2012 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

Status
Not open for further replies.
First sample I have ever had done. Thought I would share. This is the second oil change for the truck. Oil used is Valvoline Premium Blue 15W/40

oilreport.jpg

I usually wait until an OCI that starts after 20K to do a UOA. Before then it could be anything.

I prefer UOAs that provide oxidation and nitration.

Thanks for sharing.

There is nothing but break-in wear here; this is not data that can be used to establish any range or trend.

On the positive side, contaminants look well in control.

I would OCI at 10k miles and again at 15k miles. The goal would be to flush out the break-in metals. Don't even both with a UOA for these next few OCIs; waste of money.

Stick with the VPB; excellent product and reduces variables for future UOA trending.

At 15k miles, start doing 7.5k mile OCIs, and then start your UOA data tracking.

I'm a journeyman diesel mechanic at UPS. The yard shifter trucks use a de-tuned version of the 5.9 or 6.7 Cummings depending on the year. Those engines can last seemingly forever. Keep in mind if you ever have a fuel system issue, don't drive it and get it fixed. Cylinder wash down is the only thing that has ruined these engines in our industrial application.

That's great to hear. My main concern with the 6.7 cummins was possible fuel dillution. From the regen process. But I think with my driving routine it's not going to be an issue (knock on wood).

Thanks for sharing your reports!

I've never tested any of my diesels that low in mileage so I don't know if that aluminum number is normal at that stage or not (referring to the latest report). It looks like the engine is coming along nicely, though.

I don't blame you for saving money with delo 400. It'll do very well for you.

Yeah that's the plan. Trying to get off the synthetic kick. It was real popular when I first started buying vehicles. Got drawed into it and just now trying to not waste money.
hooked.gif

Here is a short run of the delo. Went ahead and changed early. Recently made some modifications on the truck. So I wanted to drain this and see how the next one looks. Also put a fumoto valve on this time so maybe my sample taking will be a cleaner experience
smile.gif

xm9t.jpg

I'm a bit worried about that aluminum number. It's not coming down as the engine is breaking in, although 21k is nowhere near "broke in". I've never watched a diesel breaking in as you are showing, so maybe there's nothing wrong.

With the increased aluminum in this last short interval it just seems that something is wrong, but I have a lot to learn.

I know it's only 3,000 miles but I think it's looking good. The aluminum was concerning in your previous reports but I'm thinking it's going to be just fine from here on out.

This is just plain ol' premium blue? Looks like your Cummins may really like it. Cummins and Valvoline do collaberate so I guess it makes sense.

Any idea how many miles for the universal averages?

Originally Posted By: dustyroads
I know it's only 3,000 miles but I think it's looking good. The aluminum was concerning in your previous reports but I'm thinking it's going to be just fine from here on out.

This is just plain ol' premium blue? Looks like your Cummins may really like it. Cummins and Valvoline do collaberate so I guess it makes sense.

Any idea how many miles for the universal averages?

They said universal is 6,300 miles.

Let me guess; the oil samples at 12450 and 18069 miles were on Delo, and the rest were on VPB?

With every oil change, the iron has been trending down in terms of ppm per 1000 miles. I think your engine is still in the process of breaking in.

It's interesting to see Titanium in VPB.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Let me guess; the oil samples at 12450 and 18069 miles were on Delo, and the rest were on VPB?

With every oil change, the iron has been trending down in terms of ppm per 1000 miles. I think your engine is still in the process of breaking in.

It's interesting to see Titanium in VPB.

Those oci were vpb 5w/40. I guess they only add the titanium to the 15w/40. Both the uoa with it had the titanium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back