best oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
It is different for everyone.

Indeed.... for Fords, Motorcraft filters... everything else, purolator classics or pureones are my preferences as of late.

^ Considering Motorcraft is made by Purolator.
wink.gif

After 350K the cylinder head on my HO 5.9L Ram needed to be replaced.
Using Mobil 1 Filter and Rotella T6/T5 the cross hatch on the cylinders looked excellent and inside the engine had zero buildup of any type.
Oil pressure #s are running the same as when I left the dealership a dozen years ago and It runs better now than when it was new.
Cummins hit a home run with the HO 24 valve, Rotella (Shell) and
Mobil 1 filters work very well together.

Originally Posted By: pocketchange
Using Mobil 1 Filter and Rotella T6/T5 the cross hatch on the cylinders looked excellent and inside the engine had zero buildup of any type.
Oil pressure #s are running the same as when I left the dealership a dozen years ago and It runs better now than when it was new.

Rotella is an awsome oil,even though it's one of the many that aren't talked about much on these forums.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: whitson01
so i guess this has been asked here, maybe even posted. but what is the best oil filter? i guess you have to ask what makes it the best oil filter? obviously the efficiency of the filer and filtration quality is first. but what else? im sure it also depends on your application, size of motor, forced induction, etc.. the top filters that i have seen and read about, but dont have any actual hands on proof, are amsoil, royal purples, napa platinum, k&n, mobile 1, and im sure theres others.
so all you oil filter guru's please chime in.

Really like Motorcraft Oil Filters.. Seem to be made very very well and for the $ it looks very good, also most have Silacone ADBV.. If the model numbers ends with a ( s ) like
FL400S then you know the ADBV will be Silicone

Many people on the forums use Motorcraft.

Check one out on you tube and see how well they are made and how the bypass is at the TOP of the OIL FILTER..

I would use them for my Car but they are hard to find in this Area....

Or you can go with PURE ONE, Or Purolator

Just stay away from the FRAM EXTRA GAURD... OCOD...

The FRAM ULTRA is a well respected Filter and so is the Tough Gaurd...

However I would think about Motorcraft.

Click this link and look at the pics of a Motorcraft Oil Filter.

Its very heavy DUTY...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2540737

here Ill add a few

mc1d.jpg

mc2z.jpg

mc2a.jpg

mc4z.jpg

Last edited:
1989 Bonneville 3.8 engine. Bought new, always used synthetic oil, mostly Mobil 1, but in later years Pennzoil and Castrol synthetic also. Changed oil about every 10-12 months, 8-10k miles. Used standard AC, Fram, Bosh, and Purolator filters. Sold car 2 years ago @240,000 miles. Car ran perfectly, used about 1 quart per 5k miles. Valve area when viewed through oil filler hole was spotless, no buildup at all. Valve springs looked like new.

Originally Posted By: jerrya
1989 Bonneville 3.8 engine. Bought new, always used synthetic oil, mostly Mobil 1, but in later years Pennzoil and Castrol synthetic also. Changed oil about every 10-12 months, 8-10k miles. Used standard AC, Fram, Bosh, and Purolator filters. Sold car 2 years ago @240,000 miles. Car ran perfectly, used about 1 quart per 5k miles. Valve area when viewed through oil filler hole was spotless, no buildup at all. Valve springs looked like new.

Those 3.8's were nice engines but my LeSabre sure liked to eat alternators.

I saw no oil use in 160,000 miles with regular YBP/AC Delco changes.

Why all the hate for fram filters? Ive been using them for 20 years no problems my vehicles last 200000+ miles still run great when I sold them my friends use them with results of 300000 I've never heard anyone have trouble with them. Everybody on here hates them but nobody says why. Why????

Originally Posted By: pocketchange
Pocketchange-what length OCI (mileage & time) did you run on your '01, and did you ever get any UOAs? What failed on your cylinder head?

Originally Posted By: jim78
Why all the hate for fram filters? Ive been using them for 20 years no problems my vehicles last 200000+ miles still run great when I sold them my friends use them with results of 300000 I've never heard anyone have trouble with them. Everybody on here hates them but nobody says why. Why????

Since you only have 4 posts, it will take some time and reading here to know why. IMO, Fram makes mediocre (orange can) and also some very good oil filters (Ultra). Just depends on what you're using it on and how you perceive quality and value for you dollar compared to other filters on the market you could use instead.

If you compare a cut open Fram Extra Guard with other similar price filters such as Purolator, Motorcraft ... You will see that Fram Extra Guard has much less filter media but it's priced a little more than Purolator Classic. I don't see any reason to pay more and get less.

Fram Tough Gard is okay for its price, Fram Ultra is an excellent filter and costs less than competitors, therefore it's a good buy.

If you compare cartridge filters, Fram is not as good as German brands such as Mann, Hengst, Mahle, Bosch ... but cost more.

3.50 at Waterloo Illinois rural king there usaully 3.99 but u can always get them on sale not to bad for me.

As stated, there are just better constructed filters in the same price range.

FRAM has had a few documented failures like the Cummins diesel problem about a decade ago. FRAM did redesign their filter for that application.

Like others have said, the synthetic element FRAM Ultra promises to do a good job for most applications. I've used them and find them to be a good value bundled in the Advance Auto Castrol oil change deal.

See, that $3.50 isn't a bad price. It's possible now to get a Purolator Classic up here for $4. A Fram orange can is going to cost around double that. Where would the sense be in me purchasing an orange can?

On the other hand, the Purolator synthetic is around $12, and the Fram Ultra is similar, or a tiny bit cheaper (and other competitors are more money yet). Now, getting the Fram Ultra makes sense.

Anyone uses Fram oil filter? Just want to hear feedback about this oil filter(Especially if you already have using experience). Oil filter price isn't high thus want to know what should consider before buying this?

Originally Posted By: kqam
Anyone uses Fram oil filter?

Many here use the Fram Ultra (hard to beat) or the Fram Tough Guard (TG) ... both of those seem to be used more so than the Extra Gaurd (EG - orange can).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back