1991 k1500 Chevy Silverado oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1991 Chevy Silverado k 1500 5.7 liter throttle body injection and I was wondering what oil I should run brand wise in the viscosity. I live in of Minnesota and my truck also burns a little bit of oil on the startup not much to really worry about.

Oil brand will depend on your favorite manufacturer. I typically shop by price and usually settle on Quaker State.

5W30 would be a perfect viscosity year round. The 350 in your truck is not picky on oil.

I have the exact same truck, just a year older. The truck specs for 5w30. You'd be good with any conventional or synthetic.

What do you run in it now? How many miles on the truck? How many miles a year do you drive it?

I know this truck inside and out....so let me ask you a few questions:

1.) when you remove the PCV valve, is there a strong suction at the hose? (or unplug the hose from the base of throttle body, is there a lot of vacuum there?)

2.) When is the last time the plugs/wire/cap/rotor have been changed?

3.) Do you have a timing light? Make sure the timing is set to "0" when with the truck warmed up, and the "EST" wire disconnected

4.) Change your fuel filter

5.) Have you ever go through the throttle body and cleaned it up and replaced the gaskets?

6.) The tranny loves Valvoline MaxLife ATF and I've had good results adding a bottle or two of LubeGard Red as well.

Originally Posted By: chevytruck91
I have a 1991 Chevy Silverado k 1500 5.7 liter throttle body injection and I was wondering what oil I should run brand wise in the viscosity. I live in of Minnesota and my truck also burns a little bit of oil on the startup not much to really worry about.

5W30. I had same engine in my 1993 Suburban.

Since you in Minnesota.....I'd consider Rotella T6 5w40 over 5w30. It's got a much stronger add pack than conventional 5w30, which isn't going to hurt your flat tappet valve train one bit. I run an HDEO in my truck.

I had a '93 C1500 with a 350 TBI engine. Since your in MN, you probably see cold temps, like I do. I used to run Esso XD-3 0W30 HD synthetic in my 350 with minimal consumption and great cold weather performance. Plus the HDEO oil additive pack gave me peace of mind for the flat tappet cam. I sold mine a couple of years ago with 250K miles, and it's still on the road.

Something like Defy would be fine, as would just about any other 5w-30 out there. They're not that sensitive to oil choice. And those were, in my opinion, some of the finest trucks GM ever made.

I had a 1996 with the 5.7, it loved Castrol GTX HM, use a 5w30. It was a little noisier on Valvoline Maxlife.

I'd use a good HM 5w30.

It might help you with oil consumption, but I am not sure. Some of those engines had weak valve seals, and the best solution was rebuilding both cylinder heads. You probably don't want to do all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back