dry gas to combat phase separation w/ e10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't dry gas be used to deal with phase separation when using gas with dreaded ethanol? Yet on the other hand I read here that dry gas is superfluous because ethanol does the same thing as dry gas. So how can dry gas (an alcohol) work in real gas, but e10 (an alcohol) is problematic from the start? BTW, I don't buy into the conspiracy-hysteria that ethanol is bad...I did have a lawnmower carb gum up, but this was in the pre-ethanol days.

ethanol combines with water and burns. Your're getting 10% gas drier every time you fill up.

Oh, It's also an octane booster and fuel system cleaner.

Haven't you guys in Maine had ethanol for a long time? Why worry at this point?

I have used or have had family that have used mostly ethanol. I have had one fuel pump failure in the last 17 years. That is the only fuel system problem I have experienced.

I would not worry about this but others will disagree and that is their right.

Why would adding more alcohol combat any problems related to alcohol in fuel?
We've had E10 here for many years and I've yet to have a problem with it in any application, including many built before E10 existed.
I wouldn't worry about using E10 fuel.

Not worried (I say so in the OP), just looking at why there is a disconnect about why alcohol works in one case but not the other.

With E10 you are at a gallon or more of pure alcohol in your tank. More alcohol (dri-gas) will not help.

If you get phase separation in a car or truck, and its driven even somewhat regularly then there is something major wrong.

It mostly happens in boats, and while I have read about it and viewed videos, I do not know of anyone who has had the issue.

Once phase separation happens the tank must be emptied and refilled. Nothing can fix it.

Dry gas works because you dump it in and it mixes from the sloshing of its own dumping in. Leave it long enough and it could settle out.

The dreaded phase separation happens if you leave fuel alone for a while.

Originally Posted By: Rand
he probably doesnt know ethanol is dry gas

I believe most dry gas is methanol (wood alcohol) which is poisonous (minor side note); it, however, accomplishes the same thing.

Last edited:
The only situations this is in the realm of reality is when ethanol has been introduced to a vehicle that has been operated for a LONG time without any ethanol. Water could have built up in the tank due to condensation. A fuel system that has had a regular diet of E10 is not going to experience any water issues and phase separation, as it handles any water that condenses before it becomes a large enough volume to be trouble.

Even the boating rags have articles the dispel all of the myths regarding this. It just plain isn't the issue that some would try to have others believe. It can occur, but you can also catch malaria, but the odds are against it.

Moral of the story.... don't empty your drinking water bottle into your fuel tank, don't leave the fuel cap off in a rain storm, and don't drive thru a river or lake. You stick to that and you should be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back