Pity that Pennzoil renamed Ultra to Ultra Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.
We used to have a few jokes about the abbreviations for Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra. It was very unfortunate (or fortunate if you like toilet humor), that they became known as PP and PU.

Now that they've introduced PurePlus, it gets interesting because we will need to distinguish between old and new PP and PU.

The new PP will be known as "PP with PP".

But wouldn't it have been great if we could have called the new Ultra "PU with PP"?

We could have had conversations like "Do you mean old PU or new PU with PP?"

Darn it Pennzoil!

We shall name it PuP
grin.gif

There is no better name than Mobil 1. It's so simple and easy to remember, it is so good such that they have the same name for over 30 years.

There are 3 classes: M1, M1 HM and M1 EP. The M1 Advanced Fuel Economy 0W20 and 0W30 are just a normal M1 with a marketing term.

IMHO, they should have named it Pennzoil Titanium to indicate a progression from Pennzoil Platinum (as with credit cards); give the consumer an easy way to tell that Ultra is better (or at a higher level) than Platinum.

Ultra Platinum sounds stupid and I predict it will be epic fail from a marketing standpoint just as Ultra was (not saying it is not good oil--just that the marketing is lame).

Seems they are launching it on their facebook page..people are asking questions and they are answering them via facebook.

Marketing..gotta love it

Originally Posted By: TrevorS
We used to have a few jokes about the abbreviations for Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra. It was very unfortunate (or fortunate if you like toilet humor), that they became known as PP and PU.

Now that they've introduced PurePlus, it gets interesting because we will need to distinguish between old and new PP and PU.

The new PP will be known as "PP with PP".

But wouldn't it have been great if we could have called the new Ultra "PU with PP"?

We could have had conversations like "Do you mean old PU or new PU with PP?"

Darn it Pennzoil!

It'll be known as PPPP or P4, and PUP, PUPPP, or PU3?

Quote:

There is no better name than Mobil 1. It's so simple and easy to remember, it is so good such that they have the same name for over 30 years.

Why do a great percentage of people keep typing Mobile 1? Seems like a similar branding snafu.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Sounds like a bad marketing ploy from Pennzoil.

Anyone remember Crystal Pepsi or New Coke?

Regards, JC.

I remember Pepsi Kona. Coffee flavored Pepsi..............

Hello, FROM ABOVE POST, "Marketing..gotta love it"

Want to be disturbed? Advertising (marketing) is the biggest business in America.

Why produce anything when you can just promote something?

I know there's more to it than that. Kira

Originally Posted By: Trajan
Originally Posted By: JC1
Sounds like a bad marketing ploy from Pennzoil.

Anyone remember Crystal Pepsi or New Coke?

Regards, JC.

I remember Pepsi Kona. Coffee flavored Pepsi..............

And I remember Coca Cola Blak, same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back