Roku 3 or another Apple TV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a new HDTV, a Samsung 46" smart TV. Been using an Apple TV for Netflix and iTunes, but the new smart TV can also do Amazon instant. I like that the Apple TV can stream movies I bought through iTunes which are on my computer. The older 32" LG is moving into my bedroom, and I'm trying to decide whether to get another Apple TV or a Roku 3 box for that one. Almost seems like a toss up, though I'm leaning slightly toward a Roku since I could easily swap the boxes between the two TVs. Any thoughts?

I have a small library, only 6 that I've actually bought from iTunes. Mostly I've rented through iTunes, but I have Amazon Prime now.

From what I read, the TV app writers want a single platform to write apps for. Not one for Vizio, one for Samsung, LG, etc. So shortly Roku will be built into smart TVs (it will be the smart in smart TVs) and the app writers just need to write to the Roku platform.

Consumer Reports says a Roku 2 is good enough, thats what I got.

Originally Posted By: Donald
From what I read, the TV app writers want a single platform to write apps for. Not one for Vizio, one for Samsung, LG, etc. So shortly Roku will be built into smart TVs (it will be the smart in smart TVs) and the app writers just need to write to the Roku platform.

Consumer Reports says a Roku 2 is good enough, thats what I got.

I think it's smart to buy a Roku (or Apple TV) for this reason. We have a Roku 3 and a Roku HD. I've been thinking of replacing the Roku HD with a 3...we watch a lot of YouTube. Roku promises that it'll come to the other Roku boxes, but who knows when.

If you are buying a Roku, absolutely get a 3. The difference in processing power is IMMEDIATELY apparent. Our Roku HD takes a while to load stuff, and the 3 is snappy. Like, smart phone or tablet snappy.

I'd have no problem with an Apple TV either. In fact, our neighbor has one, and the interface is definitely nicer than Roku's. The hardware is screaming fast as well. Both the Apple TV and Roku 3 are top-shelf products. Either one will serve you well.

Roku is the better option and they have TV listings that provide buying / renting movies.... like Vudu for instance.

When purchasing a Roku player, get the model that provides both wireless and wired hookups. I think it's Roku 2. One my of my Roku's lost it's wireless feed, so I was able to just plug-in a Ethernet cable to it and it still works great.

Without that 2nd feature, it would have been tossed in the garbage.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
When purchasing a Roku player, get the model that provides both wireless and wired hookups. I think it's Roku 2. One my of my Roku's lost it's wireless feed, so I was able to just plug-in a Ethernet cable to it and it still works great.

The Roku 3 has an RJ-45 jack as well. The only thing it really lacks is the older red/white/yellow RCA component connection that some of the other Roku boxes offer. The Roku 3 is HDMI only.

I have the now 3 year old Logitech Revue (Google TV). I love it. I still use it all the time. Full sized, paper thin, wireless keyboard. Full Google Chrome browser. You can browse the web just like on your desktop. No clunky apps to browse your favorite sites. However, you can still download any app you want from Google Play.

However, last year, Google stopped supporting it (no more upgrades). And this spring/summer, Google is coming out with a new version. It's supposed to be the end-all, be-all of web interfaces for your TV. I hope so.

I've never used Apple TV, but we got a Roku 3 for Christmas and we love it. One super slick feature that both my wife and I really enjoy is easy YouTube streaming from our tablets (her iPad and my Android) to the TV with no setup.

I've heard that Apple TV is nice, but I can definitely recommend the Roku.

Originally Posted By: riff1006
Read that Amazon Prime is raising their price to $119/year. That's a 50% jump from what I just paid.

And that's still a steal. I placed 89 orders with Amazon last year. My kids watch Prime Instant Video quite a bit too and my wife has used the Kindle lending library.

At $120, I won't even hesitate to renew.

As for the OP, we love our Roku. But if you truly can't decide, Get Both.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
The Roku 3 is HDMI only.

That's kind of a bummer because it means you can't use it as a music player unless you have a newer audio receiver with HDMI input. I wish it had optical or coax digital output so that I could ditch my current Logitech Squeezebox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back