15w 40 to thick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a little compact john Deere tractor 3cyl. Diesel my manual says put 10w 30 in it but I go get john Deere oil and mechanics say 15w 40 so that's what I've been running but that 15w 40 is very very thick especially in the winter. Should I run 5 40 or 10w 30 engine oil?

why not listen to the manual...im not familiar with that engine but its usually a good idea to do what the people that built the engine says to do.
By the way welcome to BITOG

Originally Posted By: jim78
I've got a little compact john Deere tractor 3cyl. Diesel my manual says put 10w 30 in it but I go get john Deere oil and mechanics say 15w 40 so that's what I've been running but that 15w 40 is very very thick especially in the winter. Should I run 5 40 or 10w 30 engine oil?

7d5837958ce54a00e72658daeabd80d37fe68753b3e4768c016576112f948e1a.jpg
a22ce6d4c99001fea5619aac59ca1099a60278fae51d27b25a6a2e123780f89e.jpg

I'd suggest:
Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 5w-40
Shell Rotella T5 10w-30
Shell Rotella T6 5w-40
Any good HDEO or Diesel rated 5w/10w-30/40 would be more then appropriate
Read your Owners Manual and report back
welcome2.gif

Running Rotella T6 5-40 in mine year around.
Tried Amsoil, Mobil 1 ESP, and now Rotella.
JD Plus 50 ll is real good oil, wish they would make a 5-40.

Jim

Don't blame the mechanics for the mis-information as everyone has been programmed over the last 20 years or so to just use 15w-40 in everything.

While 15w-40 will work, it won't be optimal, especially in colder weather. I always use the owners manual as a fail-safe reference.

If your owners manual calls for 10w-30 I would use it and re-evaluate your summer usage as you may be able to run it year around.

It would be REALLY helpful to know just where in the "usa" you live ...
15w-40 in the southern states is no issue, even in winter.
15w-40 in the upper plains is a big deal and will result in cold starting difficulties without aid of strong batteries and/or a block heater. Here, the thinner grade would be a big plus.

There is excellent service to be found in the 10w-30 HDEOs; they are capable in nearly every temp and for every service factor. I suspect your local JD folks are pre-programmed for the "thicker is better" mentality; predominant in the diesel world. But I and several others have had excellent success with thinner grades and have the data to back it up.

The "need" for syns is overblown. I can only agree to two conditions that would necessitate such use:
1) uber-stupid-cold temps (-20 F or below)
2) really LONG OCIs
If you're not going to be involved in those operational events, then syns will end up providing no benefit for the extra cost.

While I like to recommend dino 10w-30, it's not often easily found for all. JD has an excellent 10w-30 dino; roadrunner1 has many a testament for it's effectiveness. Given the presumptive small size of the sump, I realize that nothing is probably going to break the bank as far as cost goes. I would recommend T5 in 10w-30; it is an excellent blend of performance, ease of availability, and cost. Typically $16/gallon at about any WallyWorld.

Last edited:
The manuel probably means 10w30 hdeo. John deere makes Plus50II in 15w40 and 10w30. Both are hdeo's. Either would probably serve you well. Deere makes good lubricants. In florida, we use 15w40 for obvious reasions.

Using a 15w40 guarantees that you are using a qualiy diesel oil. Since a 10w30 diesel oil is pretty rare but a 10w30 gasser oil is common maybe thats why the guys recomend 15w40, making sure that you use the proper oil.

There is absolutely nothing rare about a 10w-30 HDEO as its been listed in several owners manuals since at least the mid '80's.

It may not be widely available wherever you retail shop for your lubricants, but its anything but rare. I have been using a 10w-30 HDEO for over 25 years in several small diesel applications and availability has never been an issue.

Rotella 5w40 or 10w30

Thanks for all the suggestions,I think the 15 40 is way to thick myself for initial start up and while the manual says 10 30 they could just be throwing a common number out there or it could be a good fuel saver number but not necessarily ultimate for the engine. But actually it's a yanmar engine on a jd so jd did not design nor made the engine. Even though the people designd the engine it doesn't exactly make them chemical engineers either. I don't blame the mechanics that's just what their used to.I think I will go with the 5 40 I dont lug her hard just used for mowing and simple blading. Thanks again for all the help I look forward to helping this group in the future.

You have a lot of guesses and assumptions in there. It sounds as though your mind was made up before you asked?

Thanks for all the suggestions,I think the 15 40 is way to thick myself for initial start up and while the manual says 10 30 they could just be throwing a common number out there or it could be a good fuel saver number but not necessarily ultimate for the engine. But actually it's a yanmar engine on a jd so jd did not design nor made the engine. Even though the people designed the engine it doesn't exactly make them chemical engineers either. I don't blame the mechanics that's just what their used to. I think I will go with the 5 40 I dont lug her hard just used for mowing and simple blading. Thanks again for all the help I look forward to helping this group in the future.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
There is absolutely nothing rare about a 10w-30 HDEO as its been listed in several owners manuals since at least the mid '80's.

It may not be widely available wherever you retail shop for your lubricants, but its anything but rare. I have been using a 10w-30 HDEO for over 25 years in several small diesel applications and availability has never been an issue.
ya its definatly hard to find here. Atleast at a decient price. Thats why i have so much 15w40. Id have 10w30 if it was as easy to find here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back