Fluid Film for stuck fasteners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious if anyone has tried fluid film as a penetrating oil for stuck nuts and bolts? Figured it creeps like crazy after application, but does so rather slowly, so maybe given time it would work well but that might mean quite a bit of time.

Far too viscous. Id use something like PB, kroil, or apparently ATF thinned with acetone works too...

Typically, you want a pretty low viscosity to get good creeping. Think that higher viscosity means more shear is needed to move the fluid, so with low viscosity the fluid will continue to move even with a minute amount of shear (gravity in this case).

I'd go with an actual formulated penetrating spray lube. There are so many uses for a good can of PSL that it's always worth the cost to pickup a can if you don't have any.

Well the situation I had more in mind was on older, rusty nuts and bolts that you know you will need to remove one day, but there is no current need.

For example, strut bolts or other such fasteners on a used car which you know will get replaced eventually but that time has yet to come. To me, it would seem FF would creep nicely over time while not evaporating and rinsing off as readily as a penetrating oil. But that is untested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back