin UOA

Iron 0.7
Nickel 0.0
Chromium 0.1
Titanium 0.2
Copper 0.0
Aluminum 1.5
Tin 0.7
Silicon 5.7
Potassium 0.0
Sodium 1.1
Boron 0.6
Barium 0.0
Calcium 2829
Magnesium 12
Molybdenum 124 Was 800 SM rated
Sodium 1.1
Phosphorus 906
Sulfur 3489
Zinc 910
Visc@40C 37.38
Visc@100C 8.54
VI 216
TBN 6.84

Originally Posted By: ccl088

Copper @ 101 for one..

That's not alarming at all, a lot of engines put out a lot of copper (such as the LS2 in my Corvette) but yet the other wear metals remain low, which shows that the copper in the oil is not abrasive. Just look at the other wear metals in this report, they are incredibly low. So all that copper in the oil is not a cause for concern at all.

I would be impressed with these numbers even for a fully broken in engine, so to see this run with 10k on the factory fill, just blows me away. I see absolutely no reason to call for early oil changes based on this UOA.

Thanks for sharing. I just sent in my 2013 Camry 2.5L TGMO 0W-20 for analysis and expect test results back in about a week. I sure hope mine comes back as nice, especially since my sample is a 3k oil change. I am sending it in because the car has to idle 20 min per day during that last 3k ( brutal cold -12F to -27 F) followed by a 40 mile hwy trip. Curious to see if the oil has thinned due to fuel dilution or if it has burned it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back