Impractical vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to always want to own a Jeep. I know a few people who own them as their primary vehicle. IMHO, they have to be the most impractical vehicle out there. If someone could afford to just own a "fun" vehicle, this might be it. But, a Jeep can not haul many people, let alone do so as comfortably as a sedan.

A Jeep can haul little, if any, cargo. Not near as much as a small 4x4 pickup. An extended cab or crew cab pickup can haul small amounts of cargo and passengers as well.

Perhaps for a single person with no family or kids, a Jeep may make sense. Guessing an AWD/4WD SUV would be better. But for the most part, a Jeep seems to have little "practical" usefulness. Maybe thats the point of a Jeep?

Yeah, I was taken by the Wragnlers when they started selling them again downunder.

Until I drove one, and tried to work out what to do with prams, baby seats, etc. etc.

I thought it was for "go anywhere". Small wheelbase, narrow, 4WD. For that purpose it's pretty practical. It does manage asphalt, and it manages fire roads, and it manages where the road becomes more of a hint.

Some people just have to have a car that looks a certain way.

Just look at how many people since 1998 have bought VW Beetles, even though those beetles have a small trunk and back seats that are awkward to access. You could buy a Jetta at a similar price and not have all that frustration.

The jeep was invented for a particular duty, carrying just a few people, not much cargo except their personal firearms, over rugged terrain, often off-road.

It's still good for that but it's not going to compete with a modern highway vehicle.

I wanted a Wrangler, too, until I test-drove one (circa 1998). Uncomfortable, rode poorly, handled poorly, slow, lousy mileage, low tow rating, no cargo room, no passenger room, and, as they come stock, useless for any real off-roading.

Frankly, I couldn't think of a single positive thing to say about it. Newer ones would have to be better. I hope.

In 2002 I bought a 1999 Wrangler Sahara in order to nullify a potential line of attack from a political opponent. Before I bought it I fully intended to sell it after the election. As it turned out, my wife, son, and I all became quite fond of it and I ended up selling my 1993 Pathfinder SE instead. Over the subsequent 15 years I've added Bilstein HDs, Hella E-Code headlamps, OSRAM Night Breaker Plus bulbs, a Banks Torque Tube exhaust manifold, and MB Quart speakers. We all still love it and I often drive it on longer trips for both work and pleasure. That said, to each his own...

For the way most of us use cars, this Jeep would be as practical as anything else.
They are fun to drive and they do have a unique look.
If you want one, then why not?
If you don't you should maybe buy a Fit.
If you want the best of both worlds, then see your Subaru dealer.
My point is that there are a lot of choices out there.
Pick one that suits you and your use.
Many different choices for many different users for that daily commute.

I chose a Cherokee over a Wrangler simply because I can haul more people and cargo. I can also tow more, and the purchase price was cheaper. I somehow get better mpg than a Wrangler as well, I think it is due to the even worse aerodynamics of the Wrangler.

That said, I know many people who have them and love them. If you've ever driven to the beach on a hot sunny day with no doors or top you will want one.

I know a guy who has one as a daily driver. He pulls a jet-ski trailer with it in the summer, and uses it to plow his driveway in the winter.

I wouldn't own one as a daily driver but I can see why people would.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: MCompact
In 2002 I bought a 1999 Wrangler Sahara in order to nullify a potential line of attack from a political opponent.

You need to elaborate on this...

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: MCompact
In 2002 I bought a 1999 Wrangler Sahara in order to nullify a potential line of attack from a political opponent.

You need to elaborate on this...

I anticipated that my opponent would bring up the fact that I didn't drive an American-made vehicle; the Wrangler stopped that tactic in its tracks.

Wranglers are not very practical at all.. about like an Audi TT, Mazda Miata, VW Bug or any small 2 door. You buy them because they are fun. Even with a new JK, our family of 4 is cramped in there like clowns. Heaven forbid you go to the store and buy things with the expectation of taking it all home.. Made the mistake of getting a shop vac 30 miles from home once.

Doorless/ topless is awesome though.

Originally Posted By: otis24
I used to always want to own a Jeep. I know a few people who own them as their primary vehicle. IMHO, they have to be the most impractical vehicle out there. If someone could afford to just own a "fun" vehicle, this might be it. But, a Jeep can not haul many people, let alone do so as comfortably as a sedan.

A Jeep can haul little, if any, cargo. Not near as much as a small 4x4 pickup. An extended cab or crew cab pickup can haul small amounts of cargo and passengers as well.

Perhaps for a single person with no family or kids, a Jeep may make sense. Guessing an AWD/4WD SUV would be better. But for the most part, a Jeep seems to have little "practical" usefulness. Maybe thats the point of a Jeep?

Well, I can tell you, that by comparing a Jeep to a family sedan, a Jeep is definitely not for you. "It's a Jeep Thing, You wouldn't Understand"! For me, my Wrangler has been the most practical vehicle I have ever owned.

Short wheelbase Jeeps are 1/4 ton tactical trucks and with the backseat removed I have used it as such. In my early days, I have hauled complete small blocks, axles, and even a 16 cube fridge (yeah, sticking straight up).

My Jeep has been up the Mt. Washington Auto road more than a dozen times, with no doors and the windshield folded down. You simply can't get that experience with your family sedan.

I've hauled my family of 4 camping, pulling our trailer of gear, with never an issue.

It is probably the most customized vehicle of all time. Take a look the next time you stop at the intersection. There's probably 4-5 SUV's, just like yours.

Over the years my Jeep has evolved into a serious off roader, with a granny transmission, full size truck axles, and big tires (I kept the 2.5L four). I use it to drag firewood on my property (it will drag a tree) and I've used it on town projects building hiking trails and doing cleanups. I remember one time the Kubota tractor was stuck pulling a large trailer of Junk tires out of the woods. Not only did I pull the tractor out, I went back and retrieved the trailer too.

It comes down to perspective. I can't imagine doing all the things I have done with my Jeep with anything else. For myself and my family, owning a Jeep is a lifestyle.

Maybe you should specify, my daughters Jeep Compass seats 4 comfortably and is a nice vehicle for a young couple. Rides decently too.

As stated, I always thought I would love to own a jeep. Particularly, an old Willys. The impractibility of the Jeep lies in the fact that it is perhaps not as versatile as other vehicles. It is a great vehicle for what it is, but many small SUVs and compact 4x4 pickups can fulfill most functions of the Jeep and still be capable haulers for both people and cargo. For many, a Jeep, while nice would be a fun, or niche vehicle.

The impractibility of the Jeep lies in the fact that it is perhaps not as versatile as other vehicles.

This couldn't be further from the truth. I just picked up a PTO to power a hydraulic pump. Can't do that with a CRV.

It is a great vehicle for what it is, but many small SUVs and compact 4x4 pickups can fulfill most functions of the Jeep and still be capable haulers for both people and cargo. For many, a Jeep, while nice would be a fun, or niche vehicle.

There aren't too many vehicles that can do what a Jeep can. Certainly not a small "SUV".
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: johnachak

Maybe you should specify, my daughters Jeep Compass seats 4 comfortably and is a nice vehicle for a young couple. Rides decently too.
a compass aint a real jeep!

As far as suv's vs a jeep. A suv wont go any of the places i can take my stock jeep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back