GM 1.4 Ecotec Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dave1251
It looks like the owner felt that engine oil was a lifetime fill.

Amazingly, that was after only 13,000 miles.

I predict with all these EcoBoost....EcoTec...engines,there will be lots of turbo related failures coming up.You can only push an engine so hard to produce power before something gives.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I predict with all these EcoBoost....EcoTec...engines,there will be lots of turbo related failures coming up.You can only push an engine so hard to produce power before something gives.

+1 naturally aspirated all the way !

People close their eyes and "pretend" not to know anything all the time.

I heard a lady's engine clicking away in a parking lot upstate and offered to check her oil.

The dipstick was rusted in its tube solidly. The stick crumbled at the top and the handle broke away with no resistance at all.

Too bad. Kira

I have my doubts about such widespread disaster.
Look at how long Volvo has been making turbocharged gasoline engines, and succeeding at it.
A turbocharged gasoline engine is fine when properly designed and maintained.

This picture makes me think of one of my dad's friends. His friend really believed his Toyota Avalon was meant for 7,500 mile oil changes because his manual said so. The engine was destroyed by sludge and replaced under warranty. The dealer mechanic then said that the numbers listed in the manual should be completely different.

In this guy's case, the OLM should have been completely different.

Originally Posted By: GutsyGecko
I don't get it. I thought the olm on the cruze could push 10k on a dexos blend? How did that much happen in 13k!?

Must have been some really cheap oil.

They should've used Mobil 1 EP,they would've had 2k more miles left *shame on you,owner of that car!!* :p

EcoBoost = ford turbo
Ecotec = GM Engine design, it does NOT mean forced induction.

I wonder what really caused this issue. Surely even house-brand conventional oil wouldn't get this bad in 13,000 on a brand-new engine.

Originally Posted By: wolf_06
wonder what the OLM was saying...

You beat me to it! Hard to believe that was 13K miles, even on the factory fill. There has to a lot more to the story.

Something doesn't seem right with the milege and sludge level. Very poor qulity oil, severe overheating for a long period of time or mileage missrepresented.
Many engines run their normal life with turbo chargers. Volvo, Saab and now Subaru are examples of tubo engines getting 150,000 + miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back