What maintenance/ repairs do you have planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TrevorS

Here's an idea: see if you can get a good deal on a car rental.

1) You won't spend as much money on the maintenance you've planned
2) You get a more reliable vehicle so less worry
3) You could get a more comfortable up to date vehicle
4) You will probably get better mpg and save enough gas money to pay for the rental
5) You won't incur hidden costs on your vehicle eg tire and suspension wear
6) You don't have to increase the mileage allowance on your insurance

If you're going to be putting on a lot of miles in a short amount of time, vehicle rentals with unlimited miles can pay off handsomely.

To be fair wouldn't you have to increase the mileage allowance on your insurance anyway if you're using your own car insurance with the rental? If you use the rental places insurance its far more expensive.

I agree with all of your other points except for this one.

Truck: I should change the oil in the diff's. I'm a bit worried, there has been a noise--but it could be the tires. Waiting for summer.

VW: I should change the coolant hoses, one feels a bit soft. Big long laundry list of stuff I should do, if I plan to keep it. I might have a long trip with it this spring though; if I take it then I ought to fix at least the circumspect hose.

Camry: tires at some point.

All: reapply oil coating at some point in the summer.

The CR-V just rolled over 100,000. Things that are due (or I want to do):

ATF change
Oil and filter change (done)
Clean VTEC screens
Replace serpentine belt
Replace spark plugs
Adjust valves
Change coolant

Install front anti-roll bar bushings and a JBR adj. rear bar on the Mazda
Annual track prep/inspection for the ti

At the next engine oil change, I will drain the conventional oil from the rear differential and put in RP synthetic. I got a good deal at a garage sale.

I changed the oil in the transfer case at the previous oil change.

Cars that belong to friends and family have a longer list:
2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser:
Lower control arms
Tie Rod ends
Front wheel bearings
rear shocks
It needs a timing belt replacement, but I am not doing that myself.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Front struts
Rear shocks
rear differential pinion seal

1965 F100:

Install tailgate
Pull steering column to paint
Pull steering wheel for new turn signal and steering wheel
All else fine

1967 Park Lane

Start body work in driver's quarter
Patch trunk
Fix dents
Prep for paint
Replace front suspension
Replace leaking transmission pan gasket

1973 Polara

Replace transmission pan gasket with Mopar one
All else fine

1991 Mazda 626

Fill door dings
Prep and paint
Mechanically fine

1998 Sable

New cylinder heads, gaskets, belt assembly and timing set

1968 Cougar

I'm not happy with the cam so change it otherwise perfect

1968 Mustang

Repaint body
Mechanically perfect

2004 Focus

Nothing, a great car

Originally Posted By: ddombrowski
Originally Posted By: TrevorS
Here's an idea: see if you can get a good deal on a car rental.
1) You won't spend as much money on the maintenance you've planned
2) You get a more reliable vehicle so less worry
3) You could get a more comfortable up to date vehicle
4) You will probably get better mpg and save enough gas money to pay for the rental
5) You won't incur hidden costs on your vehicle eg tire and suspension wear
6) You don't have to increase the mileage allowance on your insurance
If you're going to be putting on a lot of miles in a short amount of time, vehicle rentals with unlimited miles can pay off handsomely.

To be fair wouldn't you have to increase the mileage allowance on your insurance anyway if you're using your own car insurance with the rental? If you use the rental places insurance its far more expensive.

I agree with all of your other points except for this one.

Well they track it by asking for the mileage on the vehicles you own. They have no record of rental mileage.

And if it does bother you, you can buy insurance on certain credit cards (beyond the automatic insurance) for something like $30 a rental.

Well the 2014 is just about due for an oil change.

And in the 98 there are a few things that I need to do.
1) Replace rear differential pinion seal (been seeping for the last 10,000 miles or so).
2) Replace front rotors (front driver's side is horrible, starting to buck when slowing down)
3) Replace transmission hoses (previous owner replaced steel lines with hydraulic hose, and they are cracking and starting to leak as well)

I believe people now when they say that the entire Dodge truck will fall apart, but the Cummins will still be running. 307,000 miles and counting. No blowby whatsoever.

'03 RWD GMC Safari, 131k miles.

4L60E Transmission Rebuild (lost 3rd gear; common issue with these). I know you folks like photos:

Do I see Country of Origin.....China??
eek.gif

Not shown: New stator shaft, rebuilt converter, TruCool 4454 cooler, two cans of Lubeguard Kooler Kleen, clutch spring compressors, solid Teflon seal ring installers/sizers, bushing drivers.

Transmission serviced every 30k miles (give or take), no towing or hauling. Lost 3-4 clutches 7,300 miles after filter change and refill with ST unlicensed Dex III. Coincidence?

Going to replace the rear main seal while the transmission is out. Perhaps the freeze plugs on the back of the block as well.

Transmission fluid change and shift kit on the Grand Prix.
I am going to add a smaller supercharger pulley, larger down pipe, CAI, ZZP computer and some small stuff. Will still run and look stock but will have more get up and go.

Rear diff fluid and tranny drain and fill on the truck.

Since both of the grand Marquis now have 61K mi I may toss a set of plugs in them, mainly depends on how worn the couple I pull out are...

The '98 could probably use a cooling system flush, and about June both will get their yearly oil changes, otherwise if it ain't broke I'm not gonna fix it...

The old F150 will get a oil change in March or April, last was Dec 12 but it only turned 4K mi on that change today...

Got to finish assembling the 331 going in my '88 T-Bird and install along with a fresh transmission... Also rebuild the brake system(other than pads it's orig)...

Finish re assembling the '72 Comet, front end, brakes etc are all new or rebuilt... Also have to finish wiring electric fan, choke, after market electronic ignition etc, etc, etc...

So far it's gone from this

cometengineB4_zps284e5952.jpg

to this

freshpaint_zps7f95dcd2.jpg

comet306dec13_zps3aa0f3ca.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back