Techron Concentrate Plus or Amsoil P.i?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My girlfriend just buyed a brand new 2013 Hyundai Elantra.
In her owner manual, they recommend adding Hyundai fuel additive every 12,000km, which is rebranded Techron Concentrate Plus.

I'm using Amsoil product and I was wondering if I was better using Amsoil P.i which I can get for less then 10$ instead of 13$ for Hyundai fuel additive at my local dealer.

BTW, Don't tell me that I don't have or need to use fuel additive. I'm going to follow the owner manual.

Hyundai fuel additive: http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/2027/10fl014.jpg
Techron Concentrate Plus: http://www.techron.com/techron-concentrate-plus/Default.aspx
Amsoil P.i: http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/fu.../?code=APICN-EA

The Techron and Amsoil are both among the best, add Redline SI-1 and Gumout all in one cleaner to that list, all perform about the same.

Originally Posted By: lubedude13
I use amsoil pi in my vehicles. Both are a great product.

Is there truly any benefit? I have read multiple threads without any actual data backing it up.

To OP, you are in Canada so I can't really say anything other then follow your owner's manual.

Your best bet being in Canada is to wait for a sale at Canadian Tire on Gumout products.

They ALL work well.

For mild cleaning to restore fuel economy I like their Fuel Injector Cleaner.

A few weeks before an oil change I like Gumout Regane High Mileage.

The Regane is 15$ but can be had regularly half price CT.

When there is a big Gumout sale I usually buy 2 Regane High Mileage, 4 Injector Cleaners.

Every time my fuel economy starts to drop I use the Fuel Injector cleaner, works for me.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Is there truly any benefit? I have read multiple threads without any actual data backing it up.

Some years ago my '94 LS400 barely passed the smog test that we need every other year. Two years later I used a full bottle Redline SI1 one tank before smog test, this time it passed with flying color. Nothing else was changed at that time, the only change was Redline SI1.

I don't know if fuel system cleaner works or not, but I use it in all my cars every other year before smog test.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Some years ago my '94 LS400 barely passed the smog test that we need every other year. Two years later I used a full bottle Redline SI1 one tank before smog test, this time it passed with flying color. Nothing else was changed at that time, the only change was Redline SI1.

I don't know if fuel system cleaner works or not, but I use it in all my cars every other year before smog test.

It shouldn't make a difference unless you've got a dirty fuel system. Regular use of a high detergent gasoline should mean avoiding issues like the one you describe.

I'll toss in something if I'm filling up from a place where I'm not sure about the amount of detergents - like Valero or a Costco station without the Clean Power signs. Usually it's SI-1, although I bought some Chevron Pro-Gard on special once. Sometimes it's after the fact. I figure if it there are some deposits that form because of a lower amount of detergents, an incremental amount should help to remove them.

There's also a particular Costco I go to with the Clean Power signs. It's the cheapest I've seen for miles - even cheaper than the other Costco locations. I remember talking about gas at a Costco location, and the cashier said the location I went to was the absolute cheapest. It's at good 30 cents/gallon less than the cheaper brand name station cash prices.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

If it was that bad, then you might want to get the Walmart treatment for $20.

My car passed the smog test with flying colors when it was heavily carboned up. The computer may have compensated as the battery had been disconnected a few times in the year before the test.

After the test I used Techron and Gumout about 4 times in 2 years and performance improved dramatically. Next smog test was actually a bit worse but still very good.

But I went to Walmart for the $20 service because I could still hear some noise from the cylinders which I imagined were very hard to remove deposits. The noise went away and performance also improved.

So my thinking for your case is that if PEA cleaned up enough to turn a smog test upside down, the Walmart treatment might do some further cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back