Problems with clear bra removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, this not about a date, undressing, etc.

I put clear film 3.5 years ago. While the film on metal hood holds up OK, the plastic bumper part yellowed in sun:

DSCN2768_zpsd8bcc167.jpg

I tried to remove the film from plastic bumper and while 80% came off, the yellowed part on more horizontal surface is hard and brittle and stays on. I tried sharp plastic edge with no results.

DSCN2772_zps7a0e9021.jpg

DSCN2771_zps57938383.jpg

The good news is I removed the sticky goo residue with paint thinner easily.

How do you go about the stuck hard plastic? Is rubber eraser tool OK on plastic bumper?

41VYAagtH-L._SY300_.jpg

Have you tried soaking overnight in goo gone? I have also had luck with generous wd40 soaking and heat from a hairdryer.

What about bug remover? I think that would be less harsh on the paint vs alcohol or goo gone, that should never be on the paint. If you choose to put this stuff on again I wouldnt let it stay on as long as this time, that cant be good for the paint.

A heat gun on low and keep it moving as not to damage the paint but get the film hot lift an edge and it should remove easy enough.

I've always had good luck simply lifting a corner and then as the corner lifts applying some mineral spirits or WD-40 to the edge between the film and paint.

The stuff should peel slowly off. On a plastic bumper I'd avoid the heat gun. Mineral spirits and WD-40 would be more gentle on paint than goo gone and heat.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
A heat gun on low and keep it moving as not to damage the paint but get the film hot lift an edge and it should remove easy enough.

this is your best bet. if need be soak it with some solution first to soften up a little if it is coming up in small parts using the heat gun

Thank you all for responding. If heat helps indeed, I may need to wait for a warmer day to finish it. To clarify, I don't have problems with removing the adhesive, paint thinner and sponge+towel took care of that sticky mess. The problem is, the most damaged, yellow film is NOT pealable from the bumper and needs to be somehow scraped.

Originally Posted By: matrass
Originally Posted By: Trav

this is your best bet. if need be soak it with some solution first to soften up a little if it is coming up in small parts using the heat gun

Consider a hair drier first, then step up to a heat gun if necessary.

Steamer and 3M Adhesive remover.

Just remember that all of this scraping is going to leave nasty marks in the paint if you check the surface with a sun-gun. Plan on compounding and polishing any area you touched.

A follow up. I used the first spring weekend and warmer weather to tackle the job. The better preserved parts of film (non-yellowed) came off easy with hear dryer at medium. The yellow and brittle parts took high heat and lots of scraping. Those pieces also lifted some paint from plastic bumper and discolored it too. There had to be some reaction between the film and the plastic paint.
It's ironic that protector ended up doing more harm than protecting.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Those pieces also lifted some paint from plastic bumper and discolored it too. There had to be some reaction between the film and the plastic paint.
It's ironic that protector ended up doing more harm than protecting.

Quality PPF will not do this after such a short period of time. This is why one should avoid the ebay PPFs.

Update to anyone thinking of getting this....buyer beware....you'll eventually have to remove it. That's ALL I did this weekend. PITA. You have to scrape the plastic off first, then you have to scrape the glue off THEN you have to get the residue off. I tried everything that you tube had to offer on removing the adhesive. NOTHING, I MEAN NOTHING worked. I had to use gasoline. That was nasty. I'll never use clear bra again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back