When to change to Synthetic in Fiesta ST

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a brand new Ford Fiesta ST, and it came with MotorCraft semi Synthetic 5w20 from the factory. I now have 2500 miles on the car and am thinking about changing to Pennzoil Ultra 5W-20. Is it to early with 2500 miles? Should i wait a bit longer? By the way i did do an oil change at 200 miles with the MotorCraft.
Thoughts?
thank you THis is my first new car and i am also new to this Forum so go easy on me.

Welcome to the Forum!

Engine is still breaking in so getting the contaminants out of circulation in the engine is still needed. Doing a second LOF change now is what I'd do if I had your Fiesta.

Pennzoil Ultra 5W-20 is a great oil for your car.

It sounds like he already changed out the factory fill at 200 miles. If so, 2500 is too soon. Pu is a great oil. How much time and what type of driving? I'd go 8k miles on pu.

Whenever you want! You can switch back and forth between conventional and synthetic without any worries. (most conventional oils these days are already blended with synthetic anyway)

Originally Posted By: Vixenlotus
Is it to early with 2500 miles? Should i wait a bit longer?

Yes. a lot longer like 5k at least.

Unless you plan on doing longer OCI's (at least 7k) there is no reason to switch to synthetic at all IMO.

Congratulations on your new car!

And
welcome2.gif

I would go ahead and change it at 3k miles and then go to a regular change interval. The engine is still probably shedding some wear metals at 200-2000 miles.

Since you already dumped the factory fill extremely early what ever break in additives it may or may not of had are gone so its not going to benefit at all pushing this fill any further. Go ahead and dump it now to get rid of the break in metals and use the oil of your choice. PU will serve you well if thats what you would like to use. Its never too early to go with a synthetic
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

I respectfully disagree. Hes running shelf oil now and you know its got alot of metals in it from break in. No sense in keeping that junk in the sump to save $20.

Originally Posted By: jamesyarbrough

I respectfully disagree. Hes running shelf oil now and you know its got alot of metals in it from break in. No sense in keeping that junk in the sump to save $20.

That "junk" isn't in the sump. It's filtered out by the oil filter.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS

Exactly. Besides, the OP already did an oil change at 200 miles.

I have a brand new Ford Fiesta ST, and it came with MotorCraft semi Synthetic 5w20 from the factory

Do you know this for a fact and is the factory fill version of MC exactly the same as off the shelf MC?

Welcome to BITOG!!! I think you changed out the break-in oil way too early at 200 miles. I'd go ahead and change it out at least one more time with the same Motorcraft oil before eventually going to PU (the most awesome oil out there).

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
KCJeep said:

Exactly. Besides, the OP already did an oil change at 200 miles.

You guys know newer engines always show higher wear metals in uoas, sometimes even up to 50k they show slightly elevated wear metals.
The first 10k or so are generally the worst about wear metals throughout the life of the engine. Filters dont catch everything or else wear metals wouldn't be elevated in uoas of newer engines. Some wear metals like iron and such are abrasive, especially on soft metals like bearings.
Now this is just splitting hairs, I know, because if it was a serious issue the oem would specify shorter break in ocis. (But thats kinda what we do isnt it?)
So my point still stands. Why leave that junk in the sump to save $20? Theres absolutely nothing to gain when the FF was dumped at 200 miles, only thing to loose is suspended wear metals and the cost of the change.....and who knows it might extend the life of the engine from 300k to 320k.
laugh.gif

FF with assembly lubes and possibly break-in additives were dumped way too early. FF should have been left in till 2-3,000 miles or longer so the parts got broken-in and burnished properly. However: that being said, you can now put any oil in that mets specs. ed

Fords do not use break in oil or additives in the oil. On a new motor i wanted to get the metal bits out ASAP. In fact i cut open the orignal filter and saw all sorts of flakes, some black/silver colored but many copper colored. I am not sure if i should do one more change with Motorcraft semi or go with the P-Ultra.

Welcome to BITOG and congrats on your 1st new car. That Fiesta ST I'm sure is a fun car to drive.

That said, this engine is turbo and direct injected I would use at least a 30w IF Ford allows it. I would give up a few MPGs for longevity since most if not all DI Motors thin oil out.

So if you can I would run 5w30 synthetic of your choice. If a 5w20 is needed and is all Ford allows for your application run a 5w20 synthetic of your choice.

PU is good but PP (penzoil platinum) is too. Castrol Edge 5w20 is stout as well.

Go with the 30w though if you can.

Jeff

Last edited:
Fords do not use break in oil or additives in the oil. On a new motor i wanted to get the metal bits out ASAP. In fact i cut open the orignal filter and saw all sorts of flakes, some black/silver colored but many copper colored. I am not sure if i should do one more change with Motorcraft semi or go with the P-Ultra.

These threads come up very frequently here and the discussions are always the same. Some for, some against, and then those who will spell out how they feel you wasted oil. No point in me commenting about what I'd do, or have done. If you plan on doing another short OCI use the MC oil again. The truth is you can switch to PU right now, but if you plan on doing another short OCI I see no value in PU just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back