Supertech oil filter number for 05 Corolla?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know what's the Supertech oil filter number for the current generation Corolla?

Was at Wally World today and didn't see a reference booklet, and you know about the help at Wally World.

Wow! "Help" at Wally*World? Golly, when did they initiate that policy? STs use the Fram oil filter numbering system. Fram lists "4967" on their website for 2003-2004 Corollas with the 1.8L I4 1ZZ-FE motor.

Careful with Fram at Wally World. Do to some time constraints, I had them perform an oil & filter change for my new Kia with 3.5 V6. They put a Fram 6607 on it. They said their Fram manual indicated that was the size filter for this engine. Nope, it takes a larger size (3593A, L14459. SDF20?, etc.).

quote:

Originally posted by jbas:
Careful with Fram at Wally World. Do to some time constraints, I had them perform an oil & filter change for my new Kia with 3.5 V6. They put a Fram 6607 on it. They said their Fram manual indicated that was the size filter for this engine. Nope, it takes a larger size (3593A, L14459. SDF20?, etc.).

they were probably trying to get rid of those 6607 filters especially the frams. no one doesn't buy those.

jbas, I wasn't suggesting that 05corollaLE use a Fram filter - just that the ST filter would be the same four digit number as the "equivalent" Fram. I agree with you about the thimble-sized 6607, though. I wouldn't put one of those on my grandson's tricycle. Honda has gone to that filter size, and apparantly some brainiac in charge of "the book" confused "Hyundai" with "Honda" and decreed the same puny filter for Hyundais. If you want a BIG oversize oil filter for your KIA's Hyundai 3.5L V6, try the WIX 51626 or NAPA 1626 "Silver" (21626 "Gold"). I'm using those on my Hyundai 2.7L V6 - works great and now an oil change is a full five quarts. The only issue may be clearance around nearby parts on your engine. On the 2.7L V6 there's PLENTY of room, but it's an entirely different engine family. The Purolator equivalent is the 14619. The Fram equivalent is the 3985, but I don't recall ever seeing a ST in that designation - probably insufficient demand. According to the WIX website, the 51626 has the same bypass pressure as their "factory" sized 51334.

Fram lists the Filter for a 3.5L hyundai as a PH6607. Can't blame Wal-mart for using the correct filter. Why should Wal-mart use a larger filter when it only opens up the door for more claims?

-T

quote:

Originally posted by T. Keith:
Fram lists the Filter for a 3.5L hyundai as a PH6607. Can't blame Wal-mart for using the correct filter. Why should Wal-mart use a larger filter when it only opens up the door for more claims?

I accept that Wally*World's clueless, minimum-wage mavens are going strictly "by the book" in this matter, but, Fram's book is just plain wrong in regards to Hyundai/KIA current engines. The factory filter, the Hyundai/Kia 26300-35500*, is substantially larger than the 6607. The Fram 3593A (or its ST counterpart) is really the appropriate size. Throwing on grossly undersized oil filters, while not likely to actually cause an oil filter-related failure, would probably still be used by Hyundai or KIA to deny a warranty claim and at that point, subject to the whims of members of the American Trial Lawyers' Association, Fram and/or Wally*World might well find themselves the subject of a class-action suit by irate customers. Judges and juries are clueless, too, but the "drama" of holding up a 6607 next to a 2600-35500 would not likely be lost on anyone, save the legally blind, blonde, or both...

*itself a pretty decently made oil filter by the way - heavy gauge can, "P" cross-section mounting gasket similar to Honda's, metal end caps, tight pleats, spiral grooved center tube with surprisingly large holes, no fewer than 4 threads in the exit port, and a good ol' fashioned, honest to gosh, coil spring bypass valve for those who believe it makes a difference. They're packaged in the box with a shrink-wrap film over the business end to seal out dust, too. Most, if not all, Hyundai dealers' parts counters sell these filters for 4.95 each or three-for-the-price-of-two. Three filters for $9.90 is definitely within anyone's comfort zone. They'll also fit Hondas which have sufficient clearance for the older, "larger", Honda factory oil filters increasingly hard to find or requiring special ordering.

[ July 19, 2004, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

I agree, it's a poor filter for the application, and definately smaller, but that's typical for Fram.

I was just pointing out that it wasn't Wal-mart's fault.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
... According to the WIX website, the 51626 has the same bypass pressure as their "factory" sized 51334.

It also has noticeably larger gasket diameters!

2.834"OD 2.462"ID 0.200" thick.
vs
2.475"OD 2.173"ID 0.233" thick.

Your point is well taken. The gasket thickness hasn't been a problem. The gasket diameter is compensated for on my "Delta" 2.7L aluminum V6 engine with Hyundai's notably broad machined gasket contact surface (very forgiving). Definitely bears investigating with the 3.0L and 3.5L Mitsubishi-derived cast iron block V6s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back