Motorcraft FL-1A cut open (w/pix)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed the FL-1A at Walmart the other day ($2.77 USD) thinking that it could be a good, cheap, oversize replacement for the FL-400S. I forgot that good and cheap never hang out together. Inside, the FL-1A looks much like the description given by Russ W. Knize on his oil filter page:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html#motorcraft

with the exception that the bypass valve has been moved to the base-side of the filter. The bumps stamped into the base-side of the filter look like they are there to keep the ADBV from blocking flow to the bypass valve. All of the metal in this filter is very thin. The reddish dust on the top of the filter cartridge is from the cut-off wheel of the Dremel tool that I used to cut the filter open with. The case is thin enough to dent with your extended index finger
shocked.gif
and the base is a thin stamped sheet reinforced with a thicker stamped sheet instead of using a single heavier piece. The spring (partially visible behind the filter cartrige) that holds the cartrige to the base is made of stamped steel. This filter also has Purolator's trademark assembly string. Once again, you get what you pay for.
thumbsdown.gif

-

So? A heck of a lot of people use that filter because its inexpensive and has the Pure 1 filter element. Ive never dented an oil filter, besides during removal. If you dont like it, dont use it. Ill take 3 motorcrafts anyday over any $9 filter.

Other than the thin case, what's the real problem with this filter? I have used FL-1A's for a couple years and have been very happy with them. I have a dual full flow set-up with the 3/4-16 threads so I can take my choice....I choose a $2.77 filter!!

Last run was 10000 miles. No dents, explosions or implosions and the UOA speaks for itself.

A full flow oil filter is a safety device not a micro filtration device....something snaps in the engine, hope oil filter catches chunks...

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Other than the thin case, what's the real problem with this filter?

I agree that due to its low price and good flow and filtration (as tested and reported elsewhere) it provides a lot of bang for the buck. However, I don't like that this filter is engineered to be so inexpensive to manufacture. The internal components are more flimsy than those found in many higher-priced filters.

Sounds like these things must be blowing open by the hundreds of thousands. I'll be on the watch for all the telltale oil slicks on the highways from now on. I'll sell my Ford stock, too, since it must be about to take a header what with all the imminent warranty claims because FL-1s are installed as OE on many Ford engines. Thanks for the heads up! By the way, you received your degree in mechanical engineering from where? Sorry about the sarcasm.

(.................................No, I'm not.
smile.gif
)

[ August 02, 2004, 06:35 AM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

If you think this is a poor quality filter, then your just learning about filter construction. Cut apart a few more filters and you'll probably feel differently. Cut open a Fram and you'll probably run screaming into the next county.
lol.gif

I think the Purolator was the best quality filter I've cut apart.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by FL-400S:
has the Pure 1 filter element.

Has anyone ever confirmed this to be true?

The Grease Oil Filter Study indicates that the media used by Motocraft is most certainly NOT the Pure One media.

Has anyone ever confirmed this to be true?

The Grease Oil Filter Study indicates that the media used by Motocraft is most certainly NOT the Pure One media

Motorcraft Long Lasting FL-1A

This is an interesting filter. Basically, it appeared to be a Purolator Pure One filter cartridge in a Purolator Premium Plus case. Don't be fooled by the differently shaped holes cut into the oil inlet. This is the only difference. I have, however, seen that the Motorcraft line tends to change manufacturers. For a while they seemed to be Champion Labs filters, then they went back to Purolators. I also received some information from a Ford technician that the filters that come on the vehicles from the factory are not the same as those that are available to the dealerships.

Like the Purolator Pure One, this filter cartridge features a very large element surface area (400 sqin), but with many pleats (64). This packs the filter together rather tightly and could possibly restrict flow somewhat. I believe could identify the Pure One element media by a purple dye they use at the seam and by the texture. It also has the mysterious assembly string wrapped around the outside of the element. Like the Purolators, it features a spring-loaded metal bypass valve and a nitrile rubber diaphram-type anti-drainback valve. The bypass valve is stamped right into the bottom end cap of the cartridge, so it is all one piece.

I'll trust the actually flow and pore size test over the visual comparison.

-T

quote:

I emailed Purolator and asked, and they confirmed to me that PureOne and Motorcraft media are NOT the same.

The text of the engineer's response is in this thread. (Apologies for the ghastly formatting in my first post there.)

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
By the way, you received your degree in mechanical engineering from where?

I didn't say they were poorly engineered. I said that they are engineered (at great expense, no doubt) to be inexpensive to manufacture. I have purchased several Ford vehicles for my family and will purchase more of them in the future. I trust that Ford wouldn't spec the FL-1A if they thought that it wouldn't do the job.

quote:

Originally posted by Gerret:

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
By the way, you received your degree in mechanical engineering from where?

I didn't say they were poorly engineered. I said that they are engineered (at great expense, no doubt) to be inexpensive to manufacture. I have purchased several Ford vehicles for my family and will purchase more of them in the future. I trust that Ford wouldn't spec the FL-1A if they thought that it wouldn't do the job.

How is this different from any other filter? Purolators materials and engineering are quite similar to all commonly available filters, excluding Frams.

-T

If you like your filters sturdily constructed and carefully made, check out Baldwin, Mann and some of the Japanese filters.

Your are not going to find top-of-the-line construction quality in ANY product sold at WalMart ... WalMart is all about "Good-Enough" quality at cheap prices.

John

quote:

Originally posted by brad_d:

quote:

I emailed Purolator and asked, and they confirmed to me that PureOne and Motorcraft media are NOT the same.

Probably true, but if they told you it was the same, would you still pay $5 for the Pure 1 over the motorcraft for $3? I mean its really just a thick coffee filter folded up in there
smile.gif

Darryl

Not sure who you are refering to, but I don't see anyone pushing the Ford filter without a good reason? If anything saying you can tell who the anit-Ford(or US?) guys are.

-T

P.S. I'm not a Ford guy.
wink.gif

There goes jthorner again on his relentless bashing of Wal-Mart. I have been on this site for a long time and no one even comes close to as many Wal-Mart slams as ole' jthorner. Thanks for watching out for us--we wouldn't know what to do without you man.
bowdown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back