Pure Gas vs. 10% E

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: hatt
I'm starting a campaign to have orange juice sales mandated to every American. You with me?

It worked with milk...well nearly like that.

Indeed. The dairy lobby is very powerful.

Her's a nice quick synopsis of some of the pork in the Farm Bill. No, it's not ALL food stamps. But it is more borrowed money...

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/scott-whitl...e-spending-far?

The Central Planners always know what's best for you!

You are right, there is nonsense in the farm bill. But the topic here has been regarding farmers and farm subsidies and supposed subsidies to the ethanol industry. None of that type of thing was even mentioned by the guy from Citizens Against Government Waste. We can always find things that get put into bills that is stupid, like how the last Highway Bill had a grant for building a Tea Pot Museum in South Carolina.

And the amounts they mentioned... 100m here, 200m there is but a drop in the bucket. The entire Farm Bill is a 1 trillion dollar deal. And the lion's share goes to the food stamp program. And in the entire article and presentation in the video, not one thing was mentioned about typical farmers or food stamps. Just a 15 cent surcharge on Christmas trees, Indian reality TV shows, Catfish inspection, and sugar price supports. Not a single mention about corn, soybeans, ethanol. How could that be? After all, everyone knows that farmer's and ethanol producers are just raking it in getting all those tax dollars from the government! Still waiting for one of those subsidy checks that everyone thinks us farmers are getting.

Oh, and "pork" in the farm bill (I do know what is meant by that), there was not one mention of any subsidy going to the pork growers either. Imagine, a bill full of pork not having anything to do with pork.

And I just learned I was spouting inaccurate information! I have been stating the Farm Bill was 75% food stamps. I have been corrected by a breakdown analysis on one of the business shows. It is actually 80%. My bad.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
The EPA is behind the mandates, that is true, and I am against just about everything the EPA does, and there are no subsidies any more. Haven't been for over two years now, and that was at the request of the ethanol producers. Well, the name calling was accurate. If someone thinks that a chunk of crop land is just corn, corn, corn, corn year after year after year, then they are a nincompoop. No farming operation does that. They rotate crops as I mentioned. And from what I have read from some, it is quite clear they probably have never even set foot on a farm, let alone have any basic idea of what goes on with one. In the words of John Wayne in the movie "Mclintock"...... "they think that cows are something you milk, and Indians are something in front of a cigar store". Pretty much sums it up.

I know how useless it is to present you with facts and research from previous run ins with you. But here goes anyway for everyone else to look at. You just continue on with your ethanol shilling.

Quote:
Many Midwest growers are considering more corn in their cropping mix, but that usually means
growing corn after corn, a situation that adds production costs, can increase risk, and most would
say compromises yield potential. But many with experience raising corn on corn see no
additional risk and a situation where they can raise some of their best yields. They have found
ways to make the continuous cropping system work
, managing crop residues with fall nitrogen
and tillage, maintaining high P and K levels in the soil, adequate amounts of applied nitrogen, and
high plant populations.

Purdue University

whistle.gif

Umm... yea... just because one article says they've found ways to do it doesn't mean that's what's actually happening. There are some fields are on continuous corn on corn but most fields and farmers don't do that for extended crop cycles. Most of the time it is a corn-soybean rotation, with a few fields of corn on corn which are then converted back to soybeans after a year or two. It all comes down to economics... if the profit margin on corn is higher, more corn will be planted but most farmers stay diversified with soybeans and corn, just not all one or the other. The yield from corn on corn starts to go down after a few years due to the nutrient demand and drain and then its either plant soybeans to put some of those back or pump a lot of fertilizer into the ground, a lot of people here go the soybean route. Continuous corn on corn is very hard on the soil, that's why a lot of farmers still do their crop rotations. You can ruin soil pretty quickly if a person does not take care of it. You see a lot of corn on corn on rented ground, people who do not care about the land in the end. Without good land there are not crops....That's the problem.

The argument doesn't stand up to reason. A farmer is going to have to pay, depending on soil quality and other variables, from $5000 an acre to $11,000 per acre or more for farm ground. What incentive is there to plant corn, corn, corn and destroy the soil structure as opposed to sensible crop rotation? And also, regarding soil erosion, what incentive is there to just plow up ground in an irresponsible manner and have all that top soil just end up in the Mississippi river? You must think that farmers view the land like the gold rush pioneers in Callfornia and Alaska did when they used hydraulic dredging and other land destroying techniques and laid the area an environmental mess. Farmers are generally very good stewards of the land. They know what and how things need to be done. They have a strong, vested interest in seeing that the land remain intact, fertile, and productive for not only the years they use it, but so they can pass that land down, in good shape, to the next generation.

And, as I have stated, corn prices are the same as they were in the Bush administration. Yet, fuel, fertilizer, herbicides, even seed corn, have all inflated in price. So there is no profit incentive to rape the land by planting endlessly in corn, or any other grain crop for that matter. Soybeans are doing a little better than corn, but not enough to justify year over year planting of them. And you have to also consider, that when you do year over year planting of the same type of crop, the successive years do not have the same yield potential as the year previous. That is because different crops have differing effects on the soil. Soybeans and alfalfa replenish nitrogen in the soil. Corn needs a substantial amount of nitrogen to have good yields. Corn has a rather shallow root structure. Alfalfa roots go substantially deeper and help nuture the soil and allow water to penetrate deeper.

See, a lot gets missed by those that have no actual experience with this. You think I am spouting some thing I happened to read in a Farm Bureau publication. I have lived on the same farm I am on now, since I was in Junior High school. I am now within striking distance of filling for SSI. The land that makes up this farm is in better shape, better managed, more ecologically sound, than when I was a child. We still drink good water from the well that is sourced form the ground on which we farm. We learn new techniques, and we apply them. We understand the crops we raise and how they interact with each other. Just as there is a delicate balance to nature, there is a harmony to farming.

LOL. Don't know how this turned into a crop rotation thread. The FACTS are that some people grow corn on corn. Whether or not you can accept the facts is irrelevant. Whether or not it's a good practice is irrelevant.

Quote:
If someone thinks that a chunk of crop land is just corn, corn, corn, corn year after year after year, then they are a nincompoop. No farming operation does that.

TiredTrucker, you should have issued me an apology.

LOL. Don't know how this turned into a crop rotation thread.

It's because discussions with TireTrucker end up with you trying to heard cats...

TiredTrucker, Didn't you know improper crop rotation does more damage to the environment than dumping 500 million gallons of crude into the Gulf?

Get with it man.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
TiredTrucker, Didn't you know improper crop rotation does more damage to the environment than dumping 500 million gallons of crude into the Gulf?

How does THAT become an either/or ?

Oh, it doesn't but it adds to your argument somehow...not the logic part, but the argument.

(wonder how many strawmen it takes to ensure national security)

It would seem at least remotely possible that much more raw crude than mentioned has been dumped over the many years of the Earth's existence by vents and holes in the sea bottom.

Somehow we survived.

Strawmen abound here, logic not necessary in a "save the Earth" mindset...

Get with it man.

Since you are an expert, then as a farmer, lay it out what is improper crop rotation. Never heard the term before, but always willing to learn. With the types of ag crops generally planted in my area of the country, Iowa, please outline a PROPER crop rotation plan so that we all can learn from it. Give us an outlay of the not only the crops that one would rotate properly, but also in what order they would be rotated properly. How would the your rotation plan increase the complimentary interaction of the various crops? How would your rotation plan decrease the impact on the soil conditions? Since you seem to think I need to "get with it", I need to find out what we have been doing wrong on the farm. I mean, our yields are easily double what they were on the same ground from 30 years ago, while the ground is more ecologically stable than when I was a child, as we are using no till farming techniques, soil analysis with computer controlled application rates for fertilizer which has greatly reduced the amount needed, targeted applications of herbicides to greatly reduce the amount there as well compared to years past. And no irrigation is used, and never has been. I am trying to figure out what we are doing so wrong according to you.

Man it was nice being up in TN and able to buy pure gas for reasonable prices. While filling up I saw a lobbyist cry.

Man it was nice being up in TN and able to buy pure gas for reasonable prices. While filling up I saw a lobbyist cry.

How far into the backwater did you have to go to find "pure gas"? Pick me up some boiled peanuts and cracklins.

How far into the backwater did you have to go to find "pure gas"? Pick me up some boiled peanuts and cracklins.

Excuse me, what did you say? I couldn't hear you under that thick blanket of snow...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back