Mobil 1 0W-30, 11036 miles, Infinity 3.5L VQ35DE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Infiniti%20G35%20Oil%20Analysis%202%20%28Large%29.jpg

Latest UOA from my G35. Note that this was not M1 5W-30 but 0W-30 AFE. A mistake when I submitted the sample.

Previous UOA here - http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2939476

The lead is way up but nothing else seems unusual to me. I did change the plugs during this interval and used a good amount of anti-seize. Otherwise I don't have an explanation.

As always, comments welcome!

Eh, it's a minor spike. Watch it on the next one.

Which particular motor does your G35 have, the VQ35DE or VQ35HR?

IF I had your vehicle, I wouldn't go over 7,500 miles with the 3.5L VQ35DE engine (that is very hard on oil) and maybe only 5,000 depending on the driving style.

Do you think the extra anti-seize got into the cylinder or oil?

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
IF I had your vehicle, I wouldn't go over 7,500 miles with the 3.5L VQ35DE engine (that is very hard on oil) and maybe only 5,000 depending on the driving style.

The VQ35DE is not that hard on oil. The HR is a bit harder, but it's the VQ37 motors that really stress it.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Eh, it's a minor spike. Watch it on the next one.

Which particular motor does your G35 have, the VQ35DE or VQ35HR?

It's a DE in 2003 sedan

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain

No telling on the anti-seize. I've had these high lead numbers on other vehicles and have never been able to explain it. I would think if the lead numbers are rising I would also see other metals rising but just like in the other cases I'm not seeing it. Maybe I don't know what I'm looking at...

Tin is part of babbit bearings which in this case tin is 0. If this was a bearing spike then there should be several PPM of tin. Since UOAs are often inaccurate, so maybe the problem is the UOA. We've seen it before. If the bearings are a alum bi-metal materal, then the lead would be from someplace else.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Tin is part of babbit bearings which in this case tin is 0. If this was a bearing spike then there should be several PPM of tin. Since UOAs are often inaccurate, so maybe the problem is the UOA. We've seen it before. If the bearings are a alum bi-metal materal, then the lead would be from someplace else.

My thoughts also. I've been seeing the same thing on my 4Runner for multiple intervals. Elevated lead but no tin, minimal copper etc. I don't get it...

Last edited:
It seems strange that the lab is flagging the Base Number at 3.25 as "abnormal". I can't imagine how that would be "abnormal".

My impression is that All the vq35 motors are hard on oil when mated to a G35 or 350z. The 3.7 motor is hard on oil in a totally different way. One shears,the other cooks and shears.

Edit: this only applies if you drive it the way they lead you to believe is intended.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
Tin is part of babbit bearings which in this case tin is 0. If this was a bearing spike then there should be several PPM of tin. Since UOAs are often inaccurate, so maybe the problem is the UOA. We've seen it before.

I'm an analytical chemist. And I run an ICP all day. I'm actually writing this post from the computer that runs the ICP in my lab.

One thing to note is: Lead is VERY "sticky" in an ICP. It has a long lasting "shadow". If a heavy lead sample was run right before your sample, the lead from the previous sample can stick around inside the instrument and "bleed off" when your sample is run. Thus, it appears you have elevated levels of lead in your oil sample.

Another very sticky element is silver, but we don't worry about that on BITOG.

Things look great for a 11 year old car with 118k. Like others I would move on and keep doing with the oil reports. It's the best way to stay on top of it. Those numbers are in ppm and if you sent it to another lab you'll get a different number.

Same characteristics, but a different number.

Originally Posted By: razel
Things look great for a 11 year old car with 118k. Like others I would move on and keep doing with the oil reports. It's the best way to stay on top of it. Those numbers are in ppm and if you sent it to another lab you'll get a different number.

Same characteristics, but a different number.

I was never one to panic over UOA numbers. I do an analysis at every change to watch for potentially disastrous things that can be easily fixed like a coolant leak. A high lead number like this or the similar numbers I've seen on my 4Runner may be a source for worry but it's not like I'd ever tear an engine down over a UOA result. I'll wait until it fails and fix it then.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back