Which Wheel Color?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys and gals,
Here is my new "beater"
laugh.gif

silvy.jpg

2002 Silverado 2WD with 90,000 miles. Purchased from a family that had the father pass away suddenly. Needless to say, he too really good care of it mechanically, but used some harsh cleaners on the wheels/tires.

I plan on swapping out the current tires with the ones on my Xterra (Toyo Open Country HTs) as they are in better shape, and I am selling the Xterra. I also want to refinish the wheels, but can't decide on silver or graphite.

I do plan on leveling the front, removing the side trim, and turning the white letters inside if that changes anyones decision.

So, which color would YOU choose?

Thanks!
laugh.gif

I always got some takeoff Z-71 wheels off ebay. Depends how much you want to spend. You could also get them PVD chrome plated. OR call local tire shops, scrap yards and dealers and see if you can find some take off wheels cheap. A new set will cost you about $600 shipped on ebay.

Last edited:
ant see them closer enough. Are they machined (circular lines under the clear coat)? If so, id just reclear. Didn't take much for the clear to go bad on these, the wheels on my 98 are showing degradation there...

I like them as-is, so Id just go for a re-clear. Always liked that style of wheel.

Considered PlastiDip, but want something more permanent.

Will be keeping these wheels. Plan on stripping the clear, if they look good enough I will reclear. If not I will be refinishing with either Duplicolor silver or graphite.

Originally Posted By: SF0059
Have them powder coated silver. The finish will be tough as nails. Not a big fan of graphite, always looks like brake dust to me.

isn't that the point
wink.gif
???

Ive got the same body and color pretty much (03 GMC Sierra) and I'm going to try graphite or satin black as well for my wheel color. Paint not Plasti-Dip as paint lasts longer.

Sand / Primer / Paint

Not interested in Powdercoat. After dismounting, sandblasting, and powdercoat we would be looking at $80-90 a wheel.

I can take my time rotating the spare and keeping a wheel off, and prepping the wheels correctly to get a great finish for $50 or less all in.

Just got to decide on color.

I'd do the Plasti dip in Silver for the Silverado. Spray a few coats if concerned with durability. Which I haven't read many or any complaints on. Super easy.

I would go with graphite for more contrast with the white paint. Go to Tire Rack's website and you can quickly view different colored wheels on your white truck. Maybe that will help you decide?

Last edited:
I think the dark color makes it look like a 16 year old just got his first vehicle and wanted to personalize it. I'd spend the bulk of my time on the truck by detailing the exterior. That will take some time with that much real estate.

Originally Posted By: Landrew
Ive got the same body and color pretty much (03 GMC Sierra) and I'm going to try graphite or satin black as well for my wheel color. Paint not Plasti-Dip as paint lasts longer.

Sand / Primer / Paint

Will you keep me updated when/if you do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back