MMO is imperceptably thicker in cold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: turtlevette

Why not? As I already said above starting with a viscosity close to operating would be beneficial.

MMO is hilarious but mos2 is serious?

I find this board full of people with chips on their shoulders. Advise is all over the map. Very few have the technical knowledge to back up their opinion.

If you know better, why did you ask the question in the first place? I guess you expected everyone would agree with you, didn't you? And now you are angry. I wasted my time replying to the thread.

Hilarity aside, if someone wants thinner oil, why not just start with thinner oil? Mixing in MMO (or another thin motor oil) to thin an existing oil just adds to the confusion. MMO added to motor oil cleans the engine mostly because of the solvents in MMO - not the light weight mineral oil base.

For a seldom-used or classic vehicle, why not use 0w-nn synthetic oil? The owner's manual surely calls for something much heavier. 0w-nn synthetic oil has not been available for that many years and vehicle makers tend to be ultra conservative - two reasons 0w-nn might not be a recommended oil choice. If you do run the vehicle, you might get a oil pressure light warning at idle, but so what? That's a bit different than getting an oil pressure warning while cruising the interstate. The engine is lightly loaded at idle and as long as there's an adequate supply of oil you should be okay.

As for MoS2, that should be a very serious option. It's a dry film lubricant that will get into the bearings... and stay there... and not drain out. What more could you want? It should be just about ideal for the seldom-used or classic vehicle to lubricate on start-up. It might give you some other benefits as well, like reducing oil consumption past the rings.

Stop right there. You are making sense and some threads don't allow that.

Originally Posted By: dave5358
Hilarity aside, if someone wants thinner oil, why not just start with thinner oil?

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
If you know better, why did you ask the question in the first place? I guess you expected everyone would agree with you, didn't you? And now you are angry. I wasted my time replying to the thread.

I'm amused. Not angry at all. I like to get a good debate going.

I made a statement about oil/additives in a very specific application and was looking for discussion. Your answer was that I should build a garage and store my cars in such a way that I would not have to start them all winter.

That's not an answer out of left field? It's not just you. A guy asked if he could run 20 weight oil in his 70's car and the answer was to put a $4000 FI system on. Other recommendations were to check the O2 sensors and some other ridiculous stuff.

Why do people give advice if they don't have the knowledge and/or experience to back it up?

And the other side of that is this is an Internet forum. Ask a question and you get answers. You also get a lot of opinions and off topic discussion.

Not knocking you here, but the expectations seem way out of line. How could anyone imagine they would "like" all the answers?

But times a dozen on the start 'em only if you can drive 'em. I worked for a car collector when I was young who had a huge building full of classics, 4 of us were staffed there!

The iron clad rule was "don't start it at all unless you can DRIVE it for 30 minutes minimum". Most serious collectors follow this rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back